Aquatuner/Turbine Cooling without steel.

13 minutes ago, Derringer said:

Executive summary: a gold amalgam 'tuner sinking to a turbine can work, but requires a heat spreader. Oil bath (crude or petrol) and tempshift plates make a suitable heat spreader.

That screenshots is even better, shows it successfully done with polluted water, which is quite a feat and very useful since early on you need cooling and don't have oil. 

My first attempt at using the refinery resulted in a repeatedly broken refinery since I had no oil or steel, and all the oil I could find was 200C (later I found out that it was a bad luck roll and that oil is supposed to be available somewhere at 100C... But by that point I had restarted the map and almost gave up on ONI).

3 minutes ago, zOldBulldog said:

That screenshots is even better, shows it successfully done with polluted water, which is quite a feat and very useful since early on you need cooling and don't have oil.

How does that work? Steam turbines require 125 °C input, polluted water boils off at 122 °C.

8 minutes ago, Derringer said:

How does that work? Steam turbines require 125 °C input, polluted water boils off at 122 °C.

That is a good question.   I hope that screenshot isn't misinformation... there is far too much of that for this game (mostly tutorial made before the game changed) and that is very frustrating to us beginners, we try to learn but are repeatedly led into blind alleys. 

When we don't yet know... it is very hard to know who to listen to.  It makes the mid-game a particularly frustrating stage for us beginners.

It is petrol.  You need the oil biome stuff.  Oil to make plastic and most importantly LEAD.  That was made with lead radiant pipes and the steam generator is lead as well.  Petrol in the metal refinery.

I wouldn't use polluted water in the steam room.  Don't want any other gasses but steam.  Water or polluted water is used in the pipes that go through the aqua tuner.

Getting in to an oil biome is not very hard.  You only need 1 suit, may as well make 2 suits since the forge costs 400 refined metal and you can tear it down to make the suit docks.  Don't go in there without a suit.

Getting oil made me reroll my last map (the first time I made it to cycle 365... With no cooling, electrolizer, oil or metal refining that didn't break when I tried to use it, but I am much better prepared on this run - same map, at cycle 4).  I had had exosuits since before cycle 100.

The issue was an unlucky map oil roll (awesome for other things) and all the oil I found was over 200C, much too hot for my measly gold amalgam pumps... and I had no idea that there should be 100C oil if I only just explored more of the bottom towards the map corners.

1 hour ago, zOldBulldog said:

Getting oil made me reroll my last map (the first time I made it to cycle 365... With no cooling, electrolizer, oil or metal refining that didn't break when I tried to use it, but I am much better prepared on this run - same map, at cycle 4).  I had had exosuits since before cycle 100.

The issue was an unlucky map oil roll (awesome for other things) and all the oil I found was over 200C, much too hot for my measly gold amalgam pumps... and I had no idea that there should be 100C oil if I only just explored more of the bottom towards the map corners.

If your natural oil is too hot, then hunt for an oil reservoir that you can tap. The stuff coming out should be a much nicer temperature.

This can sort of work without oil even. There is a point where an aquatuner overheats but isn't damaged. Or not damaged much. I got a gold aquatuner sort of working so it ran a bit now and then. It was switched off a lot because of the heat (used a thermo sensor to measure the air temperature). It didn't seem like it really worked, but it was enough for a 20°C cooling loop. Maybe not enough for heavy industry, but good enough to keep the core base cool

54 minutes ago, xialeth said:

I've also had decent results of making early-midgame Steel (think cycle 100-130, depending on how fast base-setup goes) by just using a pool of polluted water and producing a bit of steel there...

That is exactly what I tried to do.  Broke my refinery every time.   Next time I will likely build it in a frozen biome and pump either melted pwater or oil I cool through that same melted pwater.

If you’re breaking your refinery using a polluted water pool, you’re doing something wrong. Either not monitoring the temperature by eye or automation before starting the steel task, or putting the return vent too close to the input pump. Basically you have to learn how much a steel job adds to the water, and don’t start a steel job if the input temperature + that increase will get over 120 C.

The real issue with this sort of thing is that you end up with a pool of very hot polluted water, and it ends up dumping that heat into your colony if you’re not careful. Best to pump the resulting hot water pool into reservoirs where it’s nearly completely insulated from your colony.

1 hour ago, Gus Smedstad said:

If you’re breaking your refinery using a polluted water pool, you’re doing something wrong. Either not monitoring the temperature by eye or automation before starting the steel task, or putting the return vent too close to the input pump. Basically you have to learn how much a steel job adds to the water, and don’t start a steel job if the input temperature + that increase will get over 120 C.

The real issue with this sort of thing is that you end up with a pool of very hot polluted water, and it ends up dumping that heat into your colony if you’re not careful. Best to pump the resulting hot water pool into reservoirs where it’s nearly completely insulated from your colony.

you can take 35C PW, make steel, and it is still below 100 so sieve and send to electros.

2 hours ago, zOldBulldog said:

That is exactly what I tried to do.  Broke my refinery every time.   Next time I will likely build it in a frozen biome and pump either melted pwater or oil I cool through that same melted pwater.

I mean, I started with just some steel to make a steel gas pump for my nat gas geyser (so, one load), but this guide has a very nice list of things you need to make an AT/Steam turbine, along with a guide on a pretty good order. (It's under Steam Turbine Cooling)

Archived