[Game Update] - 352774

• Developer

Return of Them - Beta Hotfix

• Retrofitting of non-beta worlds is now supported (more information can be found here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/108974-retrofitting-non-beta-worlds/)
  • Retrofitted the ocean pathfinding support into existing beta worlds
  • Lune Trees will now repopulate, should the player decide to clear-cut them (Note: Unfortunately this will not work with retrofitted non-beta worlds)
  • Fixed a crash with the fossilized fx
  • Fixed boomerang animations over water
  • Telltale Hearts can no longer be traded to ghosts that are floating over the ocean
  • The Bearger no longer chases its targets indefinitely, and should drop an out of reach target more quickly.
  • The Deerclops is now also wary of targets that it cannot reach.

View full update

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

• Developer
2 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Is this the right forum for that topic?

Edit: Appears to be fixed.

FYI. We haven't set up an automated process for posting the beta updates so they end up going into the DST General Discussion for a minute, until I manually move it to here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, ScottHansen said:

FYI. We haven't set up an automated process for posting the beta updates so they end up going into the DST General Discussion for a minute, until I manually move it to here.

Got it captain, so I was just lucky to catch this topic on the Non-Beta Forum right before it has been moved to the Beta Forum.
(Where's my achievement for catching this topic right at the moment when it was posted?)

Edited by Viktor234
  • Like 3

Ok,

So world retrofitting works (at least for me). BUT I currently can't play the world. From what I can tell, its due to mods. So i'm going to give it 24-48 hrs for the authors to update things with this new patch before I panic. But holy jebus this update excites me! Ty for allowing me to keep my stream world !ScienceCity. If I disable all the mods the world loads but looks really wonky (I have some custom stuff in there, like Hamlet items/turf/etc that just show as a void).

So, so far, so good! :) LMK if you guys want any information from me for my world for testing purposes (files, mod list, etc). But the instructions worked perfectly for anyone else reading this thread and wondering!

• Like 1

Hey so uh... Not to be nosy or anything, but is there a reason Modders and the public are no longer allowed to view character's zips?

We don't have access to characters like Wilson anymore. They've all seemed to be converted to DYNs.

EDIT: Hold on maybe I'm jumping to things, it seems to go back to normal outside the Beta.

Edited by -Variant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
14 hours ago, -Variant said:

Hey so uh... Not to be nosy or anything, but is there a reason Modders and the public are no longer allowed to view character's zips?

We don't have access to characters like Wilson anymore. They've all seemed to be converted to DYNs.

EDIT: Hold on maybe I'm jumping to things, it seems to go back to normal outside the Beta.

Thanks for the feedback! They were made DYNs as a slight optimization. We will look into adding the zipped assets back as a reference for modders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Optimisation? The filesize dropped by only about 7%, so if filesize is the concern, maybe you could make the TEX format save empty space better? If I am not mistaken, it currently makes nearly no difference if half of the TEX is full with detailed drawings, or empty.

• Like 1

• Developer
6 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

Optimisation? The filesize dropped by only about 7%, so if filesize is the concern, maybe you could make the TEX format save empty space better? If I am not mistaken, it currently makes nearly no difference if half of the TEX is full with detailed drawings, or empty.

dyn files are only loaded when needed, so if no one is playing as Wendy, her assets are not loaded 
The next update will have the zips packaged as well as the dyn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

So, just wanted to give my quick hands on for the request to use retrofitting on non-beta worlds (with advance notice that I didn't play as much of the beta as I meant to).

I did it two ways: the recommended way in the OP of the thread here, and the other by copying + moving only the folder containing a non-beta world to an empty slot in my beta folder just to see what would happen.

Results:

1) (Unrecommended way) Quick copying the world folder to the beta folder's world storage resulted in the game thinking the slot was empty... UNTIL I tried to "create" a world in-game, after a couple of seconds it started actually looking at the files, and I was able to start it normally. I had no character data for the world, but everything was intact, retrofit took hold, and everything seemed to be in order over on the Lunar island.

2) (Recommended way) Doing it via the suggested means, everything seemed to work as intended, character data was fine, it retrofit as you said it would, and everything was again, present and accounted for (to my knowledge anyway). I played for about 7 in-game days, no crashes or abnormalities.

Interesting(?) note: The Lunar island generated in the same spot after retrofitting both ways. Near as I can tell, everything was identical, no randomness in location or entities surrounding.

Edited by Quyzbuk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quyzbuk said:

Interesting(?) note: The Lunar island generated in the same spot after retrofitting both ways. Near as I can tell, everything was identical, no randomness in location or entities surrounding.

The Luna islands for retrofitting are hand-crafted. You'll only ever get one of the two by retrofitting.