Do developers check bug tracker?

Sanitar

On 2019-12-03 at 9:24 PM, JoeW said:

Hamlet isn't in active development at this time. But should we decide to go back for an update, that's where we'd be looking for bugs to fix. 

God, you guys are just a bunch of shady politicians. Like, holy crap. Way to skirt the issue. I think we’ve all had enough of your hella vague “if we happen to decide” BS. Just answer the bloody question already! Do you anticipate ever coming back or not?? We’ve waited three quarters of a year already and you guys have given us absolutely NOTHING. The least you could possibly do is tell us what the deal is here! Even if you told us that you don’t think there will be another update, at least that’s something. But it is just plain disrespectful to leave fans of ANY game in the dark, never mind one as recent as Hamlet.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:26 PM, SpoonyBardIV said:

God, you guys are just a bunch of shady politicians. Like, holy crap. Way to skirt the issue. I think we’ve all had enough of your hella vague “if we happen to decide” BS. Just answer the bloody question already! Do you anticipate ever coming back or not?? We’ve waited three quarters of a year already and you guys have given us absolutely NOTHING. The least you could possibly do is tell us what the deal is here! Even if you told us that you don’t think there will be another update, at least that’s something. But it is just plain disrespectful to leave fans of ANY game in the dark, never mind one as recent as Hamlet.

Not saying I disagree entirely, but that answer more or less should have been the expected answer in first place. Game development and the business behind it can change on a dime for a multitude of reasons at any point in time, which means public relations and trust needs to be handled carefully, because anything they say can be outdated or irrelevant at any time for any reason, even if it's not on purpose. In situations such as this where a certain project is not a primary focus but people are asking "HEY! What's up?", you the game developer can't just outright say "we'll work on this in the future" or "we won't work on this" unless you are literally able to predict the future, because circumstances can change even unexpectedly. So, lots of what they say needs to be future proofed to keep trust. Saying "if we happen to" is completely different then "When" in this context.

For example, they could announce that they have plans for Hamlet in the future, even just bugfixes. But what if they never get to those plans? What if they did start working on it, but then have to shelf or scrap it completely later on because circumstances changed? That would piss people off at least 10 times more, trust between the company and players would be damaged, and it all could have been avoided by just being silent and showing something only when its ready. But at the same time, they can say "x project is done/never happening" but circumstances later change to where it is viable/possible to work on it, making the original statement seem utterly silly or hypocritical. How many threads were locked under the notion that multiplayer in Don't Starve will never exist, again?

Would more communication be helpful and quell some of the tension behind it? Perhaps, it does seem like Hamlet was just left in the dark with no comment, which is concerning considering the state of the game and the sheer amount of bugs still present, or features that feel half-baked. But "no one is working on it at this time" is a pretty standard reason for why a game isn't being developed, for whatever reasons as to why. It's not worded that way for no reason, Joe's response was short but the word choice was careful, and it's not because he a shady game politician trying to shove this all under a rug like it was some conspiracy.

My thoughts overall are that the devs do probably want to go back to Hamlet eventually, but the question as to whether or not they can or will is still up in the air until they know. DST is obviously in very active development, and likely makes a good a chunk of money decent enough players counts right now to keep it in active development, so a chunk of devs will stay with it. And of course, they develop other games that aren't 6 years old that are going to have to pay the bills when DS/T eventually bites the bullet in the long term, so giving a solid answer on the future of Hamlet would indeed be a very hard at the moment, despite how negative the forums are about it. 

TL;DR PR in game development is tricky. If it gives you any hope, we were in a similar situation with Shipwrecked after it released, except there was complete radio silence about it until Home Sea Home was announced. Hamlet itself was also announced in that same thread. I know it's not completely assuring, but it's at least important to not be so negative. Showing that there is still love and support for this game can only help the situation if it has an impact, remember that.

1 hour ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Not saying I disagree entirely, but that answer more or less should have been the expected answer in first place. Game development and the business behind it can change on a dime for a multitude of reasons at any point in time. In situations such as this where a certain project is not a primary focus but people are asking "HEY! What's up?", you can't just outright say "we'll work on this in the future" or "we won't work on this" unless you are literally able to predict the future, because anything you say to the public could be irrelevant or outdated at any time for any reason.

For example, they could announce that they have plans for Hamlet in the future, but what if they never get to those plans? What if they did start working on it, but then have to shelf or scrap it completely later on because circumstances changed? That would piss people off at least 10 times more than if they just said nothing. But at the same time, they can say "x project is done/never happening" but circumstances later change to where it is viable/possible to work on it, making the original statement seem utterly silly. I mean, that's how DST came into existence afterall... How many threads were locked under the notion that multiplayer in Don't Starve will never exist, again?

Would more communication be helpful and quell some of the tension behind it? Perhaps, it does seem like Hamlet was just left in the dark with no comment, which is concerning considering the state of the game and the sheer amount of bugs still present, or features that feel half-baked. But "no one is working on it at this time" is a pretty standard reason for why a game isn't being developed, for whatever reasons as to why. It's not worded that way for no reason, Joe's response was short but the word choice was careful. 

My thoughts overall are that the devs do probably want to go back to Hamlet eventually, but the question as to whether or not they can or will is still up in the air. DST is obviously in very active development, and likely makes a good a chunk of money right now to keep it in active development. And of course, they develop other games that aren't 6 years old that are going to have to pay the bills when DS/T eventually bites the bullet in the long term, so giving a solid answer on the future of Hamlet would indeed be a very hard at the moment, despite how negative the forums are about it.

You know what? I agree with you.

Still salty that Hamlet released the way it did though. And the fact that seasons/Aporkalypse have not been changed at all since early access.

Just now, Roosev said:

You know what? I agree with you.

Still salty that Hamlet released the way it did though. And the fact that seasons/Aporkalypse have not been changed at all since early access.

It's still a crappy situation, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely in favor for at least one more decent update, even just general polish.

16 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

TL;DR PR in game development is tricky. If it gives you any hope, we were in a similar situation with Shipwrecked after it released, except there was complete radio silence about it until Home Sea Home was announced. Hamlet itself was also announced in that same thread. I know it's not completely assuring, but it's at least important to not be so negative. Showing that there is still love and support for this game can only help the situation if it has an impact, remember that.

Thank you.  I think essentially browbeating the dev's in the forums would not have the effect of making them want to work more on Hamlet.  

Archived