Minisign Issue?

Hi there.

So I recently experienced some small but annoying issue in my DST game. I was in the middle of building my mega-base storage when I noticed I cannot mark my minisigns with fireflies anymore. I know it may not be something to be furious about but I can't stand my storage with one sign unmarked properly. I'm pretty sure it was possible to draw them with feather pen earlier or maybe I'm confusing my older worlds form single player DS.

Anyways I need you guys to confirm if this also happens in your games and if yes then maybe we can make a little fuss about it here. This way our amazing devs could notice this cosmetic issue and possibly fix it in near future.

One more thing - does anyone know if there's a way to spawn marked signs via console? I was trying to do it but maybe it's not possible at all.

Also I tried to disable my mods so it's not the case I guess.

You are not delusional. @Sunset Skye reported it here, but nothing happened to it. It was changed due to another bug report where mini-signs would draw the dirt that moleworms make when traversing.

Seems like their fix removed more than just fireflies though: slurpers, bees, killer bees, live butterflies, and mosquitoes, don't work either, as per @Bird Up in that bug report (maybe spores too, but didn't check).

I had planned on re-reporting this bug when it felt like the bug tracker was being looked at again (cause yes, you sometimes need to do that to get bugs fixed).

28 minutes ago, Canis said:

I don't feel like it's a bug. All of these things are mobs instead of items, after all.

Not exactly, they're items but with no pick-up actions. I don’t think the inventoryitem component is paused on ground so there is no reason to stop it from drawing it on a sign

(especially when it was possible at a time, I remember being capable to do fireflies signs some months ago)

7 hours ago, Canis said:

I don't feel like it's a bug. All of these things are mobs instead of items, after all.

You can still draw birds on minisigns. If the intention of the fix was to make live creatures not drawable on mini signs, drawing birds and rabbits would be made impossible as well.

The reason this feature is suddenly gone is because the game now checks if the target can be picked up to determine if it can be drawn. Birds, rabbits and moleworms can still be drawn, but only right after they're dropped (because they can still be picked up for a few seconds).

On 9/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, lakhnish said:

It was changed due to another bug report where mini-signs would draw the dirt that moleworms make when traversing.

It's really sad to me, because I don't even feel that the initial bug fix was necessary. Part of the charm of mini signs in DS is all of the oddities that you can find while messing around with them:
image.png.241d3f432a343b7d92adb224375875ae.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngimage.png.092ebc56cbdbfe15b31b41cfc6e2087d.png
"Raised Dirt Sign" is the first time someone's found a similar oddity that was actually exclusive to DST, and now it's gone, along with a bunch of regular mini signs which were fun to collect (slurpers and mosquitoes immediately come to mind.)

As silly as this sounds, mini signs are one of my favorite features in DS, and I feel like their potential keeps getting diminished in DST.

Archived