Oxyferns

So my only source of oxygen is oxyferns and I'm gettin into steel production  and stuff would oxyferns be a long term source of oxygen I've been using them for 300 cycles cus I'm too lazy to make a real sorce of oxygen so is it worth it to set up electrolizers I have 8 duplicates and playing on oasis 

If it works why change it? Unless you want to.  If you have excess of water ( or salt water lol) there is no charm setting elecrolyzers and getting hydrogen out of it for rockets later. You can use hot O2 for atmo suits for example. I personally always try to setup electrolyzers as later on liquid hydrogen is precious. 

Totally depends. It's just a trade off.

Major advantages of oxyfern:

Nearly perfect water conversion rate

Scrubs CO2

Low tech

Doesn't stop if pressure gets high (electrolysis does so you need some sort of ventilation or you need to over build)

Major advantages of electrolysis:

Doesn't use dirt

Can be made power positive in an open air configuration (oxyfern can't)

Can work on hot water (oxyfern can't)

Doesn't require dupe labor or conveyors (oxyfern 1 or the other)

So what works for you, that's the question.

4 minutes ago, Webber is bes said:

Oh yeah I never did the math but is 20 oxyferns more water effective then 2 electrolizers 

I think top of the map has large pools of salt water ( or am i only one lucky enough to have hundreds of tons of salt water close to surface in oasis?) So water should not be a problem. If you want exact answer go here:

9 minutes ago, ONIfreak said:

I think top of the map has large pools of salt water ( or am i only one lucky enough to have hundreds of tons of salt water close to surface in oasis?) So water should not be a problem. If you want exact answer go here:

maybe you got the "subsurface ocean" world trait?

8 minutes ago, ONIfreak said:

I think top of the map has large pools of salt water ( or am i only one lucky enough to have hundreds of tons of salt water close to surface in oasis?)

Close to the surface, with huge quantities of water? That's likely from the Subsurface Ocean trait and then it is in the excess of 3000t of saltwater.

By default it does have tide pool biomes scattered around, but those are usually rather low on liquid.

You need about 3 oxyferns per dupe. So that limits you as there are only about a dozen freely available.

But they are great. And you can supplement them with algae terrariums and deoderizers. They work so well that you can easily have an almost too high oxygen pressure and very little CO2 (at least until you get into heavier industry)

19 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

maybe you got the "subsurface ocean" world trait?

18 minutes ago, wronny said:

Close to the surface, with huge quantities of water? That's likely from the Subsurface Ocean trait and then it is in the excess of 3000t of saltwater.

By default it does have tide pool biomes scattered around, but those are usually rather low on liquid.

You are correct guys - it is from subsurface ocean trait. Completely forgot about world traits lol. Now it all make sense. ;) Thank you!

in my oasis asteroid, 7 domesticated Oxyfern render my whole colony dudes popped eardrum.

normal oxygen atmosphere 4.0 - 7.0 kg and that compress CO2 atmosphere to 7.0 - 11.0 kg

at 11 kg CO2 atmosphere , oxyfern halt. due to exceed 10000g :D

5 hours ago, Webber is bes said:

So my only source of oxygen is oxyferns and I'm gettin into steel production  and stuff would oxyferns be a long term source of oxygen I've been using them for 300 cycles cus I'm too lazy to make a real sorce of oxygen so is it worth it to set up electrolizers I have 8 duplicates and playing on oasis 

Electrolyzers bring massive advantages with cooling (see Brothgar's Oasisse base) and power, which are somewhat important on Oasisse, but if you're already on cycle 300 then you're really at a point where it won't matter.
Electrolyzers are more scalable once you have extra water production, and that's the big reason to get into them even if you ignore everything else.

24 minutes ago, FenrirZeroZero said:

Why not both? 

Wild plant the oxyfern and use electrolyzers to provide the rest.

That way you can save quite some water.

Also wellfare pod can get you more seeds. If you are not against save scumming, you can get nearly infinite number of them.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:26 AM, fishoutofwater said:

Diver's lung + wild oxyferns = popped eardrums

Actually that happens around the oxyferns regardless. They absorb a smaller amount of co2 than they put out 02 so they float around ear pop threshold in their immediate vicinity.

Don't worry too much about the water supply. They take only a pretty small amount. And some asteroids like Verdante there is more salt water and polluted water than you know what to do with. So clean that up and feed it to the oxyferns

16 hours ago, Promethien said:

Actually that happens around the oxyferns regardless. They absorb a smaller amount of co2 than they put out 02 so they float around ear pop threshold in their immediate vicinity.

It can be resolved by closing oxyferns in a room with atmo sensor locking the door - no water ergo no fertalization ergo no o2 from oxyferns.  Different problem would be CO2 bit this can go to carbon skimmer 

Archived