Klei should focus on new mechanics in new content, like mountain climbing

I think for future content, Klei should focus more on new mechanics rather than just taking a lot of existing ones and adding new items, structures, creatures and so forth. Example, Hamlet got rooms with not moving camera and it allowed house and shop mechanics and that is quite cool. May be after sea mechanics Klei could some time focus on mountains and climbing mechanics in some way. Would be troublesome with camera, but may be they can think of some way to not have it move inside walls and such. It enable modders to make more cool stuff with new mechanics ready to be modified :)

Just now, Charsis said:

I think for future content, Klei should focus more on new mechanics rather than just taking a lot of existing ones and adding new items, structures, creatures and so forth. Example, Hamlet got rooms with not moving camera and it allowed house and shop mechanics and that is quite cool. May be after sea mechanics Klei could some time focus on mountains and climbing mechanics in some way. Would be troublesome with camera, but may be they can think of some way to not have it move inside walls and such. It enable modders to make more cool stuff with new mechanics ready to be modified :)

y'know, I like this idea. It made me instantly think of the one Vignette we got for The Forge. These would be no doubt a pretty cool addition!

image.thumb.png.bb8bdffeb58c08302b1c72350df04026.png

I mean this might be possible, DST is TECHNICALLy a 3D game, We only ever use the x and z axis though and slap 2D images on, Maybe if they made slope variations of tiles or wall tiles this could happen.

Klei is working on new mechanics, actually!

It's exactly what RoT is doing, think about it.

Spoiler

Boats=moving tiles.

Flares=limited map markers that are animated.

The Ocean=new physics, plus the new water effects.

Plank=an entity that lets the player mount with a moving object, and allows them to jump with physics.

Hounds being able to jump between sea, and land with ease.

And more.

Of course, these a bit more technical, but it goes to show they're experimenting! So something like this could totally be a thing one day.

I don't really see how Mountains can be added into DS/DST easily.
Though, it'd make more sense in Hamlet, wouldn't it? Hamlet takes place in the mountains.
Though, again, I'd love to see mountains one day.

Archived