Cooling water

What's the best way now to cool water?  I have a cool steam vent but obviously the water is way too hot for me to be comfortable with pumping it into the reservoir inside my base.  I tried dumping it into a cold biome; it's no longer a cold biome :(  I tried radiant pipes through the back of a AETN, still couldn't cool it well enough. 

I have an aquatuner with radiant pipes going through a reservoir and after many cycles, it's still around 50C from the 70-80C it started at.

Help!

The best way to cool water is don't. Pump it directly into consumers. Electrolyzers will destroy the specific heat, hot oxygen is much easier to handle than hot water. Pincha peppers love hot polluted water, research doesn't care, and oil wells don't care.

Because water has a thermal capacity higher than most other elements in the game it may seem that it is cooling very slowly. The fact that water can hold onto so much heat energy makes it great for cooling. But it also means that a little bit of steam can heat up a big area.

A steam turbine is very powerful at cooling. Its cooling is most often limited only by how fast you can get the heat under the steam turbine. The aquatuner is one of the best tools to move a lot of heat and will absorb more heat when the liquids piped through it have high thermal capacity. So as coolant water is very good but super coolant from space is even better. Petroleum and oil are a little bit worse than water.

Keep in mind that the steam turbine will leak a little bit of heat when cooling. And often it makes sense to actively cool the steam turbine or have a little bit of water around it to keep it cold and operational.

4 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

What's the best way now to cool water?  I have a cool steam vent but obviously the water is way too hot for me to be comfortable with pumping it into the reservoir inside my base.  I tried dumping it into a cold biome; it's no longer a cold biome :(  I tried radiant pipes through the back of a AETN, still couldn't cool it well enough. 

I have an aquatuner with radiant pipes going through a reservoir and after many cycles, it's still around 50C from the 70-80C it started at.

Help!

Water is pretty hard to cool. An AETN will only cool a full pipe of water about 2C.  If you can't avoid doing it and you need it to be colder than 95C then aquatuners are probably the best way to go. If you use an aquatuner under a steam turbine to cool water then there's a net use of 633 watts.

If you generate that power with a hydrogen generator, then this costs the same as doing the same job using 8 AETNs. (It's a little more expensive, in case people get pedantic.)

I guess the aquatuner is the probably the best way to cool water, but it is power-hungry.  Like the others said, it is best to use it hot and then to cool the gas outputs.

Still, it is always nice to have some cool water around, especially since using 20-22 cool water in granite pipes for your in-base consumption  will do wonders for temperature regulation.

For a mid-late game solution I find the following very promising as it outputs two pipes, one hot and one cold.  It requires plastic, oil (and I can't remember if it also needs steel), so I would say it is for mid to late game:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPAp8yJ1KqM&feature=youtu.be

And here is a simpler water cooler that I found (it still requires oil, but I believe no steel):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3ipOwj4Fw

It would be nice to see a design that works for cooling water using "not too much power", no steel and no oil... even if it was slow as molasses, as it would make the early game easier and more pleasant.  But so far I have not found one other than simple radiators through something colder.

NOTE:  For a variety of reasons I have not yet built either, but I hope to do so soon.

3 hours ago, zOldBulldog said:

It would be nice to see a design that works for cooling water using "not too much power", no steel and no oil... even if it was slow as molasses, as it would make the early game easier and more pleasant.  But so far I have not found one other than simple radiators through something colder.

*Cough*

9 hours ago, Yunru said:

Pump small amounts into very full reservoirs. Each time you do the temperatures average and well... at best it's 10kg vs 4990kg:p

16 hours ago, bobucles said:

The best way to cool water is don't. Pump it directly into consumers. Electrolyzers will destroy the specific heat, hot oxygen is much easier to handle than hot water. Pincha peppers love hot polluted water, research doesn't care, and oil wells don't care.

How can I pump hot water into the research station?  Doesn't the dupe manually transfer it in?

I know I can leave hot water as it is, but I want to have a reservoir near or in my base and I don't think having a big puddle of 70-80C water inside my base would be a good idea especially with the wheezewort nerf.  I don't *need* cool water and my base has sat through more than 100 cycles with my in-base reservoir nearly empty so I guess my dupes don't access it very much aside from the water cooler in the dining room.  My hot water reservoir (outside of base) has a pump in it just in case the dupes need water, but the other issue is that the geyser is set to be active again and the hot water reservoir is almost full and won't last another series of active cycles.

17 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Help!

Classic question. The answer is simple, the water from the cool steam vent don't need to be cool.

- To store it, just make a pool close to it and insulated the room with igenous rock.

- Use this water for you electrolyser then cool the oxygen that easier to cool.

- For your restrooms, showers, etc, don't need this water given the restroom produce some.

The only reason to cool it, it's if you want to have bristle blossom. In this case, you have to know that :

- AETN can only cool 300g water / second from 95°C to 30°C.

So you need to use a AT but you will need to cool it and then have a steam turbine or a lot of polluted water to immerse it and replace the polluted water when it hot. At this point, you can send it to Pincha.

Like I said, I have a hot-water reservoir outside the base which is really the outflow from the cool steam vent but it's getting pretty full and my cool-water reservoir inside the base is sitting empty so if there was a good, efficient way to cool down several tons of water, I'd love to replenish my in-base reservoir.

I don't use an electrolyser (SPOM?) as I use terrariums for the moment.

11 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Like I said, I have a hot-water reservoir outside the base which is really the outflow from the cool steam vent but it's getting pretty full and my cool-water reservoir inside the base is sitting empty so if there was a good, efficient way to cool down several tons of water, I'd love to replenish my in-base reservoir.

I don't use an electrolyser (SPOM?) as I use terrariums for the moment.

Yes, use the AT, here's an early setup :

aqua1-1.png?w=723

aqua10.png?w=723

Send the hot polluted water to pincha.

4 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

my cool-water reservoir inside the base is sitting empty

I use terrariums for the moment.

Found yer problem, champ. Terrariums annihilate the fresh water supply (180kg/cycle) and generally demand cool water as well. The demand can be negated by sieving the output polluted water, but terrariums don't care where the water pump is so cold and hot water will inevitably get mixed. Polluted water bottles can be left alone as a very efficient source of oxygen, but it takes a huge amount of water to reach a good critical mass to benefit the colony.

Cooling huge amounts of water is a job for aquatuners and steam turbines. There are hundreds of threads, reddit links and online videos showing how to use steam turbines to delete gigantic levels of heat.

You don't need a large cool reservoir inside your base, unless for peace of mind.

Just expand the current one or add another outside. What to use for pitcher pump inside the base? — a small 2x2 space for the pump above and an output underneath to be filled with cooled water.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, GoHereDoThis said:

Help!

Play in rime. :D

I like to build my metal refinery at the entrance of an ice biome with a closed loop of the input and output to a liquid reservoir, then I add a liquid pipe thermo sensor and a liquid shutoff and dump it on the ice when the input temperature is at like 90 °C to melt some ice to get more fresh water and cool the output at the same time.

When I will need to cool down the water that I will get from an cool steam vent I will most likely use a room with 2-3 wheezewort that cools down a gas trapped in a closed loop and then have the water in a pipe flow in the opposite dirrection than the gas to make the heat transfer. Sure, it needs some testing first cos don't want to freeze and burst into the pipes. :)

Edit: Here is my fresh oxygen cooling station. As you can notice the output is at -28.4 °C and heat it up a bit by passing the pipes in front of my smart batteries to get it to like -6°C.

Archived