Absolutely nothin!

Potentially sorting your stuff easier so you can more quickly access it. Chests also keep items safe from fire wolves who might burn the objects on the ground.

Haha, those are actually very good points!

...but their log cost is crazy!:biggrin-new:

Ohhh, chest, I'm displeased.

Cause it means destruction, of innocent trees.

Chest means tears, to thousands of saplings eyes.

When their logs get cut up, into boards throughout the night.

I said chest, huh! Good god y'all!

What are they good for? Absolutely nothin!

I think you can safely ignore me...

Do things despawn yet after a set time? Cause if not chest have no value.

Things do not de-spawn if you leave on ground.

Aaaaand thats kind of my point. Sure like Rafe and Crazy said, protects from fire. Which if you think about it, is really odd for WOODEN CHEST! :biggrin-new:Okay silliness aside, I guess I wouldn't mind their borderline uselessness too much if they didn't take four piles of planks to put together! Seriously now, how does it take four logs to make a single pile of planks? Does Wilson like, cut out the middles and discard the rest? Is he wasting and not recycling?! Is Wilson an anti environmentalist?!Well couldn't totally escape the silliness.(Maybe it was three planks for a chest I don't remember.)Perhaps it would be nice if at least chest took only one thing of planks to build mmm?

I build chests because I like to make everything organized. I keep wood products in one, stone in another, and important items (like bees) in another. Now that I think about it the bee thing is actually not just organization. Dogs hit bee mine, release 20 angry bees from chest :p

No one cares about you Kittiko! (Just kidding~ :love_heart:)So umm, fire proof, rabbit storage, exploding bee boxes, and of course, neat and tidiness.Alright perhaps they aren't as useless as I first thought, but gosh darn the wood price sure is high!

OP has a point; chests are somewhat of a luxury. I'm in winter now and rather strapped for wood and i'm keeping about half a stack in case of emergency. With minimal storage all the grave robbing items i have are scattered about my base. I do like the rabbit idea but capturing rabbits is itself time consuming and like wood time is a valuable resource in the game. It occurred to me hunting during winter is a valid strategy and beefalo are always abundant.

OP was drunk and listening to the song War by Edwin Starr. xDBut I'm glad you see a point in it all the same. I'm a little surprised this became such a serious discussion. (Seriousness used sparingly.) But you made my day Rafe thanks. :love_heart: Edit: I mean night, you made my night. @.@

Edited by RedDeBlu

Rafe, how can you ever have a wood shortage? I just save a stack of 40 pine cones at all times. You can plant a forest and cut it down in a single day (though that is terribly inefficient). It is more efficient to plant 40 trees and wait a few days for them to grow though. If you do that you get 120 wood and 80 pine cones out of your original 40 trees. Whenever I feel low on wood I just plant a forest :p

Rafe, how can you ever have a wood shortage? I just save a stack of 40 pine cones at all times. You can plant a forest and cut it down in a single day (though that is terribly inefficient). It is more efficient to plant 40 trees and wait a few days for them to grow though. If you do that you get 120 wood and 80 pine cones out of your original 40 trees. Whenever I feel low on wood I just plant a forest :p

Usually i do plant my own forests and then wait till stage 3 trees come. I do the same to generate charcoal. This playthrough i'm on the razors edge and have been spending lots of time Exploring trying to find teh pig king, still haven't. I typically chop wood at night when i'm waiting for nightfall to end and only as i need it. Also I've begun to use beefalo fur for fuel making wood a little less valuable, though rope is an amazing fuel source. Also my source of lumber has been cutt off by Mac Tusk and son and hi have no projectiles other then boomerangs. Deer clops has just made an appearance and smashed 2 of my farms. He then moved south which is where i have my meat effigy.. Now i have to go check that! My priority now is getting through winter because my last 3 playthoughs all resulted in deaths before or during winter for 2 stupid reasons and 1 totally unexpected learning experience.

Can't you just store things in backpacks and drop them and do the same thing?.... I dunno I never actually thought of doing it till now but I assume that backpacks can't be destroyed which means storing things in them and dropping them would make sense for the winter for the deerclops... Nothing gets broken and I don't think he can just stomp on them....Maybe I am wrong but a backpack seems like a mobile chest to me unless I am thinking otherwise.

I think the other handy thing with chests is stack organising. I don't think you can use the ctrl+click on stacks of items on the ground to split them and such like that. It'd also get annoying trying to manage everything in piles, firehounds would be extra hazardous to your items as well.