My solar panel keeps getting entombed by mysterious piece of regolith?

Here's how it looks

2142777.jpeg

It's always this exact solar panel. Every couple dozen cycles.

The obvious suspect is the conveyor rail, but what I do not understand is how a piece of regolith can turn into a block of regolith within the rail system. The temp of the solar system (initially) was 20 C, the temp of the metal blocks is around 150 C.

2142778.jpeg

Anyway, if it was the rail system - why doesn't the solar panel on the left get entombed as well? It crosses with two rails too.

What's the problem here? How can I avoid it?

EDIT: It's an albino!

2142780.jpeg

Just now, silverbluep said:

Seems to me that it is the tile that is situated above the corner of the shovole ranch. Probably a shovole tries to poop on top of the conveyor chute, is not a valid tile so spawns it in the next available tile.

Thanks, I will investigate it :)

Shove voles poop tiles of regolith into the side wall of their stable and that tile of regolith somehow gets ejected to the top of the wall and out the top of the stable (and in your case, through the solar panel). This is a problem that I've had my eye on for a long time. I suspect the effect has something to do with having a door in the wall, so perhaps you could fix it by changing the entrance. (I put my vole stable doors in the top these days to prevent regolith from getting pooped into the door and letting voles escape. That also seems to fix this problem, for some reason.)

Conveyor systems had a patch to multi thread them, and a hotfix to undo it. Have you tried deleting and rebuilding the conveyors? It should at least remove the chance of odd bugs causing it.

Conveyor belts have extreme heat transfer (200x) when they overlap with ordinary tiles. I've read reports that if something like algae ends up cooking on a conveyor, it'll transform into a dirt block. Maybe something like that is happening? Check the temperatures of your metal blocks, and make sure nothing is cooking on the conveyors.

Just now, bobucles said:

Conveyor systems had a patch to multi thread them, and a hotfix to undo it. Have you tried deleting and rebuilding the conveyors? It should at least remove the chance of odd bugs causing it.

Conveyor belts have extreme heat transfer (200x) when they overlap with ordinary tiles. I've read reports that if something like algae ends up cooking on a conveyor, it'll transform into a dirt block. Maybe something like that is happening? Check the temperatures of your metal blocks, and make sure nothing is cooking on the conveyors.

I haven't been testing that branch and I glad I didn't :)

1 minute ago, Chthonicone said:

Do they show like that when it's a building entombed?

Yup, usually (but not always). If I was to dig the tile that shows buried object here, I'd get nothing but ice (and a pump), but as you can see the other ice tile isn't showing anything yet it also entombs the pump. My guess is the first tile to entomb a building generates that mark, and the rest do not.

image.png.23df8a02f0b900bef80e27a4a86a09f6.png

2 minutes ago, biopon said:

Yup, usually (but not always). If I was to dig the tile that shows buried object here, I'd get nothing but ice (and a pump), but as you can see the other ice tile isn't showing anything yet it also entombs the pump. My guess is the first tile to entomb a building generates that mark, and the rest do not.

image.png.23df8a02f0b900bef80e27a4a86a09f6.png

Today I learned. Ok, my thought was maybe he was missing a rogue shove vole buried in it's own poop, but I suppose not. Didn't want to suggest it as it could have come across insulting.

I had this exact problem in my last colony. I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the conveyor, but the shove vole crapping out regolith at a funny angle. I had solar panels on top of my ranch and at specific points in the structure, the corners, I would get entombed panels with a tile of regolith that can't be mined. Even stranger, if I deconstructed one of the the panels - as they inevitably overheated and broke - then the regolith lost it's visible texture, just became a white blob, but then it could be mined. Very odd. The solution was to reduce the height of the shove vole ranch by 1-2 tiles, (or move the solar panels up ofc, but I didn't have the room) and then put in an autominer. I did have to occasionally manually sweep the debris, but at least the autominer could prevent the regolith building up and doing anything weird.

Heh, I didn't even see the shove voles. If a tile attempts to spawn inside a block, the game will keep pushing it up and up until there's an open space. There's a good chance the voles are trying to poop inside the metal wall, so the poop gets pushed all the way out the top.

10 hours ago, bobucles said:

Heh, I didn't even see the shove voles. If a tile attempts to spawn inside a block, the game will keep pushing it up and up until there's an open space. There's a good chance the voles are trying to poop inside the metal wall, so the poop gets pushed all the way out the top.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:01 AM, Tonyroid said:

I suspect the effect has something to do with having a door in the wall

I believe this is true. At the same time there are weird circumstances with pneumatic doors. My pacu would confine themselves by flopping in and out of the side of the doors. This could potentially relate to voles if more people have trouble with them. Pnuematic doors seem a few pixels off a full block.

Archived