DST 64 bit for MacOS Catalina

Hi There,

Just a quick question and observation. I see that the base game Don't Starve is already on 64 bit, however the Don't Starve Together is still on 32 bit. I'm sure many other MacOS players are wondering the same thing, will there be an update from Klei in support of 64 bit for DST, ahead of the release for MacOS Catalina.

After I have updated to MacOS Catalina, will I still be able to play? What are the plans in terms of this?

Thanks in advance.

21 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Who was that guy that mentioned dst needing le 64-bit thingie for the hd default textures?

It was my thread in question

DS (single-player) has a 64-bit version, but only for Mac users, not for Windows (from what I can tell. Don't know about Linux).

I don't know if they'll do the same thing here, though based off that, I would say probably likely.

So yea...:wilson_cry: 

(Unless they have plans otherwise, but idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

• Developer
1 hour ago, bizziboi said:

Hi @CrummyDuck

Yes, there will be an update to support 64-bit, however, since it is a fairly significant change we need to ensure it doesn't affect stability, so we plan to roll it out in the next beta-branch update first. 

some people seem to be having doubts that this is gonna for windows also, can you please set them straight?

• Developer

Currently that is not planned. The Mac build will still support 32 bits as well, as we can't really change the games' minimum spec, so it still needs to be able to run on 32 bit OS, and also, I don't believe windows supports hybrid 32/64 bit executables.

Other solutions for the texture memory are under consideration.

• Developer
31 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Currently that is not planned. The Mac build will still support 32 bits as well, as we can't really change the games' minimum spec, so it still needs to be able to run on 32 bit OS, and also, I don't believe windows supports hybrid 32/64 bit executables.

Other solutions for the texture memory are under consideration.

you can have two executables and have a option to launch the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version, so you can have a "hybrid executable", even on windows.

• Developer
Just now, bizziboi said:

Mac is a hybrid build. The executable is 32 and 64 bit.

yes, but wouldn't you gain the same minimal performance improvements like you would on windows?
since it still needs to support 32 bit, doesn't it suffer from the exact same issue that a 64 bit version of dst would for windows?
unless I'm misunderstanding something on the very core level of mac's executable binaries.

• Developer
1 hour ago, bizziboi said:

That is correct, however the 64 bit support on Mac is not for performance or memory reasons but because the new OSX can't launch 32-bit executables.

oh, that is a very good reason, all we gotta do is convince microsoft to not support 32 bit executables and we get 64 bit dst. that makes a ton of sense, thanks for being patient and explaining things!

7 hours ago, Canis said:

[DOUBLE EXE POWEEEERRRR]

...this reminds me of a situation involving an old game by the name of Dawn Of War. Really similar actually: the game was made a long while back (2004), for old systems running old software. Time went on, and the modding community has been active from then till present day; one of the major mods still has a somewhat active dev group.
It quickly outpaced the game itself the moment that more capable hardware was made available; you couldn't run even a couple of the popular mods without hitting the game's natural memory limit and crashing.

Long story short, the game had to be patched by the community in a choppy way that caused version mismatch issues with the unpatched, vanilla game. The community got split up, and that only sped up player decay. Game isn't as appealing when it becomes hard to find a match.
You're now lucky to find one match going.
The mod group I mentioned just mods for fun; the game is dead.

Not saying DST is going the way of DoW, but...
But?
Huh. I'm not sure what the but is there.

Spoiler

Ugh, I've seen this movie before, and I don't like how it ends. DST is just the most recent in a line of multiplayer communities I've gotten into, only to watch them slowly fizzle and die for...a variety of reasons that Klei shares. DST is in active development, but...is it built to last?
I just want something fun that manages to hold together, damnit.

A quick look through the game's server browser tells you how split up the community already is. Of the ~3000 active servers, ~2250 are on the current version, ~1200 actually have people in them, and half of those servers only have one player.
You can split it in other ways. For example, of the publicly available servers with players in them, ~500 are modded, while ~100 are vanilla. The "half of those servers only have one player" part still applies.

...boy, this does seem familiar.

• Developer
6 hours ago, maradyne said:

...this reminds me of a situation involving an old game by the name of Dawn Of War. Really similar actually: the game was made a long while back (2004), for old systems running old software. Time went on, and the modding community has been active from then till present day; one of the major mods still has a somewhat active dev group.
It quickly outpaced the game itself the moment that more capable hardware was made available; you couldn't run even a couple of the popular mods without hitting the game's natural memory limit and crashing.

Long story short, the game had to be patched by the community in a choppy way that caused version mismatch issues with the unpatched, vanilla game. The community got split up, and that only sped up player decay. Game isn't as appealing when it becomes hard to find a match.
You're now lucky to find one match going.
The mod group I mentioned just mods for fun; the game is dead.

Not saying DST is going the way of DoW, but...
But?
Huh. I'm not sure what the but is there.

this x10000, while having 64 bit dst, can help newer computers run DST better, I'm mainly asking as a modder who pushes the limits of the game constantly, having a 64 bit executable would be so insanely helpful to help push the limits of modding.

• Developer
4 hours ago, myxal said:

*checks sockets opened by DST for signs of IPv6 usage*

We have a prototype build that does DNS64 to connect to Klei servers, but for user hosted servers we rely on our platform partners to provide NAT traversal at this time so it's not something we're likely to ship until a substantial number of platforms (steam, PS4, etc) move over and there's a real need. Debugging connection problems with client hosted servers is already a lot of tech support pain for us, adding IPv6 into the mix seems like it would be awful given the number of broken IPv6 setups out there in people's homes.

On 11/9/2019 at 3:20 PM, Dezcoo said:

is there a beta 64 bit dedicated server you can give us because my server crashes all the time from lack of memory

Is there a private beta that still uses 32bit builds??

EDIT: Just read your topic - oh, you're looking for Windows 64 bit builds. Not available (yet), I'm afraid.

Archived