[MODS] Material Probe

Have you ever wondered how much water is in your storage tank? What the average temperature in your base is? Just how many germs did I get in my water supply? Well, this is the tool for you!

ONI-MaterialProbeMod-example.thumb.png.8b56b5342efae5d51597632dc62dc3db.png

Pictured above (left to right, top to bottom):

• 21 t of Water in a tank.
  • My base has an average temperature of 24 degrees. The coldest part is in the bottom left.
  • My PWater tank has 4 million Food Poisoning germs in it.
  • In my base, the average gas pressure is ~1600 g, 90% of that is Oxygen.
  • The biome I'm probing has ~95 t of Coal available for me to mine, among other things.
  • The settings screen for the Material Probe (Outdated)

What Does It Do?

The Material Probe looks at an area of cells (tiles) and analyzes them to determine certain properties about them as a group.

• In Mass mode, the probe tells you what the total mass of the area is, and a break down of the materials in the area.
  • In Temperature mode, the probe calculates temperature over the entire area.
  • In Germs mode, the probe analyzes the populations of germs in the probed area.
  • In Biome mode, the probe just tells you what the biome for the area is. This is most useful for detecting the space biome.

In each mode (except Biome), the probe will give you information about the range of properties in the area: minimum, maximum and average. The area will also be colored according to that range. For instance in Temperature mode, the blue area represents the lowest temperature in the area, and the red area represents the hottest area.

Download/Installation

• Install ModLoader first! Forum
  • Download: Releases
  • Copy into your Mods folder! You'll get a new overlay icon in game! (It looks like an eyedropper.)

Learn More

To be fair, my way is very much a hack. I added an empty group to the UI, and then use its size as an area to draw in with Unity's IMGUI. My UI isn't actually integrated with ONI's UI, it just pretends very hard to be. :)

You can see how it works in the MaterialProbeDiagram class. Fair warning, this is not my cleanest code, and some of the more hacky things, like the UI, are not well commented. I'll try to clean things up soon, but I've been planning to release for QoL2 for a while. The UI is a recent addition, since I struggled to build one the "right" way back in Expressive, and I really needed a UI before I released.

Updated to v1.0.2:

For Quality of Life Mk. II (Q2-311694)

• "Range Display" is now just called "Shading"
  • There is now a configuration file, generated by the mod on first load
  • Probe settings are now retained after the game closes
  • There is now an option to hide Neutronium, to make geysers harder to find.

Archived