My Varg Farm

I made a simple and cheap varg farm in a public server the other day and people really liked it, so I thought I'd share it here so people can know how it's made, and maybe you can get something out of this. Farm building is one of the best things about DST.

Varg1.thumb.png.5cfe04f0849abc28de76f4c0d0d44227.png

What it is

Basically, there are 4 catcoons in the center who kill all of the hounds for you. Catcoons are unique in that they have very long attack range. Their attack range is so long that they can hit hounds, but hounds can't hit back at this distance. The catcoons will constantly attack as long as there are hounds, and the varg will make sure the hounds keep coming. This is a good way to get monster meat if you micro manage, and you will get loads of teeth and gems as well. If you keep this farm near your base, it will run automatically.

Why it works

The hounds don't attack the walls because there is a pig skin inside the pen with the catcoons, and because the hounds share aggro of the varg, who should be aggroed to the kitties (make sure the varg is aggroed to the kitties and not you - this might cause the hounds to attack the walls). They would rather run towards meat sources than attack walls. Catcoons like to pick up lots of items on the floor, but fortunately they do not pick up pig skins! Catcoons can kill the hounds outside the pen because as I've mentioned, their attack range is very long. Lastly, the cats will not take damage or die as long as you have a flingomatic. Fire hounds are the only potential threat I can think of because the flames could smolder the pig skin, which could cause fire damage to the kitties. Thankfully the flingomatic is able to douse the smoldering pig skin before it can cause any burn damage.

How it's made

First you want a set up that looks something like this below.

Varg2.thumb.png.69851b532d4bce2888c375903c13ad33.png

You will note that I have 3 little chambers here. One chamber on top is meant to eventually hold the 4 stray catcoons, the middle chamber is meant only to be a distance to keep the friendly catcoons away from the stray catcoons (they will kill eachother if they are close), and the bottom chamber temporarily holds the friendly catcoons. You want to lead the catcoons all the way from their stump home to the pen one by one. Each twig you give a kitty equals about 48 seconds of friendship, so that's important to keep in mind when making this farm. You need to be very careful about keeping the friendly catcoons away from the strays (they will kill eachother). Once their friendship timer has passed, it becomes safe to bring them into the other chamber with the stray cats because they wont attack each other. Repeat this process four times with four different catcoons, and then you're onto the final step. You need to trap a varg. This is actually very very easy if you know how to do it. Here is a GIF of how it's done in less than 30 seconds.

Get varg's aggro > lead varg to the pen you created > get him stuck on the pen > run far away until you no longer have his aggro > run up behind him and finish building the pen to trap him indefinitely.

Varg3.gif.a2793552259c7a2b96f2dc7fe5af42be.gif

I let this farm run for 10 days and it amounted to 245 teeth and 17 blue gems. Day 28-38

I hope someone learns something from this. I'd like to see more elaborate farm ideas from others.

18 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Deerclops' eyeball is the bait that doesn't burn. Catcoons don't eat it but hounds do.

I had thought about this, but didn't include cuz I don't think people wanna use boss items as bait. The ancient guardian horn could also work. Using dragonfly scale turf for the pig skin might also prevent smoldering, but I haven't tested that. One of my main goals was making it super cheap so that this farm could be done very early and fairly easily.

15 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

This is beautiful

You have to push catcoons until they get where you want? Do they not despawn? What happens if their den gets destroyed?

They will follow you if you give them twigs, but you do have to push them into the fences. They won't despawn and their homes can be destroyed and they'll still function as normal. I think catcoon homes regenerate slowly overtime if any are destroyed.

In the same way that pigmen and bunnymen friends will teleport to you if they go off screen, catcoons do the same. This helps a bit to save time traveling from their stump to the pen.

This is a great setup thanks for sharing! I've been looking for a new set up since Gabriel's edge one no longer works because hounds can now swim.

Do you know how close you have to be in order for it to run? My base is getting kinda large and might have to place it 2-3 screens away.

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

This looks like a more useful variation of the butter farm we built. Clever.

Boi that actually started giving me ideas for this varg farm haha. I never thought much about catcoon farms until you made that butter farm.

8 hours ago, X-lem said:

This is a great setup thanks for sharing! I've been looking for a new set up since Gabriel's edge one no longer works because hounds can now swim.

Do you know how close you have to be in order for it to run? My base is getting kinda large and might have to place it 2-3 screens away.

Gabriel updated his method: 

Gabriel method is a faster farm, but i love how this one is cheap and automatic (watchout for the flingo tho)

4 hours ago, Mahoood said:

Gabriel method is a faster farm, but i love how this one is cheap and automatic (watchout for the flingo tho)

Thanks. I have another iteration of the same catcoon farm, but with a second or third varg and using sea anenemy traps to speed things up a bit. I don't think it's worth sharing in great detail though, because there's kinda a false idea that the more gems you can get outta varg farms, the better. There comes a point where the supply for gems reaches like 20x the demand for gems, and that's kinda what you get when you have a triple varg farm.Then you have thousands of teeth and hundreds of gems sitting around your server. The nice thing about this farm is it's small so it saves space, cheap so it saves time, automatic, can be made by anyone who isn't webber or wortox (catcoons attack monster characters), and it gives enough gems to reach your demand, while not going completely overboard.

Varg4.png

18 hours ago, Mahoood said:

Gabriel updated his method: 

I did see this. While this does work as a varg farm it's really better as a moon  rock farm. I just want a straight varg farm that I can place anywhers.

5 hours ago, X-lem said:

I did see this. While this does work as a varg farm it's really better as a moon  rock farm. I just want a straight varg farm that I can place anywhers.

if you look at 7:30 mark,  you can place the statues anywhere doesnt have to be moon base.

7 hours ago, Mahoood said:

if you look at 7:30 mark,  you can place the statues anywhere doesnt have to be moon base.

Ahhh, I had forgotten about this. Thanks! Although I think I like OP's method better. You don't have to be Winona in order to set it up.

Archived