dupes dont need to breathe

we've probably all tried it.

the dupes require oxygen, and at some point, they'll run out.

but why even supply your dupes with oxygen, when you can instead harm them, for the same effect.

introducing, an exploit on how to keep your dupes alive, by harming them.

of course this was made in my own personal experimental sandbox world, but it doesnt change the results: oxygen can be replaced by harm.

5d231742d1ff0_dupesdontneedtobreathe.thumb.PNG.e0e2472dbff15d3c550dc3ba5f727c79.PNG

when recieving treatment for wounds, they wont need oxygen!

these two voluntary test subjects have been in this vacuum-room for the same amount of time. one is harmed, the other isn't.

so instead of wasting oxygen on duplicants, bring your club, sword, knife or whatever your enjoy torturing your slaves with.

beat, not breath!

The difficulty will be to be able to reliably hurt them without killing them. And between the time spend to be beaten and the time spend to heal their wounds, they won't do much.

However this is quite nice of an idea !

This has been around for a while now.  Not the best exploit ever.  If you are a competent player, you won't need this or use it unless you just want to keep adding Dupes that do nothing.  This is basically the exploit no one needs unless they screw up on O2 completely.

Not really sure that this can be called an exploit.  The Dupes accomplish nothing, so what's the point?

Maybe this is the Dupe equivalent to cryo-stasis...keep them on ice until things get better.

3 hours ago, angrybovine said:

The Dupes accomplish nothing, so what's the point?

Not entirely true. With a vomit dupe, you can reduce his resource burden and generate temperature controlled water. It's a very clever addition to duplicant ranching.

21 minutes ago, bobucles said:

Not entirely true. With a vomit dupe, you can reduce his resource burden and generate temperature controlled water. It's a very clever addition to duplicant ranching.

and the duplicant also pee's resulting in more water.

9 hours ago, badgamer123 said:

maybe we could dump heat on the black box...it seem you cannot really kill a dupe with heat(not melt at least)

Well theoretically you can.

However if attempted the resulting effect is that the dupe will begin to melt into itself and the game will crash.

Then again I haven't attempted to melt a dupe since the Thermal Upgrade...

Spoiler

I did it for science. :wilson_sneaky:

20 hours ago, badgamer123 said:

maybe we could dump heat on the black box...it seem you cannot really kill a dupe with heat(not melt at least)

heat up....hurt...stress/piss >water cooling>give some super hot meat lice...>heat deletion....repeat

they take damage if they its too hot - that's actually how i found out that they dont need oxygen.

10 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Well theoretically you can.

However if attempted the resulting effect is that the dupe will begin to melt into itself and the game will crash.

I'm curious on how you do that ! Did you actually melt a dupe and observe liquid genetic ooze, or does the game crashes before, because of the temperature being out of bounds ?

In debug mode, the maximum temperature seems to be capped at 1°C lower than the melting point of genetic ooze (and neutronium). However, it seems that when I managed to go beyond that temperature, game crashed instantly, unfortunately. Liquid dupes are the future, obviously since they can go through 1 tile high corridors.

Archived