Cool liquid

27 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

I am watching different videos on youtube and most of them uses Aquatuner + Steam Generator to cool liquid. My question is that best way to cool water? Note: I am planning to use that liquid to cool down my whole base.

As far as I'm aware, yes, the aqua tuner / steam turbine combo, aka "aqua tuner cooling loop" is the best heat management contraption we currently have in ONI.

3 minutes ago, Steve Raptor said:

As far as I'm aware, yes, the aqua tuner / steam turbine combo, aka "aqua tuner cooling loop" is the best heat management contraption we currently have in ONI.

Can the Steam turbine really cool off the aquatuner that it allows it run without over heating?

4 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

Ratio should be 3 aquatuners to 2 steam turbines. 

hmmm interesting but since steam turbines cant fully support those 3 Aquatuners in terms of power. How many Watts should I ready so that the Aquatuner is running 24/7

Just now, Oni Noob said:

hmmm interesting but since steam turbines cant fully support those 3 Aquatuners in terms of power. How many Watts should I ready so that the Aquatuner is running 24/7

The ratio of 3 to 2 is about how much heat the turbines can deal with. 

You will always need to add power to the system unless you are doing "exploity" stuff with the turbine. 

50 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

Ratio should be 3 aquatuners to 2 steam turbines. 

The ratio depends on what temperature you want to keep the steam room at and the coolant. One turbine is usually plenty for multiple tuners.

Spoiler
  • Tuner heat transfer on water: 0.59 MW
  • Tuner heat transfer on supercoolant: 1.18 MW
  • Turbine deletion at steel tuner limit: 1.54 MW
  • Turbine deletion at thermium tuner limit: 6.96 MW
  • One turbine can cool 2.6 steel tuners on water.
  • One turbine can cool 5.9 thermium tuners on supercoolant.

If you have an AETN you can use the excess hydrogen from your SPOM to run it and get a considerable amount of cooling. Enough for a decent amount of cool oxygen or a core base cooling loop. You can get 0°C oxygen out of it. It will struggle if you demand too much of it, but you can do quite a bit with it for negligible resources.

An aquatuner certainly provides more cooling and can also easily deal with any heavy industry, but earlier on you don't have the power or materials for it.

6 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Did he or you forget to put a source of cooling in the cooling system? Maybe a turbine somewhere? Is it a failed clone of @Blazing Falken's crying crab? Heat deletion through hydrogen deletion?

4 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

This design might have been made when Ethanol Distilleries had the fixed, low output temperature. 

If i remember correctly, the heat gets deleted through the hydrogen exiting the electrolysers, looping through the aquatuner room until the hydrogen is warm enough, and gets pumped into a hydrogen generator. Deleting heat this way. 

15 hours ago, Oni Noob said:

I am watching different videos on youtube and most of them uses Aquatuner + Steam Generator to cool liquid. My question is that best way to cool water? Note: I am planning to use that liquid to cool down my whole base.

You _can_ do Aquatuner + Gas Crusher (or vent to space), but it takes a lot more power (roughly 2x) for the same result. 

If you have a cold slush geyser, you can also use a counter-flow heat exchanger with that.

If you have cold slush and polluted water, you can mix them to the desired temperature by using a tank. Monitor the output for desired temperature and pipe in +30C or -10C pwater as needed to adjust. You need to either only mix when water is flowing out, or you need to arrange for some water (e.g. 1kg/sec) to circulate. 

And for a more temporary solution, you can melt ice tempshift plates into a tank with cooling-water and repeat whenever it gets too warm.

4 hours ago, Gurgel said:

If you have a cold slush geyser, you can also use a counter-flow heat exchanger with that.

Maybe ill just do the old school method using cold slush geyser. By the way since they change the output of Water Sieve, what are the methods to destroy the heated pwater?

9 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

This design might have been made when Ethanol Distilleries had the fixed, low output temperature. 

Oh man there is a update for Ethanol. Oh man I should have read the Distilleries description before tried this setup.

12 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Did he or you forget to put a source of cooling in the cooling system? Maybe a turbine somewhere?

Based on the Video the hydrogen should take the heat and destroy it using hydrogen generator but really taking a while to cool off the aquatuner for it to run

21 hours ago, Oni Noob said:

My question is that best way to cool water? Note: I am planning to use that liquid to cool down my whole base.

Amazingly this also works, no turbine needed. Kinda slow though, maybe 1 degree cooling per 2 cycles. So maybe try something else, unless your base is very small. Or not very hot. :p

lice.thumb.gif.f87f6b7defde795f7ab56ca16d08e0da.gif

2 minutes ago, biopon said:

Amazingly this also works, no turbine needed. Kinda slow though, maybe 1 degree cooling per 2 cycles. So maybe try something else, unless your base is very small. Or not very hot. :p

lice.thumb.gif.f87f6b7defde795f7ab56ca16d08e0da.gif

Sorry whats happening in the picture? Are you trying to cool the aquatuner by its own output?

Aquatuner+Turbine is the best way, but I've also had some success with aquatuner+SPOM, which has the advantage of not needing any steel. I would note, however, that it has much less heat deletion capacity than the turbine, and you may end up looping some of the water back through. It's a very convenient stopgap, but not very good as a permanent cooling solution.

Step one is to set up an aquatuner in a tank of water, with some radiant liquid pipes also passing through the water tank. 

Step two is to split your intake water into two pipelines. Half of it (ish) will go through the aquatuner, while the other half goes through the radiant pipe and from there into a self-powering oxygen machine (or multiple, I used two). If your input water is about 30 degrees, which it will be if it comes from a polluted water vent, the water going to the SPOM will be close to boiling and the water going anywhere else will be nice and cold. If you're using hot water, however, as from a cool steam vent or salt water vent, the water will boil in the pipes, and if your water is already cold it may freeze. 

3 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

Sorry whats happening in the picture? Are you trying to cool the aquatuner by its own output?

Not trying, doing it.

Ethanol gas has a lower heat capacity than liquid ethanol, so some heat is erased when it boils off. The pwater in the tank is getting colder by about 1 degree per every couple of cycles, and the tuner is steady at 80 degrees.

There may be a way to actually make this useful, but the heat cap difference isn't very large, and Klei seems to have tweaked the 2 degree phase change temp diff, it's not reliable anymore.

Here's what I settled on for early game this time, no steam turbine. Oasis, typical start- walled off the whole start biome with insulated tiles.

image.thumb.png.e9568d98f2afb7ab4c4ac7deba34f9d3.png

Now here's Engineering. Note that I haven't put together any kind of ethanol production yet, so everything's running off one coal genny and one H2 genny. Need automation to run the A/T in short bursts until it gets up to running temp or I'll have a power shortage. Must put in Ethanol next as I need a water supply other than scrounging standing water out on the map, & I'll need more power. Being able to feed some pokes will be nice, too.

image.thumb.png.20070a4fec16ece2ca5fc0f61f5c89b5.png

Automation lets the A/T run until hot tank temp is above (edit) 100c, or batteries are below 20%, or primary coolant temp goes below -6C. Can't let the A/T break pipes or paralyze my power system. Cold tank seems to sit near -9C.

image.thumb.png.b3cf68326e408eaec783b14474cee11d.png

I'm pumping the heat from that hot tank into the electrolyzer:

image.thumb.png.3091f65abfb5caf173c6a9c58d64f9d2.png

And doing the same thing with H2 on its way to the generator, heating it up:

image.thumb.png.3dd266cd9d8165894221dbec2665878a.png

Then in an output-cooling loop that cools O2 coming out of my electrolyzer.

So, keeping in mind the audience, here's the point I'm hoping to get across. A/T->steam turbine cooling loops are easy to set up and can be built anywhere without exception using the same basic building blocks. Don't give up on other ways, though, you can simplify your base substantially from there. This build for instance, it only truly dedicates those two 3x3 water tanks to cooling& doesn't require oil as coolant. A turbine + A/T combo takes more work, refined metal, space, a higher temperature coolant.

Just keep exploring beyond the standard cooling loop, once you get it working.

2 hours ago, avc15 said:

A turbine + A/T combo takes more work, refined metal, space, a higher temperature coolant.

Not to mention plastic, which, on some maps, is strictly gated by petroleum. (Or luck through care packages.)

Out of curiosity, why not let the AT tank get to 115, and valve 1kg/sec electrolyzer water through it? Too exploity? Not to get into that whole argument but the 10% pipe limit phase change exception was deliberately put in place by Klei, I guess to prevent random small packet accidents - so why not use it?

4 hours ago, biopon said:

so why not use it?

Yeah that question. I just don't like it. Your way would be strictly better by a little bit.

Also I should have a 2nd, hotter, hot tank for preheating hydrogen, too. And another one for preheating Ethanol. But this is just where I went to for now.

I have this idea that my hot tank shouldn't be able to get that hot on this build anyway, but time will tell. 

Edit: @biopon the ethanol cycle is pretty interesting as a cooling loop. But also very, very inefficient. I wonder what percentage of the total cooling is left over for other loads? I'm curious enough that all crunch the numbers.

Archived