Am I the only one feeling duplicants gets skill points way to fast?

I'm definitely a slow player, planning way ahead and slowing building my way there in no efficient ways. But I still feel like my duplicants are getting skills points way to quickly. Before I even set up my core base, everyone is maxed out in 2 or 3 skill trees. Right now I am at cycle 45 and I just keep getting tons of skills points that I don't need.

Is this just my slow playstyle, or do other players have the same experience?

For me it feels about right. I am playing Arboria really slow, with just 4 dupes to start, and I had to wait for points for my digging dupe to get into suits for quite a while after I already have built exos. As one more sync point, I usually have a need for a rancher (and research done) exactly at the same time for the second skill point acquired by the dedicated dupe. Same goes for the mechatronics engineer - I have a dupe with skill points by the time I have some refined metal to spare and some projects to benefit from sweepers.

But speaking on refined metals, that might be affected by the fact that lead on Arboria is available just like that. Feels like an unexpected gift on a map that's supposed to press you.

4 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

are you in beta (launch update)?

Yes

I don't mind the fact that you can get an early lvl 3 digger or maybe even a mechatronic pretty quick - but I just feel like after the 5th or 6th skill point they just keep rolling in with the same speed, and before I finished my core base everyone is maxed out in everything they'll ever need.

11 minutes ago, Greybear said:

tons of skills points that I don't need.

Me too, not enough morale to use them, but for others, it's not quick enough and they will hate you, when Klei would make it slower, based on your thread ^^
5d18cc23f21ef_shieldsup.jpg.8126e9838cbff4bdd4f8fd1194f1b3f7.jpg

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

...when Klei would make it slower, based on your thread ^^

Haha - if I had the power to make Klei change anything on this forum, I think I would start somewhere else - like fixing the horrible duplicant AI or making a thermodynamic system that works... 

Since I am a small 3-4 dupes base for the most part player too, I tend to have 2-3 skill points unspent on my dupes around cycle 50. But it's OK with me. Iwouldn't want the skills I *need* to be off line for too long as the challenge is enough for me.

However... why not a difficulty setting... skill gain: slow, medium, fast. I mean more choice is always happy right?

I go with a very reasonable 12-16 dupes for the first 100 cycles and I find that everyone can specialize in their main thing and get exo suits within the first 100 cycles more or less.  I don't know if skillups are too fast but there just aren't enough interesting skills in general.

14 hours ago, Greybear said:

Am I the only one feeling duplicants gets skill points way to fast?

Depends on how long your dupes survive. In my games, the skill points are constantly reset.

I would say It's a playstyle thing. If you build a big base with countless rooms in the starter biome with all or the most of the buildings, it takes a huge amount of time to do it. In this time you get more skillpoints as needed. I have for example many dupes with at least 8 skillpoints not set. I can't do it, because the food is still not very well.

If you only build small areas and build only the needed things, you have the problem to wait for new skillpoints to expand or learn new things. The rush players (Small builders) have maybe a problem, all others not. I am round about at cycle 200 and I am just preparing to breach and set up the oil biome structures.

Am I a slow turtle? :D

1 hour ago, DustFireSky said:

I would say It's a playstyle thing. If you build a big base with countless rooms in the starter biome with all or the most of the buildings, it takes a huge amount of time to do it. In this time you get more skillpoints as needed. I have for example many dupes with at least 8 skillpoints not set. I can't do it, because the food is still not very well.

If you only build small areas and build only the needed things, you have the problem to wait for new skillpoints to expand or learn new things. The rush players (Small builders) have maybe a problem, all others not. I am round about at cycle 200 and I am just preparing to breach and set up the oil biome structures.

Am I a slow turtle? :D

You're probably right - after all I'm at cycle 140 and haven't even finished my bedrooms, so that might be a reason why everyone have 5 unspend skills points :p

3 minutes ago, dearmad said:

I think the xp required for each new point should ramp up more steeply than it currently does, that's all.

If it does (or regardless, actually), it should start faster. It makes no sense that you get your first skill point fastest by printing a new dupe.

Archived