OK... I need some help here I'm afraid. Is there an easy way to look at a body of water (say, that's getting on my nerves because it's in the way of where I want to build) and say "Okay, to store this I will need this many reservoirs"? Because I can currently see how many kg of water each square contains, but do I really have to count and add together, by hand, all the kg weights of every square full of water? That sounds like such a pain in the butt!

You don't need to add them all up. Just knowing that a reservoir can hold 5000kg and a full tile of water is 1000kg then you can see that a tank will hold 5 tiles. Armed with that knowledge you can just count the tiles.

35 minutes ago, RollingThunder8 said:

do I really have to count and add together, by hand, all the kg weights of every square full of water? 

you dont, enable debug, hit backspace, using base and world tools select the water tiles and the selection info will tell you the sum ;)

It is worth noting that water does take up fewer tiles of space when sitting in a pool rather than in reservoirs.  Oil and petroleum are the reverse, taking up less space inside reservoirs than when sitting in a pool (assuming you aren't stacking the reservoirs vertically).

Slightly less than 5 tiles per tank, water gets slightly compressed the taller the head is. Remember that the tank will work if fully submerged in liquid so you can build a pool, stick tanks in it, 11 tiles in every 6, In the end, rough estimate of how many tiles you have and a halving of that number should give you a decent idea.

Why make it so difficult? Just add the ghost print's of the Water reservoir in the water puddle and add them up for every 5th add 1 extra and have 1 in reserve for half tiles... That should in general be pretty close to the amount of reservoirs you need.

But you can naturally just count for every 5th tile as was already suggested.

2 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

It is worth noting that water does take up fewer tiles of space when sitting in a pool rather than in reservoirs.

You can build reservoirs in your pool meaning the 6 cells can give you 5+6=11 ton of storage.

Generally I don't use reservoirs for large scale storage (though it has happened). The main benefit of a reservoir is you can make a compact buffer. It's just 2x3, but it has liquid dropoff and "pump" to get the liquid moving. If you store 30 cells of water, then make a pool. It's cheaper and easier to scale up later if needed. Pools can also be scaled up in the sense that you can add extra pumps while reservoirs doesn't support that (well not unmodded ones).

Reservoirs are also useful for germ killing and storing polluted water without gaining polluted oxygen.

6 hours ago, RollingThunder8 said:

OK... I need some help here I'm afraid. Is there an easy way to look at a body of water (say, that's getting on my nerves because it's in the way of where I want to build) and say "Okay, to store this I will need this many reservoirs"? Because I can currently see how many kg of water each square contains, but do I really have to count and add together, by hand, all the kg weights of every square full of water? That sounds like such a pain in the butt!

If you want to count water in some pool build a pump - it will have in properties how much water is available in that pool. 

6 hours ago, RollingThunder8 said:

Is there an easy way to look at a body of water (say, that's getting on my nerves because it's in the way of where I want to build) and say "Okay, to store this I will need this many reservoirs"?

Yep.  You need 1 reservoir (not a building, but a player designed one). Here is a sample build (works fine mirrored, and not a bad idea to surround it with insulation).

minimal-infinite-water-storage.png.a9a36b04d9bfeb27430dac72ae5e2e45.png

Metal doors can withstand any pressure.  You need two different gasses in the tiles above the liquid (here I have oxygen and carbon dioxide).  You can use PO2 and Chlorine just as easily (move some polluted dirt and bleachstone to the place before you add any water).  This reservoir can soak up lakes. 

5d3b1020d2fe0_Screenshotfrom2019-07-2608-33-57.png.ba62c66e32ba3c6f5965cf0b46ce1504.png5d3b10201e509_Screenshotfrom2019-07-2608-35-22.png.f8718849e982aa06d2d178f3bbb6bede.png

5d3b101e7e845_Screenshotfrom2019-07-2608-36-04.thumb.png.5fedd84a9eee04b51940004d0703a3c8.png\

The entire body of water can fit in an itty bitty living space (like a genie's lamp). More details can be found in this post. 

Of course, if you find this too exploity of game mechanics (this is all 1 element per tile stuff), then the suggestions above work as well. 

Archived