Suggestions for Newbie

Firstly hai 

Im newbie in this game and need some suggestions from you ^^ 

I know theres lots of guides/videos but i want to ask on here too.

Whats ur opinions about what should i do like first 10-20-30 days etc... and which things should i focus first.

Thanks a lot ^^

Wellcome to the forums.

I'm sure there are people who are more experienced in the game than i am, and more so with explaining something to someone but i'll can tell you what i always do in days 1-20.

Day 1 to 10 i mostly explore the world, gathering needed resources,food and looking for a good place to set up base you would have problems with health or hunger then try killing some butterflies there are great for that problem.

Good place for a base would be where all important biomes and resources you can't move are pretty close or at least you got wormhole's leading to them. For example important biomes are stone biome,swamp (where you can get reeds),savanna for beefalos and rabbits, and the orange biome with birchnut trees (i forgot how it's called) with pig king and glommer statue, spiders. Structures needed in base are firepit alchemy engine, some chests, crockpot or two, and lightning rod,bird cage (if you can) , and if you found gears a fridge. You can found gears in graves and tubleweeds also by killing clockworks which is more dangerous. And around day 7 there will be a hound attack it would be good to have at least spear and wooden armor.

Days 10-20

If i know were glommer is i'll go get him on 11 night which is a full moon. On those days i usually digging up saplings,grass turfs and berry bushes to plant them near my base, also i'm gathering stuff for winter like beefalo wool(you can get this when beefalo is sleeping by shaving them) and silk from spiders(you can kill them or set up some traps near their nests and then come back during the day to gather loot) for winter hats. During day 19 or 20 good thing is to craft thermal stone, this stone and winter hat should be enough to survive cold of winter.

I hope you find those tips usefull, besides there are lots of good tutorials everywhere, i learned playing thanks to them and watching other people play.

If i said something wrong or something is confusing feel free to correct me.

7 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

Wellcome to the forums.

I'm sure there are people who are more experienced in the game than i am, and more so with explaining something to someone but i'll can tell you what i always do in days 1-20.

Day 1 to 10 i mostly explore the world, gathering needed resources,food and looking for a good place to set up base you would have problems with health or hunger then try killing some butterflies there are great for that problem.

Good place for a base would be where all important biomes and resources you can't move are pretty close or at least you got wormhole's leading to them. For example important biomes are stone biome,swamp (where you can get reeds),savanna for beefalos and rabbits, and the orange biome with birchnut trees (i forgot how it's called) with pig king and glommer statue, spiders. Structures needed in base are firepit alchemy engine, some chests, crockpot or two, and lightning rod,bird cage (if you can) , and if you found gears a fridge. You can found gears in graves and tubleweeds also by killing clockworks which is more dangerous. And around day 7 there will be a hound attack it would be good to have at least spear and wooden armor.

Days 10-20

If i know were glommer is i'll go get him on 11 night which is a full moon. On those days i usually digging up saplings,grass turfs and berry bushes to plant them near my base, also i'm gathering stuff for winter like beefalo wool(you can get this when beefalo is sleeping by shaving them) and silk from spiders(you can kill them or set up some traps near their nests and then come back during the day to gather loot) for winter hats. During day 19 or 20 good thing is to craft thermal stone, this stone and winter hat should be enough to survive cold of winter.

I hope you find those tips usefull, besides there are lots of good tutorials everywhere, i learned playing thanks to them and watching other people play.

If i said something wrong or something is confusing feel free to correct me.

Thank u for all these useful tips/informations ^^ , I will try to do them on my own world 

Thanks a lot again

The first thing I learned the hard way was that the first day you need to focus to get 2 grass and 2 twigs to craft a torch, and save it in your inventory.

It may sound silly but when you are learning about the game and start focusing on many things at once, forgetting to craft some light and dying at night is the most common mistake I made. Always have a torch on you.

Second important thing is that you can precraft things but keep it in yourself, without occupying room in your inventory. So you could precraft a campfire for example, ready to place, but save it for later when you need it. Precrafting things and not placing them is a good way to carry many more things. I recommend always having a campfire, a firepit, and a tent precrafted on you.

Third, what @Kuba5565 said was spot on for the first few days.

Last: Watch videos and engage with knowledgeable twitch streamers (preferably those that play without mods) that will let you understand all the stages of the game faster. Try to get the ropes of all the basics before jumping into multiplayer games, since some people are nice to newcomers but others do not have that much patience. usually it is required that everyone has the skills to at least feed and gather on their own.

Good luck and Don't starve!

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The first thing I learned the hard way was that the first day you need to focus to get 2 grass and 2 twigs to craft a torch, and save it in your inventory.

It may sound silly but when you are learning about the game and start focusing on many things at once, forgetting to craft some light and dying at night is the most common mistake I made. Always have a torch on you.

Second important thing is that you can precraft things but keep it in yourself, without occupying room in your inventory. So you could precraft a campfire for example, ready to place, but save it for later when you need it. Precrafting things and not placing them is a good way to carry many more things. I recommend always having a campfire, a firepit, and a tent precrafted on you.

Third, what @Kuba5565 said was spot on for the first few days.

Last: Watch videos and engage with knowledgeable twitch streamers (preferably those that play without mods) that will let you understand all the stages of the game faster.

Good luck and Don't starve!

Thanks a lot for tips ^^

Just be persistent and don't give up, i can basically write a small book/guide about what is most efficient to do in DST but that won't help you and will just overwhelm you.

Some stuff you can't avoid:

By the way, be careful of night on day 30, deerclops spawns and is quite annoying as it will destroy your base, if you hear the sound as long as you are ready to run at that moment or just make a fire elsewhere for the night, away from base. 

Winter just use thermal stone, it is really easy to deal with in DST because thermal stones function way  differently compared to DS, you can easily craft beefalo hat i think that it is new player friendly to have it.

Summer basically, if you are playing on default settings just go into caves, you don't want your whole forests and world burning up. 

If you want advice on which character to play, i'd suggest WX or Wigfrid, maybe Wigfrid until you understand the game a bit after that WX as you'll be able to farm up gears and have 400 hp. 

Just explore the game on your own, that's what i found the most enjoyable when i started, i didn't like watching guides on youtube or using wiki, which i started doing once i wanted to learn the most efficient ways to deal with bosses.

7 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Just explore the game on your own, that's what i found the most enjoyable when i started, i didn't like watching guides on youtube or using wiki, which i started doing once i wanted to learn the most efficient ways to deal with bosses.

This too, the game can be daunting at first and you will find on the internet many people rushing bosses, or building megabases, thats like 10 steps ahead of learning the game. 

First try to get the ropes of the basic survival, it does take a while and its one of the most fun experiences of the game. Once you feel you kinda can survive on your own pretty well until at least winter, then I'd recommend to start checking specific topics you'd like to improve upon on the internet (youtube, guides, twitch, wiki, etc).

I agree with all these previous tips. This is a trial and error game, so don't be afraid to try stuff out.

Also, when you explore during the beginning days of your world, I recommend that you explore on the edge of the world, until you have the whole edge explored.

I'm a console player, so I never tried this game with mods, but I highly recommend that you play without mods, so that you won't get into a habit of relying on them.

Well, without spoiling too much of the game for you (I’m sure videos tutorials might do that for you anyway without my help) 

the first thing you want to do as soon as you spawn is immediately run around collecting grass, saplings and if you can find it Flint. And if your caught out at night without resources from Day 2 you should still have plenty grass and saplings to craft 2 torches with to survive the night.

By Day 2 you should be have found flint and crafted Pickaxes and Wood Axes by now- spend the Entirety of Day 2 collecting Wood with the Axe and Rocks with Pickaxe, and if you can find it, Golden Ingots. By the Time Night falls you should have enough resources to craft a permant Campfire, and a Science Machine.

Day 3- As soon as the Science Machine is built immediately craft a Backpack to carry a lot more stuff in, then refine some grass into spears for battle.

Take a Hammer to Pig homes for laughably easy gathering of wooden planks and cut stones to upgrade your Science Machine to an Alchemy Engine.

Thats it, that’s the basics. Enjoy the game, have fun!

My tip is a bit more general than the previous ones, but i'd recommend keeping a mental note of everything that causes your death, and learn to overcome each cause individually. You can then combine each individual lesson into an overall strategy.

There are a ton of super helpful guides, I still reference the wiki all the time, and youtube also has an absolute ton of extremely helpful vids. But early on it can be a bit much to take in, and without a frame of reference it can be hard to understand why and how you need to do things.

I'd recommend getting a Science and Alchemy machine for sure every playthrough, kinda asap, then just play a bunch. Eventually you will get a good idea of what info you need to research, as opposed to taking all info possible in and overloading yourself.

There also is no right way to do things. Some people like to do the nomad thing, live off the land, stay on the move. Some people like to hunker down at a big base and make expeditions into the world as needed. Almost every problem has multiple solutions, and it can be difficult to know what solution is right for you before you actually encounter the problem in game.

So tl:dr, play as much as you can. Dont be afraid to die and start a new map, those deaths are going to be the best lessons/information you get. The feeling of finally mastering a season is a great one, topped only by mastering the big bad fights. And keep the wiki close by when you play. Its great for referencing items and materials on the fly.

Best of luck to you.

Im really appricated for all these suggestions =) , Thanks a lot for all of you ^^

I just want to ask , i heard some words while watching streams '' Gears and Pig King or something like that '' 

What are they? I mean what should i do after i find them

Thanks again

Gears are items that you can use, during the first part of the game at least, to craft a fridge and keep your food from spoiling for longer. It's not really mandatory to find them, but it does help in the long run. You have a random chance to find gears by digging graves, in tumbleweeds, or if clockworks (robots) appear on the surface. But be careful, clockworks can be really strong foes, so I'd avoid that fight until you are more comfortable with the fight system.

The robot character (WX78) can heal and upgrade himself by eating gears, so some people rush to get a lot of those by running to the ruins. I don't recommend any of that until you've played a bunch of the game.

Pig King is a neutral lazy bastard mob in the center of a pig village. He accepts trinkets, meat or eggs and gives you gold in return. He can't be killed, its part of the biome forever. It's not mandatory to find him either, but keep it in mind if you need gold. On the same biome Pig king is located, you wil always find a lot of pigs, and a few other interesting things like the glommer statue.

4 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Gears are items that you can use, during the first part of the game at least, to craft a fridge and keep your food from spoiling for longer. It's not really mandatory to find them, but it does help in the long run. You have a random chance to find gears by digging graves, in tumbleweeds, or if clockworks (robots) appear on the surface. But be careful, clockworks can be really strong foes, so I'd avoid that fight until you are more comfortable with the fight system.

Pig King is a neutral lazy bastard mob in the center of a pig village. He accepts trinkets, meat or eggs and gives you gold in return. He can't be killed, its part of the biome forever. It's not mandatory to find him either, but keep it in mind if you need gold. On the same biome Pig king is located, you wil always find a lot of pigs, and a few other interesting things like the glommer statue.

Thank u , so i guess that means i will need lots of gold in late game? ^^

Just now, Kyruel said:

Thank u , so i guess that means i will need lots of gold in late game? ^^

It depends on your goals and playstyle, it's not really mandatory to get that much gold. Gold is not a currency, as in other games, its just another crafting material. You will need a bunch during the early game: both science machines require gold, the lightning rod requires gold, etc.

Later in the game you will mostly find yourself only using gold for life giving amulets (a portable way to revive) and gold tools, such as as gold axes or gold pickaxes, which last longer than the flint regular ones. But you can do without anyway.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

It depends on your goals and playstyle, it's not really mandatory to get that much gold. Gold is not a currency, as in other games, its just another crafting material. You will need a bunch during the early game: both science machines require gold, the lightning rod requires gold, etc.

Later in the game you will mostly find yourself only using gold for life giving amulets (a portable way to revive) and gold tools, such as as gold axes or gold pickaxes, which last longer than the flint regular ones. But you can do without anyway.

Oh okay got it , i asked cause nearly most of videos i watched , people looking for Pig king and Pig village to settle near of them.

5 minutes ago, Kyruel said:

Oh okay got it , i asked cause nearly most of videos i watched , people looking for Pig king and Pig village to settle near of them.

Yeah, that is common.

I think some people settles next to pig king because pigs can provide some passive protection from attacks (they attack monsters), and can be "hired" with meat to chop trees for you or to fight a bit for you.

But you can settle anywhere, all biomes offer some advantages and disadvantages and most people have their own favorite. Also, pig houses can be relocated so you can make your own pig village anywhere later on, and Pig King can be visited when you need gold like once and then.

My playstyle usually involves discovering all the outerlines of the map (land) by day 7-8 and then thinking about where to build the base. during the 7-8 days I usually collect basic recourses and prebuild things like science machine, chests, backpacks ice box, crockpots, etc. So when i find the perfect base area i just build it all in an instant. after that i start to prepare for winter, stuffs like finding walrus camps and finding beefalo for their wool.(and also crafting a thermal stone ready for the first day of winter)

during the first 8ish days of winter i just keep collecting basic recourses and expanding the base by adding more chests and stuff. Also around that time i start doing little voyages with boats with the goal of finding the lunar island before spring. If i get lucky ill have a rockfruit farm ready for spring which is basicly and nonstop food regenerator. And also after clops has spawned and you have killed it, you have the best possible help for spring rain, which is the eyebrella.

(I forgot to mention that you dont actually need to find the lunar island that quickly if you dont want to. I just wanna find it because i love rockfruits and the glasstools. you can totally skip the part of sailing if youre not ready yet.)

17 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Yep. Always have a light source on you; if not a torch, then a miner helmet, lantern, or moggles. (There are other options but they're harder to get and more situational.) If you don't have a light source, have at least two twigs and at least two grass. I also recommend prebuilding a campfire and endothermic fire. You won't really need to use the endothermic fire for keeping cool except in summer, so it becomes an emergency light source that takes no inventory space and is unlikely to be used up before you need it.

Once I've decided where to put my base, my first priorities after placing a science machine and fire pit are an alchemy engine, a crockpot, and a prestihatitator. I personally don't like exploring for more than 2-4 days before putting down a base because I can't even make a shovel or a spear or a log suit while I'm wandering, but your mileage may vary, especially if you're a Wickerbottom main.

It's useful to locate the deciduous forest biome and the Glommer statue (always near the Pig King) before the first full moon, or failing that before the second full moon. It's also useful to find the oasis before summer arrives. Even if you're in the caves for summer you should still be aware of the antlion, since she'll drop rocks on you when she's angry.

There will be rock piles above ground, use a pick axe to mine them and open sinkhole. This will let you travel to the caves. Keep in mind an open sinkhole will spawn batallisks during dusk and night. They are aggressive, and while they have low health and damage a pack of them can mess you up. They are easy to outrun though, probably the best way to deal with them early on.

The caves are.....its a bunch to explain lol. They arent a small secondary area, the caves are its own world with its own biomes and creatures. The main thing to keep in mind is there will be a constant sanity drain, and light can be an issue.

If you plan on going down there the one specific thing I would suggest obtaining is a Lantern. I cant remember the crafting recipe off the top of my head, im sure someone can help with that. But the Lantern is a fairly easy craft that provides reliable light. The main ingredient is lightbulbs, which are found in the caves (small plants with 1-3 glowing white bulbs that light up). It is refueled with light bulbs, and can be set on the ground while lit to free up your hands for work. This saves you from using grass/twigs/logs for creating light.

There is also the miners hat, but obtaining live moles for the craft is a bit less straight forward.

Anyway, i recommend making cave trips short at first until you have a firm grasp up top, but if you want to jump in the deep end the same rules apply.

This thing I'm about to post I made in EARLY 2018, so expect it to be outdated or just even wrong.  (God finding this post sucked...)

I thought that we would throw some helpful hints out there for beginners. You know.... just to help them so they don't die before day 40.

These are going to be 5+ tips that I've learned over my DST career.

1 - Don't make a winter hat - Winter hats are pretty much useless.... well the only one I consider making is the Beefalo hat and still I hardly make that. So just ignore winter hats, all you need is your trusty thermal stone.

2 - IGNORE WILLOW - I don't care how good you are LEAVE WILLOW ALONE! She is overall just a bad character.... please...... (IGNORE THIS, THIS WAS BEFORE THE BUFF)

3 - Stay away from caves - Caves are a GREAT place to get the AWESOME resources, but as a beginner, it's a nightmare. Just go down there get 20 lightbulbs to make a lantern and leave.

4 - I always make my base the same way every time. I get 80 rocks, 40 logs, 30 grass, 30 twigs, 20 charcoal, 10 gold. It makes a good base. It makes an alchemy engine, firepit, thermal measurer, rainometer, 3 crockpots. It works for me really well. You could also get 80 petals, 30 berry bushes, 25 twig saplings, 25 grass tufts. After you get that you feed 4 monster meat to a pig throw the petals on the ground and wait for the poop. (When a were-pig eats anything besides seeds he poops) You could also throw in some red mushrooms to kill him, sorry I don't know the exact number. You can normally get this all set up by day 7 or less if you have 3+ people

5 - You could also get 80 petals, 30 berry bushes, 25 twig saplings, 25 grass tufts. After you get that you feed 4 monster meat to a pig throw the petals on the ground and wait for the poop. (When a were-pig eats anything besides seeds he poops) You could also throw in some red mushrooms to kill him, sorry I don't know the exact number. 

6 - DON'T EAT RAW FOOD - OMG THIS ONE REALLY GETS AT ME! ......PEOPLE WILL JUST EAT RAW NEXT TO A CAMPFIRE UGHHHH (DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOUR STARVING COOKING IT GIVES MORE HUNGER AND HEALTH VALUE)

7 - Don't camp Beefalo - I've seen people just camp beefalo and It is really annoying... don't do that there are a lot better things to do than that you don't need 72 improved farms... Also, don't make basic farms, please

8 - Sanity - Sanity, in my opinion, is one of the easiest things to deal with in DST, but I play Wigfrid sooooooo yeah... ANYWAY ways to deal with sanity is to kill nightmare creatures. THESE LITTLE ANNOYING BUTTHOLES are REALLY easy to kite. (Bait attack come and back attack repeat) Sanity hats. I highly hate the flower garland. It's a waste of manure (read #5) and they hardly do anything. now don't quote me on this but green mushrooms heal sanity if cooked, but if they are raw and you eat them I believe they are -50 sanity

Anyway, that was my last tip I can give (There's a lot more I just don't want to type them) So how about you guys? Do you guys got any more tips? Sorry if there are any typos! :D

Please don't start arguments about #2! (Lol this statement, this was before Willow was buffed XD)

43 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

If you plan on going down there the one specific thing I would suggest obtaining is a Lantern. I cant remember the crafting recipe off the top of my head, im sure someone can help with that.

2 lightbulbs, 2 rope, 3 twigs 

I'm pretty sure that's right

The caves are a whole other world, with completely different resources than above ground. During the beginning days of your world, the only thing you really need to do in the caves is collect lightbulbs to make a lantern.

But yeah, tips for caves is a whole other topic by itself, with it's own videos on Youtube that you can watch.. In the caves, there are a collection of biomes mushed together called the ruins. The ruins are by far the hardest and most dangerous area in the game, but it is also the area with the most rewarding loot, and you're going to have to go there eventually anyways, if you ever want to defeat the "final boss" of the game.

2 hours ago, Kyruel said:

Thanks a lot for these awesome suggestions ^^ , I have one more question whats that caves? Theres harder mobs inside it  ? Or maybe more valuable resources there ? And how can i find the entrance? 

Thank you

One small thing to add to what everyone said. When you create a world caves are optional. You always need to manually activate the world to have caves when it is created. If you host your own world and don't remember having clicked on a "caves on" setting, chances are that world has no caves and you will not find any.

One thing you need to be worried about in the caves: Depths worms. They attack players about as often as hounds do, but instead of a huge pack of weak enemies there's a few strong ones. Occasionally you'll see one by itself too; they can disguise themselves as glow berries. You ABSOLUTELY need to wear armour when you fight them.

Archived