Does Glommer increase your sanity because he's cute and cuddly, or...

...because he has a Lunacy aura?

:shock:

Even if it's not what Klei intended it really fits the theme of Charlie's insanity aura vs. the Moon's "sanity"/lunacy aura. Glommer shows up during the full moon, so you could argue he is tied to the Moon... Plus, one of Wagstaff's quotes suggests sanity drain is literal "psychic attack" by Charlie/the shadows, what if Glommer has a tiny Lunar Island lunacy aura that nullifies it? Just something to think about.

1 minute ago, -Variant said:

Now I'm curious, what'd those holes be?

Contradictions with the fact the moon has little or no influence underground and that Maxwell made most of the things in the surface world.

Not the birds, though.  But there's nothing strange about the birds.

It'd be nice if we could explain all the strange fusions like carrats, M/Goose, rockies and lureplants with a single driving force, but on further examination it seems some of those exist just because Maxy was bored.

actually glommer inspired from Rom the vacuous spider from Bloodborne, Rom herself controls the barrier that prevent normal yharnamites from seeing the true horrors around them. this might be implied for insane people much like glommer has sanity aura. spiders also won't attack glommer is also the reference of Rom who control the spiders, both of them has similar appearance but glommer is cute version

On 7/31/2019 at 7:00 PM, TemporaryMan said:

Contradictions with the fact the moon has little or no influence underground and that Maxwell made most of the things in the surface world.

Not the birds, though.  But there's nothing strange about the birds.

It'd be nice if we could explain all the strange fusions like carrats, M/Goose, rockies and lureplants with a single driving force, but on further examination it seems some of those exist just because Maxy was bored.

Alright, I'll bite. :D

Whether Maxwell has personally made most of the things in the surface world tells us nothing about whether he made this particular one. Maxy's quote on Glommer is "A flying goop factory", which doesn't say anything either way.

Not sure how the underground thing matters either. Creatures that have auras presumably have them as an intrinsic quality. At least, that makes as much sense as anything given that DST is a world with a soft, not hard, magic system. You get sanity from Glommer underground, so what? If you like, you can think of it as him having a tiny bit of Moon magic inside him, and therefore it doesn't matter if the Moon has power where Glommer currently is, because he doesn't need the Moon to have that aura. He's of the Moon, but the aura is his own. Kind of like if you separate a glowing ember from a smoldering campfire, the ember will still keep glowing on its own.

So none of this is hard evidence, really.

2 hours ago, Hekateras said:

So none of this is hard evidence, really.

Mmm, that's true of the question of whether Glommer has a lunacy aura.  But I was talking about my broader unmentioned hypothesis about lunar magic (uh, not the romhacking tool).

The gist of it was that all there's a longer-term cycle of contest between insanity and enlightenment, which corresponds to the moon cycles like ice age glacial maxima and interglacial periods correspond the shorter-term seasonal changes between winter and summer.  The odd fused creatures in the world -- rockies, lureplants, m/Goose, grass geckos, marble trees, everything -- rose from potentially multiple previous cycles.  And the moon cycle depicted in the Metheus murals depicts not the moon cycle, but this larger cycle; Ancient civilization arose as the lunar Enlightenment power reached its maximum, and the inconsistency of depictions of the Ancient Gateway in the murals isn't an artistic choice, but represents changes made to it to transition its power source from Lunar magic to Shadow magic as the dominant force changed.

It's, uh, got issues.  Not least of which, Charlie probably made the grass geckos.  And the modifications to the portal seem to have been to bring its power to new heights, not to maintain its power level as its power source waned.

Now that I think of it, this makes a good amount of sense, besides from one fact.

Who built Glommer's statue? If the "moon landing" (ha) and everything that came with it is canonically a recent event, why has glommer been here long before this event?

Well, in my flawed theory above, these sort of changes would have happened when the natural cycle reached maximum lunar power, and Charlie just took a shortcut to that stage by ripping a chunk of the moon out of the sky and plopping it in the sea.

What actually made Glommer's statue if it's connected to lunacy?  Beats me.

Archived