World Gen: Islands

Hello friends,

Since we have a new game update that includes the ocean, I think it would be a good idea to allow us to generate island biomes. 

I think the world could have many islands that consist of 2 to 5 biomes per island.

Another idea would be to allow us to pick if we want the world to have a bigger amount of smaller islands or fewer bigger islands. Smaller islands option would be mostly about exploration and survival while bigger islands option would still provide a good amount of exploration with greater base building aspects.

Simply told, I really like the idea of having to explore the ocean and gather resources that are necessary for survival.

What do you think? Would you like to have this feature? What other ideas do you have to make the island world more interesting?

2 hours ago, Bothead said:

I'm pretty sure Klei will add more land to the ocean in the future.

But seriously it would be quite disappointing if they just made the lunar island and rest of it is just water.

I would be shocked if the fields of seastacks don't become something else. They definitely seem like place holders for future retrofits. 

4 hours ago, -Animaster- said:

Hello friends,

Since we have a new game update that includes the ocean, I think it would be a good idea to allow us to generate island biomes. 

I think the world could have many islands that consist of 2 to 5 biomes per island.

Another idea would be to allow us to pick if we want the world to have a bigger amount of smaller islands or fewer bigger islands. Smaller islands option would be mostly about exploration and survival while bigger islands option would still provide a good amount of exploration with greater base building aspects.

Simply told, I really like the idea of having to explore the ocean and gather resources that are necessary for survival.

What do you think? Would you like to have this feature? What other ideas do you have to make the island world more interesting?

After players build "boat Bridges" between islands Archipelago will be as regular continent.

And there may be little problem with ruins and caves.

1 hour ago, maciu67 said:

After players build "boat Bridges" between islands Archipelago will be as regular continent.

And there may be little problem with ruins and caves.

That's why this should be fixed. Boats are not supposed to be used as bridges.

I think what could solve this issue is adding more mobs that drill holes around islands, crashing waves or simply allowing to build 1 boat per player.

Whirlpools that randomly open up swallowing boats that are stationary for far too long would be the simplest option I think... they flush it down like flushing a toilet, LOL!

But, that would also keep people from building awesome boat bases.. so, Maybe there should be some other way? -shrugs-

15 hours ago, -Animaster- said:

That's why this should be fixed. Boats are not supposed to be used as bridges.

I think what could solve this issue is adding more mobs that drill holes around islands, crashing waves or simply allowing to build 1 boat per player.

I do think klei should or might get rid of the whole "Boat bridge" thing. I mean it made navigation way too easy. You no longer have to put rivers and long walking distances into consideration when making a base. Just put some bridges between the thing and walk in a straight line. I feel like putting a boat limit for players isn't a good idea. Some people may have multiple loadouts for their boats. Some people also may just leave their boats in a dock and not use it for long amounts of time. So I'm not sure what a smart fix to this might be but it sure makes the game too easy.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:28 PM, NSAiswatchingus said:

I would be shocked if the fields of seastacks don't become something else. They definitely seem like place holders for future retrofits. 

True, the sea stacks are ALMOST pointless. The only use for them is RONKS and those sink once they hit water soo....

*SAD SEASTACK NOISES*

Well, I expect to see new islands in the future but I think it will take time. That's why allowing us to generate island worlds is a good alternative for now.

Also, I would really enjoy if the starting location would be a small island and you had to move to other islands to survive. This could be achieved with different world customization settings. Now there is no reason to move to other islands because all you need is on the main island. 

1 hour ago, -Animaster- said:

Well, I expect to see new islands in the future but I think it will take time. That's why allowing us to generate island worlds is a good alternative for now.

Also, I would really enjoy if the starting location would be a small island and you had to move to other islands to survive. This could be achieved with different world customization settings. Now there is no reason to move to other islands because all you need is on the main island. 

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe make it so we can turn the World Gen Spawn Area to Islands and that would spawn a chast with a boat kit and a few oars.

I think something needs to be done about placing boat kits to hop from island to island... this takes away ALOT of the games traveling now..

Maybe they should make the streams smaller so boats can’t fit in them?

or maybe they can line the edges of the map with like those obsidian pillars that surround the Pig King, because being able to Boat Kit Hop just makes Wortox’s Soul Hop completely Useless.

I do love the general idea of actual tiny little rope and wood Bridges between lands though- But I think you should have to place a bridge starting point on one side of that land.. and then travel all the way to the other area by foot to build the bridges other connecting point.

At least this way any bridges built had to be Earned first.. instead of just tossing a boat kit into the Water and Ta-Dah your done.

If they went with removing Boat Kit hopping and made actual connected bridges a thing this would make a Gap hopping Wortox significantly more useful in placing the bridges.

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think something needs to be done about placing boat kits to hop from island to island... this takes away ALOT of the games traveling now..

I think that's becouse boats are very slow, it's just easier and faster to use bridge kit instead.

3 hours ago, Kuba5565 said:

I think that's becouse boats are very slow, it's just easier and faster to use bridge kit instead.

Naw man I think you misunderstand me.. I’m not talking about the large bridge in between Lunar and Main Land.. 

I’m talking about the cleverly placed Boat Kits in tiny streams... I will update this post with a GiF to show what I mean later tonight.

E6F22E33-8FDA-4A97-A473-33103C0603A2.gif

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Naw man I think you misunderstand me.. I’m not talking about the large bridge in between Lunar and Main Land.. 

I’m talking about the cleverly placed Boat Kits in tiny streams... I will update this post with a GiF to show what I mean later tonight.

Oh ok i know what you mean, though i don't see to big of a problem with this one, it's really usefull if you're not Wortox. It also does not make soul hop useless, you can still use does in caves for example, or for kiting, besides souls are more usefull for healing at least for me.

29 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

Oh ok i know what you mean, though i don't see to big of a problem with this one, it's really usefull if you're not Wortox. It also does not make soul hop useless, you can still use does in caves for example, or for kiting, besides souls are more usefull for healing at least for me.

I kinda just want ACTUAL Wooden Bridges that require you to place the first half on one side of the island and the second half on the other island to build a real bridge between the lands instead of those ugly round cookie boats..

they will serve the same exact purpose- Except you will actually have to travel to the other Biome First in order to connect the bridge instead of just tossing a boat kit in the water as the answer to everything.

Archived