Summer, spring, winter, and autumn

Autumn:You have no troubles the first autumn is peaceful fine I get it but like after the first autumn you just sit there.

spring:it rains oh no I dont happen to have a helmet and a umbrella or the eyebrella.WhAt abOUt FrOG RaIn ya mean the thing that can take out the moose goose for you that you dont even have to fight.

summer:just sit with ur flings and eat some of those berries but that's about it for antlion just move from ur base and that's it.

Winter:oh no no fruits or veggies how sad but hey look ice and hey look monster meat guess I'm good on fud see deerclops isn't tough enough to do anything get like 3 spears and 2 helms boom done.

I know I skipped the dfly and ruins but those aren't mandatory to deal with same goes for hounds you can just kill em for the first year and then make traps.

There isn't enough mandatory stuff to do that doesnt leave me sitting there typing this cus there is nothing to do on day 32 as warly W A R L Y the guy that needs different foods and has more hunger drain.

I'm just saying there needs to be more stuff that you have to deal with so I dont end up sitting on a boat doin nothing wait for my food to disappear. That's just my opinion tho I still like the game

I tried to fix it if that makes it any better

Once you've gotten to the point where surviving is no problem, you kind of have to find new things to do. Set new goals for yourself and do the things that aren't mandatory per se. Go kill dragonfly. Clear the ruins. Make a volt goat farm. Do the moonstone event. Herd geckos. Create a base in monkey hell. It's kinda up to you to figure out what to do. Maybe you can find some inspiration in the screenshot showcase thread.

Wow, slow down there, you have a bunch of good points but when you literally puke your unorganized thoughts like that in a wall of text without pauses, punctuation and organization, it becomes very unwelcoming.

I agree that Seasons can get repetitive and underwhelming. Personally seasons in DST are my favorite piece of game design because they give the sense of progression and challenge that is felt by all players; a mandatory progression. However they do get stale after the second Autumn since you have experienced all the challenges the game throws at you with seasons at least once and this cycle will just keep continuing without any changes (aside from minor stuff like more frequent and crowded hound waves, petrification, disease, hunt surprises) unless you go adventuring into optional quests yourself. It's like 1st year in don't starve is a survival game and past the Bearger fight it transforms into an adventure game.

I think the best way to improve the difficulty curve through progression of time is tweaking the seasons for late years. I suggested before but new seasonal challenges starting from the third in game year would really improve the gameplay experience for players with long running worlds. Here's my take on how seasons might get harsher and more random in time but I'd welcome any similar change that'll add a mandatory challenge in the later stages of the game:

• Autumn: from 3rd Autumn onward, autumn gets occasional winds with varying direction and strength. Winds would blow non structure items  lying on the ground and alter the move speed of players and boats depending on the wind direction. (this can also help with cluttering twigs, rots and stingers in the world, blowing them away from the map into oblivion). First and last five days could also carry over mechanics of Summer and Winter, through heatwaves and cold waves; that blow a mild wind with overheating and freezing effects. Sometimes winds would be so strong, blowing in large and heavy stuff like driftwood and beefalos, pushing and hurting people on their way but also making these renewable. A structure like anemometer (those wind devices) can be added to the science tab to show the direction and strength of these winds.
  • Winter: Blizzards seem to be an obvious choice here. Occasional blizzard storms, akin to sandstorms around Oasis in summer, would limit vision and movement. Snow goggles, made from desert goggles and fur could be used to mitigate the movement penalty but it would get so cold that much stronger insulation would be required to stay warm on the move. Thermal stones would cool down faster and basically you'd be stuck to a campfire until the blizzard passes unless you're geared up with goggles and body insulation. It wouldn't take long (~2 mins) and hounds wouldn't attack during blizzard. Thermal measurer would display a special effect before and during blizzards as a warning, with a glass cracking sound and truly the measurer shattering; it could be repaired with no cost just by clicking on it and commanding repair. Also, blizzard could freeze random structures and fire items like pits, campfires and torches could be used to thaw them out or mine them with pickaxe, breaking the objects but gaining ice in the process.
  • Spring: Flooding could occur all throughout, with sea rising one tile into the ground (still walkable, but would increase the wetness rapidly with no regard to water resistant gear). Cave enterences and caves would especially flood, making entering a cave during give you immediate 50 wetness and soaked items.Science items could malfunction when soaked in flood. Rainometer would display an early morning by its pointer going crazy, toggling between left and right.
  • Summer could see hail as an obstacle, with damaging ice particles raining down on people on the surface. On the caves, occasional heatwaves may occur for short intervals, indicated by thermal measurer breaking again, requiring endothermic fire or fans.
  • Randomization: despite these challenges, seasons wouldn't be strictly increasing in harshness, some winters would be very mild with little snow, while limited snow might take place in the last days of autumn and first days of spring, while some winters seeing constant snow. Some Autumns and Summers would be dry while others would see occasional rain. Springs could have dry periods too, but also some springs would see unending rain. Hail could also occur on the last days of spring. Sometimes rain would be mixed with snow. Overall Seasonal challenges shouldn't be straightforward but instead varying in my opinion. These already happen to some extend but a little more randomization would be appreciated. 

21 hours ago, Webber is bes said:

They have no troubles the first autumn is peaceful fine I get it but like after the first autumn you just sit there.spring it rains oh no I dont happen to have a helmet and a umbrella or the eyebrella.WhAt abOUt FrOG RaIn ya mean the thing that can take out the moose goose for you that you dont even have to fight. summer just sit with ur flings and eat some of those berries but that's about it for antlion just move from ur base and that's it. Winter oh no no fruits or veggies how sad but hey look ice and hey look monster meat guess I'm good on fud see deerclops isn't tough enough to do anything get like 3 spears and 2 helms boom done. I know I skipped the dfly and ruins but those aren't mandatory to deal with same goes for hounds you can just kill em for the first year and then make traps. There isn't enough mandatory stuff to do that doesnt leave me sitting there typing this cus there is nothing to do on day 32 as warly W A R L Y the guy that needs different foods and has more hunger drain. I'm just saying there needs to be more stuff that you have to deal with so I dont end up sitting on a boat doin nothing wait for my food to disappear. That's just my opinion tho I still like the game

You decided to turn a assemblage of random sentences, sentences which are missing punctuation and organization, this looks like you decided to kidnap many words as you can and then decided to put it on a mixer, pour it over the screen and see what you can make with that.

My brain is trying to process this. I cannot find a way to understand this, if you want to give your opinion correctly and then correct all this mess.

6 hours ago, Ismael Marin said:

You decided to turn a assemblage of random sentences, sentences which are missing punctuation and organization, this looks like you decided to kidnap many words as you can and then decided to put it on a mixer, pour it over the screen and see what you can make with that.

My brain is trying to process this. I cannot find a way to understand this, if you want to give your opinion correctly and then correct all this mess.

I am absolutely sure making fun of him for it will encourage and produce a positive reaction after many others have done the same! Pile it on, come on! 

The original design of dont starve had mandatory objectives you had to comply, and in the first tests with the people the devs noticed that people had more fun and played more time without objectives, figuring out what things did and what could they do with the objects and the enviroment on their own. So they changed the game to be more sandbox style and have not many goals other than surviving.

Don't starve and DST won't tell you what to do because its designed that way from its conception.

On 28/10/2019 at 4:19 AM, mistrbushido said:

you kind of have to find new things to do

6 hours ago, RogueGamer12 said:

Doesn't do the more challenging content

Then complains about there being nothing to do that'll challenge you.

Bruh moment

The "Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game" shouldnt become so easy that the only challenge to be had is fighting bosses for late game loot you dont really have any use for.

Its not really a survival game when you dont have to survive, but instead throw yourself into dangerous situations for no important reason.

7 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

The "Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game" shouldnt become so easy that the only challenge to be had is fighting bosses for late game loot you dont really have any use for.

Its not really a survival game when you dont have to survive, but instead throw yourself into dangerous situations for no important reason.

See this guys gets my message we shouldn't gotta go fight the stuff but at least it should give us a reason to fight a lil bit like deerclops or antlion it gives you a reason to fight but that's 2 occassions and their both just easy bosses. Thank you my dude

On 10/28/2019 at 4:51 PM, Ismael Marin said:

And for you I'm sorry I'm so bad at formatting but I didnt know exactly how to so sorry 

It would be fun to have more things to have to react to (rather than instigate). I really like @SinancoTheBest‘s ideas, or through more regions/islands/biomes to explore. I think the main difficulty in the game comes from learning how to handle new creatures and events, and now that we can explore the oceans, Klei could add all sorts of stuff for us to find. I’d much rather that than an over reliance on Raid Bosses. The idea of having to prepare and pack gear for an extended journey in hostile terrain sounds like a lot of fun too. I’ve liked the idea of having a mountain to summit, with constantly cold temperatures, few resources, blizzards that require goggles, etc. 

Archived