Ok so hear me out...

It's another one of those ideas/thoughts that don't let me sleep at night untill I post them.

The new update chain is called "Return of Them" which means They will somehow appear in the game.

So I thought:

After defeating the Fuealweaver the whole underground shakes as Gateway explodes. Later you find out that one of the pillars in Ancient Guardian's liar has fallen over and created a bridge. That bridge leads to a forgetten, more darker and creepy part of the ruins.

When some terrible creatures are killing your kind some people will start to praise them in hopes of being spared.

In that new area you find remains of the cult of Them. Churches, sacrefice altars etc, etc.

In one of those cult churches you actually find some ancients praising a statue/idol of Them. They're alive but are only a shell of what they one were. Coming closer to them a text appears above their heads but in their language. You cannot interact with them, only examine. You can however hammer the idol. 

After doing so the Ancients let out a terrible screech and start deforming- their bodies twisting and turning and snapping. Their mouths gaping open, eyes going black, nightmare fuel starts flowing from them. After that horror of a sight all that's left are Ancient Thulecite Statues showing those cultists in their agony.

And ofc breaking the idol would put you on a timer for a boss fight.

Isn't that just essentially the Ruins/Atrium as a whole?

Maxwell mentions the Ancient's worshiped "gods"—might be Them and/or "The Moon". We have the Atrium Statues which is already essentially the Ancient's who have twisted and contorted (before becoming shadow creatures) through the use of nightmare fuel—which is frankly a material they seemed to idolize. According to the murals the Ancient Civilization only becomes more beautiful AFTER they turn to nightmare creatures. Etc. 

4 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

(snip)

Well maybe.

But aren't murals only telling the story of Ancients thriving. Sure they were more beautiful because they discovered technology and magic.

But then there's their downfall, y'know that event that made their species extinct. Yeah I'd doubt that they looked pretty after that.

16 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

After defeating the Fuealweaver the whole underground shakes as Gateway explodes. Later you find out that one of the pillars in Ancient Guardian's liar has fallen over and created a bridge. That bridge leads to a forgetten, more darker and creepy part of the ruins.

You know that worldgen makes the lair be actually sometimes perfectly in middle of the maze similiarly to the actual minotaur story?

Just now, Szczuku said:

Well maybe.

But aren't murals only telling the story of Ancients thriving. Sure they were more beautiful because they discovered technology and magic.

But then there's their downfall, y'know that event that made their species extinct. Yeah I'd doubt that they looked pretty after that.

No, there's the "shedding their skin" mural followed by "the city becomes more prosperous" mural. 

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

We've go the heart of the ruins, so this could be the brain?

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

In one of those cult churches you actually find some ancients praising a statue/idol of Them. They're alive but are only a shell of what they one were. Coming closer to them a text appears above their heads but in their language. You cannot interact with them, only examine. You can however hammer the idol. 

After doing so the Ancients let out a terrible screech and start deforming- their bodies twisting and turning and snapping. Their mouths gaping open, eyes going black, nightmare fuel starts flowing from them. After that horror of a sight all that's left are Ancient Thulecite Statues showing those cultists in their agony.

And ofc breaking the idol would put you on a timer for a boss fight.

This makes me think of someone...

Spoiler

Moon Lord

Reminds me dead space 3. There was very similar civilization like in chest puzzle pictures. Ye they did transformation etc stuff. Before marker cultism they seems were peaceful race. Would be scary, because that is only stuff who scares me out still from resident evil 4, if random statues just becoming alive and making very big swipe on player then just falls in to pieces on ground.

16 hours ago, Szczuku said:

[...]

11 hours ago, Mooagain said:

This makes me think of someone...

His brother wakes up.

16 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Isn't that just essentially the Ruins/Atrium as a whole?

Maxwell mentions the Ancient's worshiped "gods"—might be Them and/or "The Moon". We have the Atrium Statues which is already essentially the Ancient's who have twisted and contorted (before becoming shadow creatures) through the use of nightmare fuel—which is frankly a material they seemed to idolize. According to the murals the Ancient Civilization only becomes more beautiful AFTER they turn to nightmare creatures. Etc. 

I think the ancient race believed in imaginary gods and when Gnaw appeared Race was almost destroyed by Pigs and They came to "help" the ancients.

11 hours ago, Canis said:

Jesus Christ. I absolutely love this, and want it immediately. Too bad Klei has drifted away from the "spooky" part of DST 

The idea in this post isn't the Klei kind of spooky that DS/T has always had, though, it's just Terraria. The Klei kind of spooky is still alive and well in DST. So far in RoT, we've got:
- Dead fish washed up on the beaches of the Lunar Islands, which are implied to have just recently been picked clean.
- Horror Hounds, zombie hounds which claw their way out of hound corpses.
- Moonrock Pengulls, pengulls that swam too close to the Lunar Islands and had their bodies torn apart and replaced with ice.
- Shattered Spiders, mutated spiders that have crystals stabbed into their bodies.
- Shattered Spider Dens, which are LIVE SPIDER QUEENS, complete with twitching legs, that have been encased in rock.
- Bull Kelp, seaweed that looks like hands that you pick the fingers off of.
- Salt Formations, which are seriously just people that were turned to salt. You use the salt from them to season your food.
- Cookie Cutters, little isopods with horrified faces that chew through your boat.
DST's style of spookiness has never been the cultists and moon lord from Terraria, it's always been stuff like this. There's no shame in taking some inspiration from other games, but I really do not understand why so many suggestions here lately just want DST to be Terraria.

19 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

(snip)

Dst uses the "lame"- kind of creepines. Basically the game's creepy when you understand its  lore. And yes that's one of the things that make dst reconizible and shouldn't be changed.

But as you have said yourself: Horror Hounds and Moonrock penguls are now a thing. Body horror (hounds corpse twitching and exploding) has never been a thing in dst, but now it is. 

And if you see how I described the new area of ruins and Ancients it, quite honestly, fits dst as of now. The Ancients bodies twisting, turning and snapping would be the body horror level of hound's (or sw whale's) corpse bursting, and the nightmare fuel pouring out of eyes and mounth has been a thing in ds/t long ago. The same goes for the cult. A ruins that are only creepy once you understand what they represent.

The only thing I want dst to copy from Terraria is the progression system (and maybe slimes).

The op may seem like I copied Terraria's cultists but it was rather just a logical way of thinking:

-Something is killing your kind

-You began praising it in hopes of being spared. (Or praising your gods aka Them)

-You are granted it's (or Their) favor but at a cost of praising it (or Them) and making sacrefices

-This fits a cult more than a church (please don't discuss religion, idc)

And if the power of Them chanelled through the idol would be keeping those Ancients alive then it makes sense that They'd be aware that someone destroyed Their idol and would be now coming to punish that person for it

As far as I know the death of Ancients haven't been showed to us yet. The in-game murals only talk about the developement of Ancients (sad boys- nightmare fuel arrives- boys change bodies- something unknown- big, epic city) and the murlas from Methous simply show some dead Ancients lying around the King. They might as well have been bitten to death by Depth Worms- we don't know how exactly Ancients vanished. And becasue of that my descriplion of the Cultists dying and turning into the statues might be possible.

Archived