Can i, through Steam, keep playing QoL3 for a while after release?

Can i keep playing QoL3 for maybe a few weeks after release?

I have a map that hasn't seen its full potential but everything about it has been so perfect (in terms of layout, resources, geysers, volcanos, planets).

I don't see an option to halt updates.

10 minutes ago, Cairath said:

You can continue playing on your current map even after you update.

Well, yes and no. You can still play the map but tons of stuff will have changed completely. So much so that in many instances it would be unplayable.

18 minutes ago, nets said:

Can i keep playing QoL3 for maybe a few weeks after release?

You can prevent steam from updating, but not with a user friendly checkbox.

There are a couple options:

- Mess with the appmanifest file [Will make steam believe your game is already updated.]

- Keep steam completely offline [Use a sandbox or just disable your internet connection before starting.]

... (Mess with the download times or bandwidth ....)

The alternate way would be for Klei to allow players to download prior versions through the beta tab, like you can with Kerbal Space Program, Factorio, and RimWorld. All 3 of those games allow one to revert to quite a few prior major versions stretching back years.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Well, yes and no. You can still play the map but tons of stuff will have changed completely. So much so that in many instances it would be unplayable.

This is true - although the OP mentioned things about his map features, so I assumed he's just attached to the actual map :p 

Man fooling steam is friggin easy mon!

Go to SteamDB https://steamdb.info/, and search up your game.

Click on the app ID of the game you're looking for to go to its details page.

Take a look at the depots, and click on the depot ID of the one that looks like the one you want to download.

Click on the Manifests tab. Look at the list and find the version that you want to download. Record its manifest ID.

Open the Steam console. Just create link on desktop steam://nav/console

The syntax to the "download_depot" command is as follows:

download_depot <appid> <depotid> [<target manifestid>] [<delta manifestid>] [<depot flags filter>] : download a single depot

https://imgur.com/a/gBLJO

I used this guide and I even played agricultural update and it worked! Just let stupid steam update game, and do this setup. Backup your newly downloaded game and every time steam updates let it update game and delete whole folder and copy your desired older version of game.

Preventing or rolling back updates is a problem that comes up fairly regularly in other games (e.g. Skyrim, when updates break SKSE based mods), so there are guides on these topics.

Steam keeps quite the history of game versions and has the option to serve (almost) any version that was available to the players at some point. But only if the user jumps through a couple of hoops to trigger the download via steam's console. The fact that the infrastructure seems to be already in place makes it all the more annoying that there is no simple version selection in the steam UI. 

Not as annoying as the lack of a proper "do not update" in the update settings.

{Something about Pepperige farm remembering a time when getting updates was more difficult, than preventing them.}

Archived