oxygen not included multiplayer

no. this is not a suggestion. this is an idea on how to play oxygen not included multiplayer.

so, since we can share save files, we could play on the same world. just not at the same time.

so, for example, player 1 plays the first 50 cycles.

then player 2 plays the next 50 cycles.

then its player 1's turn to play 50 cycles.

then player 2 can play 50 cycles.

and so on.

Spoiler

I know, this is a really bad idea. it might even be a challenge.

This type of legacy gameplay was successful in dwarf fortress, its a good idea. The players had to make a little story of their gameplay duration every time they gave the save over to the next. 

There isnt that much unique rpg in ONI so I feel it wouldnt be the same though. 

Someone already did that here, you can resurrect it if you want. Just ask for participants, declare the rules, once your turn is over upload the save here and the saga continues... you can even name the dupes with the participants

if i remember correctly I think Saturnus was part of the last game

1 hour ago, MorsDux said:

This type of legacy gameplay was successful in dwarf fortress, its a good idea. The players had to make a little story of their gameplay duration every time they gave the save over to the next. 

There isnt that much unique rpg in ONI so I feel it wouldnt be the same though. 

Boatmurdered was amazing.

It would take a bit of creativity to make it interesting in ONI...But it's doable...I did it with a single dupe....but I got bored / had to go to work.

And yes, I imagine it would turn into each player subtley dicking over the other player during those 50 cycles....

9 hours ago, metallichydra said:

no. this is not a suggestion. this is an idea on how to play oxygen not included multiplayer.

so, since we can share save files, we could play on the same world. just not at the same time.

so, for example, player 1 plays the first 50 cycles.

then player 2 plays the next 50 cycles.

then its player 1's turn to play 50 cycles.

then player 2 can play 50 cycles.

and so on.

Reveal hidden contents

I know, this is a really bad idea. it might even be a challenge.

So, I expect you to be ready to become player 2 :D Because, I am sure that someone who started this thread wants to try it.

MultiplayerCycle50.png

MultiplayerCycle50.sav

On 26/8/2019 at 1:49 AM, DarkMoge said:

So, I expect you to be ready to become player 2 :D Because, I am sure that someone who started this thread wants to try it.

MultiplayerCycle50.png

MultiplayerCycle50.sav

im sorry that it took me so long to answer.

i would like to try :) 

but it might take some time, because i dont play THAT often / much, and also play some other games. (and i have to make weird stuff in ONI, such as icelocks.)

but i will try when i get time.

1 hour ago, metallichydra said:

im sorry that it took me so long to answer.

i would like to try :) 

but it might take some time, because i dont play THAT often / much, and also play some other games. (and i have to make weird stuff in ONI, such as icelocks.)

but i will try when i get time.

sure, here is some story behind it... Lets call it the great moge vision :p 
Mostly, I started a new asteroid and played single player on it for quite a few cycles, I used your idea to kind of benchmark my progress by cycles and submit the 50 cycle save... But lets say that I am just able to look into the future and have great planing skills ^^
I have setup a livable base that should not collapse within at least next 50 cycles. Its funny that most problems will come about cycle 100 if they are not adressed first D:

<Moge plans were progressing well, her clone army was about to dig up some iron and tap into oil.
She predicted that if no problems arise, her clone army will begin making steel by the cycle 56.
She knew that she would at least need to tame both water geyser and cool steam geyser to support her little ants,
and for that, she needed steel... steel to make aquatuners that cool down that water to usable temperatures.
She also knew, that it wont be anywhere near enough water for the grand plans she had for this asteroid...
Moge would need to later tame that steam geyser and than search in hope to find more water geysers...
But as she sent her clones to dig for oil, one of them came back with a peculiar flower... and than...
and than... clones started listening to that flower D: Moge started shouting something about water running
out at about 50 cycles and base becoming too hot for mealwood to grow at the same time. In her grand
plans, she envisioned in her great Moge vision moving away from mealwood and living entirely on pip eggs.
She could see the cooling loops for water and around her base and eventually start glossy drecko and shine bug
ranches. She could see the shine bug powered electricity generators that support all those grand plans...
All the automation... All the things... Now she could only hope that the clone army will hear her through their trance.>

Its all probably because Moge usually does not make atmo suits until like cycle 300-400 or even later and makes her clones dig oil biomes while scalding, so they end up breathing in some sporechids.

1 minute ago, metallichydra said:

how do i get the save?

just clicking on that name should start downloading it. Than you just need to place it in 

C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\save_files

Replace <User> with your username on pc.

I tried something like this ages ago. I can't remember which game it was, but it had an email multiplayer mode and I decided to try it with a friend because hey why not? It was in the game meaning it obviously had to work, right? Well not really. What happened is a player played one turn, generated a new savegame file, which then required manual attachment to an email. The other player then played one turn and would then send the new savegame back. This turned out to be awful because when you want to play, you want to play. If it's not your turn, then you have to wait for the other player to finish and if the other player doesn't reply until the next day, then you can't play for the rest of the day. In reality a forced "no more playing for you today" event isn't fun at all.

Unsurprisingly for multiplayer to be fun, you have to.. you know play multiple people at the same time. Otherwise it ends up as single player, but with the forced pause added.

Archived