[Not a Poll] On Boat Combat

Now that we shall most probably encounter sea animals and bosses soon, coupled with already bothersome sea hound attacks, what do you guys propose to enhance the ocean combat experience? Apart from tanking and making catapult flotillas, combat on boats is a rather finicky experience...

I suggest conventional cannons and harpoon launchers, even wooden railings to prevent mob entry.

Thoughts?

Since the boats are too slow to kite with, I imagine that either the boss will either have tentacle stuff that you have to fight on the cramped space of the boat, or the fight triggers something that allows you more movement to fight on, like maybe you even walk on the giant boss itself.(I keep on thinking that the new boss will be some sort of tentacle monster.

If nothing has changed about how Winona's catapults work on boats, then I can see her being 'meta' for killing potential new ocean bosses. Right now, you're limited to the tiny space of the boat to kite, and you normally can't fight and steer the boat at the same time. Winona can fight with catapults while steering the boat making her potentially very good for ocean combat. Depending on how Wendy's refresh turns out, Abby could be a good fighter as well while Wendy steers the boat. Willow/Bernie could be useful too, because shadow creatures currently don't seem to spawn when you're at sea.

10 hours ago, Bird Up said:

If nothing has changed about how Winona's catapults work on boats, then I can see her being 'meta' for killing potential new ocean bosses. Right now, you're limited to the tiny space of the boat to kite, and you normally can't fight and steer the boat at the same time. Winona can fight with catapults while steering the boat making her potentially very good for ocean combat. Depending on how Wendy's refresh turns out, Abby could be a good fighter as well while Wendy steers the boat. Willow/Bernie could be useful too, because shadow creatures currently don't seem to spawn when you're at sea.

You can only fit so many catapults on a boat, and they're prone to miss stuff that's relatively quick, iirc. Also Abigail is prone to game ending herself.

Basically, for bosses in the ocean, I hope you don't have to fight on a boat.

I can manage fodder-type creatures, I guess.

What if amphibious mobs (e.g. hounds, pengulls)had to have a "boarding" animation before getting on? It would take 1-3 seconds, and if the enemy takes damage, they're knocked back into the water and have to restart the animation. It would be fun to have you (and your friends) frantically running around the ship playing a deadly game of Whack-A-Mole.

Also, maybe The End is Nigh!'s lightning bolts could deal (75? 100?) damage to mobs in the ocean. The lightning bolts AoE would have double the range but the damage dealt would decrease linearly the farther away the enemy was from the strike. Or the strikes would specifically target enemies in the water?

Final suggestion: Wearing the chilled amulet lets you walk on the ocean by freezing the water beneath you, letting you kite as normal. However, the amulet will use double the durability while freezing water (3 min of walking per amulet). Care must be taken because if the amulet breaks you will instantly drown.

Archived