Don't Starve: A Starving Story

Alright, so I have a bit of a complaint. Everyone else has pretty much the same complaint. 

Hunger: 

Hunger has not really been an issue since you were a fresh noob just starting out. I found the game to be just less challenging as it went on. So I proposed a challenge for myself... I turned everything that could possibly result in giving me food on less. (Including Walrus Camps) It turned out to be not MUCH of a challenge.... like at all..... I was absolutely cruising in the food department. I had stacks of meat in my fridge, plenty of jerky to heal me, and just plenty of pierogis. Although  I was SUPER low on fillers 90% of the game, I had still had enough meat.

This really says something.... Even after turning ALL food sources on 50% I was still ROLLING in the dough. I was doing fine. 

I propose this needs to be fixed. 

I know what's been going on with Klei recently, so I won't be like "KLEI KLEI KLEI FIX IT DO IT FIX IT MAKE IT BETTER!!!" No.... those people are annoying. But this game is just too easy. 

I might have to make another challenge for myself

All I'm really saying is just put emphasis on the game title (Thanks Minespatch!)

28 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Remember, most players are still struggling to keep themselves fed. Also, feeding one person is always easy on DST. Keeping a full server fed is another beast entirely. 

That is very true, but if we have 3 people at the minimum gathering food, it shouldn't be a problem. The problem is people who camp base munching all your food, or Wortox pplayers who don't eat souls because they can't deal with sanity.

54 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

What exactly do you propose? I agree that food is hardly a problem, and I'm fine with it becoming a harder problem. But I don't really want to spend any more time than I already do on hunger.

That's a good question.

Monster Meat: Make it to where cooked monster meat won't give you an egg from a bird, or when making food have it to where if you have a monster meat, it has to be combined with another piece of meat for it to negate the effect of the monsterness. SO then monster meat doesn't become COMPLETELY useless, just harder to use.

Ice: Remove it's use as a filler entirely. Only used for crafing and eating by itself.

Hunts: I would say increses the chances of surprises, but then you could just farm the surprises "Varg" for more food, so I need another solution.... 

Ohhh I got it! Have the "Hunt" have a chance to lead you not only to Koalafant, Varg, and Ewecus, but also a larger pool of mobs. For instance maybe you would chase the hunt only to find a  random critter. There are alot of mobs that could be put into this. Pigs, Rabbits, No-Eyed Deer, Beefalo, Hound, or literally anything that could possibly leave a print that is reasonable. Just nerf the hunts. So instead of getting 8 meat and a trunk 90% of the time, you only have a small chance of gettinng that. SO you could get like 3 rabbits in a row or something.

There are alot of things that need to be adjusted including Stone Fruit Bushes, but these are the 3 main things that need changing in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Ohhh I got it! Have the "Hunt" have a chance to lead you not only to Koalafant, Varg, and Ewecus, but also a larger pool of mobs. For instance maybe you would chase the hunt only to find a  random critter. There are alot of mobs that could be put into this. Pigs, Rabbits, No-Eyed Deer, Beefalo, Hound, or literally anything that could possibly leave a print that is reasonable. Just nerf the hunts. So instead of getting 8 meat and a trunk 90% of the time, you only have a small chance of gettinng that. SO you could get like 3 rabbits in a row or something

I feel like hunts are hardly a point of adjustment in this manner. They’re only a decent early game source and it’s already hard enough to find the Varg/Ewecus, so adding all those mobs would just turn them into a dream if you intentionally want to bump into them. Food is a hard place to balance not only because multiplayer, but because it is very well known the majority of the player base doesn’t find the game as easy as you do. So I’d say create your own challenges or use mods if you aren’t console.

1 hour ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

I feel like hunts are hardly a point of adjustment in this manner. They’re only a decent early game source and it’s already hard enough to find the Varg/Ewecus, so adding all those mobs would just turn them into a dream if you intentionally want to bump into them. Food is a hard place to balance not only because multiplayer, but because it is very well known the majority of the player base doesn’t find the game as easy as you do. So I’d say create your own challenges or use mods if you aren’t console.

I feel like hunts are hardly a point of adjustment in this manner. They’re only a decent early game source and it’s already hard enough to find the Varg/Ewecus, so adding all those mobs would just turn them into a dream if you intentionally want to bump into them: Who wants to bump into all those mobs? Again running into specific mobs would be a rare occasion. If you wanted to find a pig, there would be like a 1/10th chance. I don't think I'd ever want to run into a pig, rabbit, no eyed deer. I would be relatively happy for a beefalo, but again the odds are just too low. When you say "decent early game food source" I hope you know alot of people still use hunts for a quick meat boost late game. I know that there are alot of farms that can give you meat, but still late game players will still use it. Also it depends what you  mean by late game. Late game can be day 300+ for people or day 1000+ for others.

Food is a hard place to balance not only because multiplayer, but because it is very well known the majority of the player base doesn’t find the game as easy as you do. So I’d say create your own challenges or use mods if you aren’t console: Problem is I don't play PC, I play PS4. So I can't turn anything up I can only turn it down. Also the arguement (More like a statement) that this game is hard for others but maybe not you (This makes me sound like a God and I hate that. I'm not amazing at this game. I'm good at it, but it's not the easiest game ever.) Anyway, this game is called the Uncomprimising survival game. You think that would mean the game is supposed to just absolutely pummel you. It doesn't. 

Also one last thing. You say people struggle with hunger, but most of the time public server deaths are linked to hounds, frezzing, and darkness. Hunger is a death that I almost rarely see. It's easily avoidable.

Balance: This makes sense, It's hard to balance any game for that matter. These suggestions are just suggestions, I truely think monster meat, ice, and hunting trails should be nerfed. But that's just my opinion

Varg farms and the crazy people who want to dabble in Beefalo taming would be reasons to bump into them lol. You can go on a hunt for a “quick meat boost” but why? They’re great early because you can double up on discovering the map and getting a lot of food for a single person, but they take a while longer than any other option a person who’s established a base or the sorts would have, and the later you go the more likely you are to find surprises. And yeah, people don’t die often to starvation, but the other deaths are linked to it. They try to do things that prevent them from starving and then... I don’t typically join pubs, I play with my own friends, but I wanna say 15/20 of my public experiences are people joining and begging for directions to a base and pinging their hunger 24/7 lol. It’s especially prevalent on servers with 8+ people. But we’re both generalizing let’s be honest. We both say “I know X people who do this” when we both don’t have any real quantifiable evidence. The bottom line is food is definitely too abundant for a single or few people, but that is because it is a game designed with larger player counts in mind. 

5 minutes ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

They try to do things that prevent them from starving and then... I don’t typically join pubs, I play with my own friends, but I wanna say 15/20 of my public experiences are people joining and begging for directions to a base and pinging their hunger 24/7 lol. It’s especially prevalent on servers with 8+ people. But we’re both generalizing let’s be honest. We both say “I know X people who do this” when we both don’t have any real quantifiable evidence. The bottom line is food is definitely too abundant for a single or few people but that is because it is a game designed with larger player counts in mind. 

This makes sense (I would cover your early meat boost thing but I covered it in another reply so if your curious browse)

I like this, maybe there should be something in place to limit how much food there is going to be. So if you put the player limit on 2 there will be alot less, or if you put it on 12 there should be tons. Now I know a solo could put the server on private and crank up the player limit, but that's there server and there game so have fun. But for people who want a solo challenge without having to dabble in the settings there you go.

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

You're asking to put emphasis on the title in the game.:wilson_ecstatic:

Lol I was just a bit confused :D

Ah, another "well-fed starveling" fellow that clearly doesn't play pubs, the random Survival variety. Social and Co-Op worlds where no-one coordinates (or socializes for that matter) with no other person, some bulky 0 goals are kept in mind aside a mute internal screaming making people run around like headless chicken into the blackness of night (no torch included), and most developed bases are either le Crock Pot with Firepit and Science Machine in Mosaic under the Meteor field, or mentioned trio - the burnt variant - at Spawn Gate. Where "sacred music of the spheres" sounds of grumbling stomachs reverberate all day-round towards player's untimely starved yet glorious demise. Oh in the name of those Wilsons, Webbers and Weses that ended under Catcoons' fluffy paws: starvation clearly is not a problem for them to punch out-of-hungry-despair said cats! :encouragement:

I reckon >90% of total player-base disagrees with OP's statement, heh. ;)

41 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Monster Mea

So you want meatballs and pierogies nerfed? That really all that would effected. While other dishes do rarely get the chance to have 2 meats, they also require the use normal meats to be completed. The few dishes that allow for 2 m. meat without langnea chance is fishstickes and surf n turf. These few dishes are the exceptions because of priority and a stick but it shows that its a rare case. In most other dishes, it's not allowed. Having stand alone m. meat is still only available in a select few dishes, so requireing the need of combination of a good meat would just add tedem to cooking, which is not a good thing. There is also rarely a situation where you have more m. meat unless ypu are focused on making spider farms or playing as webber and wendy.

1 hour ago, GetRektKids said:

Ice: Remove it's use as a filler entirely. Only used for crafing and eating by itself.

So you want to nerf meatballs? That is the only (good) dish that can have 3 filler. Other, better dishes only have like 1 or no fillers at all.

Bacon n Eggs: 0/1 (if you use a tallbird egg)

Meaty Stew: 1

Surf n Turf: 0

Pierogi: 0

Waffles: 0

Icecream: 2? (That one actually requires ice)

All of wonderful dishes don't have much room for filler so why get rid of it? Sure dishes can have lots of filler but those dishes are either hard to mass produce or aren't that good. Any real good dishes could easily replace berries with ice so it wouldn't effect food all that much.

"Hunt"

I agree with @Kelloggs Dogfry. Hunts aren't really that much im need of nerfing. They provide a good meat boost for time spent tracking them and the chance to get a bad surprise is balenced enough. They have enough risk v gain to be useful but not op like you suggest. While it does provide a decent enough meat to make food for a few days but nothing more. It would take hunt after hunt for a good enough gain to be actually compareable to other sources. While hunts are powerful, they are in no need of nerfing.

18 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Who wants to bump into all those mobs?

Kohlaphant: Trunk is decent for single use healing and can be uaed for clothing

Varg: Hounds farming and a sudden increase of teeth and m. meat is very useful.

Ewcus: Beefalo 

22 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Problem is I don't play PC, I play PS4. So I can't turn anything up I can only turn it down.

I don't really understand this. While pc does provide with slightly better placment for better farms, the values are still the same. There might be difference in strategy and methods, but this isn't one of them. The values are the same across versions and thus the strategies remain the same across platforms and should have simular resaults.

Anyway, this game is called the Uncomprimising survival game. You think that would mean the game is supposed to just absolutely pummel you. It doesn't

It does pummel you, at the beginning. As you progress through the game and learn more, the game Will get easier. It seems to be easy after a while but that is just you getting better and better and with the games non linear progression system, it doesn't have a way to get harderand thus the game gets easier due to difficulty not increasing.

Archived