So uh when is Warbucks coming back?

extrolex

14 hours ago, extrolex said:

I like him. Let's remove Wilba because she is a kid and kids don't die in videogames!

Seriously tho, bring him back, he was perfect

Sadly, he won't ever officially be coming back, due to reasons already stated by the developers. However, you can still access his data via console commands. Also, there are mods.

On the note of wilba, she deserves to stay as there's also wendy and webber too, who are both confirmed children and all have a place in this relatively dark game.

On 23.07.2019 at 12:05 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

On the note of wilba, she deserves to stay as there's also wendy and webber too, who are both confirmed children and all have a place in this relatively dark game.

It was probably  a joke about how stupid reasons about removing Warbucks were.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:05 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

That was a joke, like inferjus said.

But man, that removal was SO stupid. He fitted perfectly in the Don't Starve Hamlet universe

7 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Tbh, the worst part is that Wheeler would have been a near-perfect rework for him. all they would have to do is resprite the compass and pewmatic, and maybe give him something other than the dodge, and he would be perfect.

They could of, but the issue at that point was Warbucks was only ever going to be remembered for that mess rather than his character, regardless of them changing the quotes or making him better. It was safer for them to start from scratch because the character's reputation to the community was already ruined by that event.

12 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Tbh, the worst part is that Wheeler would have been a near-perfect rework for him. all they would have to do is resprite the compass and pewmatic, and maybe give him something other than the dodge, and he would be perfect.

Why would a colonizer/big game hunter have a compass that can locate items, and an air horn?

2 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Why would a colonizer/big game hunter have a compass that can locate items, and an air horn?

Well for starters, he's had the title of both hunter and explorer, and I belive the one he had before getting removed was explorer

Second, he wouldn't. that's why I said they would have to resprite it. make the compass more antique looking as opposed to looking like a tuna can, and make the Pew-matic a "Clockwork blunderbuss", or something along those lines

12 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

even in the original trailer he does a Wheeler style dodge it makes sense

35 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Well for starters, he's had the title of both hunter and explorer, and I belive the one he had before getting removed was explorer

Second, he wouldn't. that's why I said they would have to resprite it. make the compass more antique looking as opposed to looking like a tuna can, and make the Pew-matic a "Clockwork blunderbuss", or something along those lines

The change from "colonizer/big game hunter" to "explorer" was an attempt to salvage the character before removing him entirely. It's like how they were planning to replace the blunderbuss in his portrait with a shovel. They were trying to make him more acceptable before deciding it's just not worth it.

And still, I don't understand why Warbucks would have an antique compass that can find items, and a "clockwork blunderbuss" that can shoot any item out of it. They could definitely have stretched Wheeler's perks in order to work for Warbucks, but why would they bother when they could make a new character that the perks actually fit for. A new character which has absolutely no arguably racist baggage attached to her.

31 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

even in the original trailer he does a Wheeler style dodge it makes sense

Skidding to turn a corner while running from bats like a coward is a completely different thing from narrowly dodging out of the way of an attack during a fight.

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

The change from "colonizer/big game hunter" to "explorer" was an attempt to salvage the character before removing him entirely. It's like how they were planning to replace the blunderbuss in his portrait with a shovel. They were trying to make him more acceptable before deciding it's just not worth it.

And still, I don't understand why Warbucks would have an antique compass that can find items, and a "clockwork blunderbuss" that can shoot any item out of it. They could definitely have stretched Wheeler's perks in order to work for Warbucks, but why would they bother when they could make a new character that the perks actually fit for. A new character which has absolutely no arguably racist baggage attached to her.

Skidding to turn a corner while running from bats like a coward is a completely different thing from narrowly dodging out of the way of an attack during a fight.

why does it make sense for a flying ace to have an item tracking compass? why does it make sense for a compass to even work like that? really, by your logic we should remove that from her too. and really, there are a lot of things that we could break down with that line of logic

also, we have

>A Pyromaniac

>A Suicidal child

>The most steryotypical Canadian imaginable (though to be fair, Klei is also canadian)

Really, an incredably well-known trope shouldn't be much of an issue

23 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

why does it make sense for a flying ace to have an item tracking compass? why does it make sense for a compass to even work like that? really, by your logic we should remove that from her too. and really, there are a lot of things that we could break down with that line of logic

Wheeler is a spunky aeronaut who loves adventure and is constantly seeking it out. As she says herself, the Navigadget "points the way to adventure!". The pewmatic horn also fits her character well, as it's a silly weapon which can be loaded up with any junk she finds on said adventures.

My logic is that, in order for a character to have a unique item, it should fit their theme rather than be forced onto them. Warbucks, the colonizer/big game hunter who was briefly forced into the role of explorer, would not fit well with Wheeler's items, even during the time that he was retconned into simply exploring temples.

23 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

also, we have

>A Pyromaniac

>A Suicidal child

>The most steryotypical Canadian imaginable (though to be fair, Klei is also canadian)

Really, an incredably well-known trope shouldn't be much of an issue

Cool! Never did I say that there's a problem with any of these things, or that I myself found Warbucks problematic. I simply gave some of the reasoning for why Warbucks as a character was removed by Klei.

7 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Wheeler is a spunky aeronaut who loves adventure and is constantly seeking it out. As she says herself, the Navigadget "points the way to adventure!". The pewmatic horn also fits her character well, as it's a silly weapon which can be loaded up with any junk she finds on said adventures.

My logic is that, in order for a character to have a unique item, it should fit their theme rather than be forced onto them. Warbucks, the colonizer/big game hunter who was briefly forced into the role of explorer, would not fit well with Wheeler's items, even during the time that he was retconned into simply exploring temples.

fair enough, Though I'd argue that said items would fit with Warbucks none the less

7 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Cool! Never did I say that there's a problem with any of these things, or that I myself found Warbucks problematic. I simply gave some of the reasoning for why Warbucks as a character was removed by Klei.

Again, fair enough, I was just pointing out that it was a hypocritical argument.

8 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

5d3ce8142504a_Screenshot_2019-07-27MeetWheeler(DontStarveHamletsNewCharacter)-YouTube.png.49d6515420a03ac3dd5b28516a5d55b6.png5d3ce81207d9c_Screenshot_2019-07-27DontStarveAllCinematicTrailersSoFar2019-YouTube.png.84db7875544b0c191a6d933ded3fa390.png

Mate...

it really is the same aint it?

they deleted the original trailer so I had to do some deep digging for that screenshot

I think (at least in my mind) what upset people the most about Warbucks' removal was what it meant in general the state that society is coming to. A turning point of sorts to show that we as a people are getting offended by almost any minuscule thing in existence; and those that are vocal enough to do so, enforce it on others. Warbucks was the sad reality of it, like a serving tray full of food that falls to the ground; mostly in the sense that one thing (drama-wise) led to another and at this point, the food is everywhere and cannot be put back on the tray to be served, making it better to create a new dish altogether. At the start, he was an average character that had un-notable perks with a personality you either loved or hated. Soon after, topics of whether he was racist sprung up and is still a matter of debate today (not the matter of "if he is", but more of "does it actually matter" in short) and it caused his downfall. This in turn opted for his inevitable removal, signaling the "age of censorship" and "hand-holding" that many believe to be the truth for the future as well as the case for Warbucks.

Fear and hostility ensued from debate to debate with the subconscious yet un-spoken idea of a future of enforced political melancholy seeping into the various forms of entertainment we use to relax and unwind; now turning into a shameless cesspool of intrusive opinions and band-wagon propaganda that violates even the most light-hearted enthusiasm that ultimately makes any one idea of innocence...unreliable to enjoy. 

In short, some people didn't like or were offended by Warbucks and some did like him. Klei favored the ones that don't and the other group thinks this is a premonition of how it will always be in the near future. Unfortunately I don't think he will make a return, at least not until the controversy dies down (we'll try again in a year or so).

On 9/3/2019 at 12:06 PM, Sunset Skye said:

please let this thread die ok thanks

just don't be here if you don't want to

if the idea of some random strangers talking points that you don't like and rather than just ignore the people you want to silence them that really isn't our responsibility to enforce that

13 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

just don't be here if you don't want to

if the idea of some random strangers talking points that you don't like and rather than just ignore the people you want to silence them that really isn't our responsibility to enforce that

I want to be here, though, that's the thing. I want to be part of one of the only discussion boards for one of my favorite games, and I would really rather it not turn into yet another place where gamers moan about "SJWs" and "PC culture" like we're back in 2015. There's already so few gaming communities that I feel comfortable in, and this place has been slowly but surely moving towards the uncomfortable side ever since the Warbucks removal made everyone go feral.

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I want to be here, though, that's the thing. I want to be part of one of the only discussion boards for one of my favorite games

I ment this thread you are clearly in dislike to it just go to the next thread

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

would really rather it not turn into yet another place where gamers moan about "SJWs" and "PC culture"

we actually havent been doing that here like at all just points that counter points and vise versa

8 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

so few gaming communities that I feel comfortable in, and this place has been slowly but surely moving towards the uncomfortable side ever since the Warbucks removal made everyone go feral.

we feel that too we like our escapes from reality to freedom too but now they are being dragged back into politics back into real world darkness the removal of Warbucks is a clear sign our tropical escape is dead here too

most like myself just want to revert this process go back to previous freedoms where they can make characters anyway again

Just now, 4 Da LOLs said:

I ment this thread you are clearly in dislike to it just go to the next thread

That'd be a perfectly fine suggestion if this kind of stuff was limited to one thread, but I have not been able to go a week without hearing about Warbucks since his removal half a year ago.

2 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

we actually havent been doing that here like at all

See, but...

On 9/4/2019 at 12:18 AM, Owlrus98 said:

This in turn opted for his inevitable removal, signaling the "age of censorship" and "hand-holding" that many believe to be the truth for the future as well as the case for Warbucks...

the subconscious yet un-spoken idea of a future of enforced political melancholy seeping into the various forms of entertainment we use to relax and unwind; now turning into a shameless cesspool of intrusive opinions and band-wagon propaganda that violates even the most light-hearted enthusiasm that ultimately makes any one idea of innocence...unreliable to enjoy.

This is just a really long (and honestly pretty funny) way to say "SJWs are bad, they're ruining our videogames." It feels like something I would've seen on reddit back in 2015, and yet it's inexplicably been posted on the Klei Forums just a couple of days ago.

5 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

we feel that too we like our escapes from reality to freedom too but now they are being dragged back into politics back into real world darkness the removal of Warbucks is a clear sign our tropical escape is dead here too

I don't think you guys realize the irony in constantly complaining that the Klei Forums is full of politics... when that's being caused by people who won't stop making threads like these.

Barely anyone played Warbucks, and barely anyone was even offended by Warbucks. If a similarly-uninteresting new character was removed, nobody would care, but Klei made the mistake of saying the words "culturally problematic" and now nobody will shut up about him. The intrusive opinions here are the people who feel the need to constantly say "Were people really offended by Warbucks when (other character) exists?" and the band-wagon propaganda is people constantly saying "Warbucks really wasn't that bad!"

If you don't want to deal with politics, then stop bringing them up constantly.

14 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This is just a really long (and honestly pretty funny) way to say "SJWs are bad, they're ruining our videogames." It feels like something I would've seen on reddit back in 2015, and yet it's inexplicably been posted on the Klei Forums just a couple of days ago.

1 I was using this thread to talk to you and never said anything about sjws I refuse to be pigeonholed

2 that still goes on today you just gotta swap your sites(this is irreivant infomation but I wanted to get it clear because meh)

The intrusive opinions here are the people who feel the need to constantly say "Were people really offended by Warbucks when (other character) exists?" and the band-wagon propaganda is people constantly saying "Warbucks really wasn't that bad!"

this was not argued by me I refuse to be pigeonholed again

but Klei made the mistake of saying the words "culturally problematic"

no there was plenty of the sentiment before even the dialogue rework

That'd be a perfectly fine suggestion if this kind of stuff was limited to one thread, but I have not been able to go a week without hearing about Warbucks since his removal half a year ago

most people have been shut down still wanting to talk as I have found my voice of the scenario about 2 months ago

this is my new voice on this I don't want to rewrite it again so just have a link to the original

Archived