Cooling in space

I do not seem to understand the interaction between buildings and background tiles. I have smart batteries in a vacuum with diamond shift plates behind them and a radiant pipe cooling loop, but the batteries do not seem to exchange temperature either with the shift plates or with the pipe. Is my understand correct? Does temperature exchange between buildings and temp shift plates have to be mediated by atmosphere and/or liquid?

I know it's meant to cut down on typically-unnecessary temp interactions, but buildings really should thermally interact with tiles they're supported by, and tempshift plates should interact with everything in their zone, even in vacuum.  Those rules made sense back when the only way to get a vacuum was to intentionally make one, but it's come up again and again ever since we got a space biome.

You can use the EZ-Bead for simple cooling in space, without loosing any liquid. Just place a mesh tile under a vent and beads will form (in sizes of 10g or larger, up to 10kg, you pick the rate with a valve). Make sure you have mesh tiles, tempshift plates, or drywall below the initial mesh tile, till you want to collect the liquid with a pump for cycling. The beaded liquid is sufficient for providing an atmosphere.  With a mesh tile below a robominer, you can have the liquid drop through the floor AND interact with the robominer.

Wonky ONI liquid physics. It's completely consistent with behavior throughout the rest of the asteroid. You can't use falling liquid to transfer heat unless the liquid beads, so just make sure the liquid beads and then you can use it all you want. There are several other posts linked to in the EZ-Bead post if you want more info. 

The main annoyance is simply that buildings don't interact with their foundation, despite requiring it. ONI's rules are premised on the idea that buildings are literally 2-dimensional, and so the bit of them touching the ground is infinitely thin and thus no heat is transferred. Things like tempshift plates, ladders, and pipes are then more 2-dimensional things behind, and only once you get a 3-D bit of gas, liquid, or solid can heat transfer between them all in the third dimension.

It's simply not very intuitive that buildings demand solid tiles under them to work, appear to physically touch those tiles, but do not actually exchange heat with them. The extra calculations saved are minor and it makes the space biome and vacuums in general way sillier to work with than they need to be.
And it gets worse! Buildings on the same plane don't exchange heat with each other either, cause again, 2-dimensional. And mesh/airflow tiles are special too and don't act like regular tiles (they're counted as whatever is inside them).
This has really annoying implications in applications where you need a vacuum, like in dealing with metal volcanoes, as you can end up having to submerge equipment in fluids or use diagonal access because otherwise things like sweeper arms and robo-miners will accrue more heat than the volcano is spitting out.
As a real fun tangent, pipe bridges exchange heat at both ends and not in the middle, in addition to instantly moving fluids across, so they can serve to teleport heat across solid tiles if they have a medium on both sides! They're basically short wormholes.

36 minutes ago, Stabby Joe said:

I'm really hoping they hurry up and introduce thermal interaction of buildings with tiles they are built upon, it really is not intuitive that they do not, and then we won't have to do stupid s**t like this.

4tXhSQC.png

I tried this but after several cycles they broke down, steel is not enough, need at least niobium.

14 minutes ago, Artorias36 said:

I tried this but after several cycles they broke down, steel is not enough, need at least niobium.

This setup has remained for hundreds of cycles. Steel robominers in small puddles of petroleum, with an aluminum conveyer cooling loop that runs into a steam turbine setup to delete the heat. Haven't had a single overheat yet

6 minutes ago, Artorias36 said:

Use a constant drip of water in a long trough with all robominers covering each other's mesh tile umbrellas. If the temperature gets too high, it will turn to steam and carry the heat away while new cold water replaces it. Not perfect, of course, and will block the panels for a bit if there's too much steam, but it at least in theory should keep things cool.
Of course, this is still a fair bit of setup and will cause all sorts of problems if a meteor ever gets through and breaks the glass, cause then hot water will heat up the solar panels.

Just now, Stabby Joe said:

This setup has remained for hundreds of cycles. Steel robominers in small puddles of petroleum, with an aluminum conveyer cooling loop that runs into a steam turbine to delete the heat. Haven't had a single overheat yet

Had not notice the conveyer, now it makes sense why mine failed.

16 minutes ago, Stabby Joe said:

This setup has remained for hundreds of cycles. Steel robominers in small puddles of petroleum, with an aluminum conveyer cooling loop that runs into a steam turbine setup to delete the heat. Haven't had a single overheat yet

I've used the same build for a long time, but the sad fact is that as soon as you get niobium/thermium you can just rebuild everything, rip out the cooling and conserve the heat for cookers etc later.

Archived