Workshop Cleansing

18 minutes ago, trinket_4 said:

people xenophobic much?

I don't think is about that, as I too am suspicious when people use their own language in international context: you don't know what they are saying, could very well be ..unsavory stuff or various jabs dubbing for "inside culture jokes" and as an Eastern European I can attest most instances here of such behavior is to more or less "swear you to your face without you even knowing what's about". Plus using English in multicultural circumstances is a polite way to assure yourself you reach as many people as you can - I assume that's the goal of those mod developers, a far reach marketing-wise (some of them even advertise Patreon links in their mods page).

12 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I don't think is about that, as I too am suspicious when people use their own language in international context: you don't know what they are saying, could very well be ..unsavory stuff or various jabs dubbing for "inside culture jokes" and as an Eastern European I can attest most instances here of such behavior is to more or less "swear you to your face without you even knowing what's about". Plus using English in multicultural circumstances is a polite way to assure yourself you reach as many people as you can - I assume that's the goal of those mod developers, a far reach marketing-wise (some of them even advertise Patreon links in their mods page).

Calling using English in an international forum "polite" is a pretty dangerous concept imo. Some people simply can't speak English at all or simply prefer to address their target audience.

In most cases I've seen from all Chinese mods it's more about people not really knowing much English as being impolite. 

If you use Google translate on those mods you won't find covered insults that you weirdly suggest... Just basic info... Ofc there are exceptions but the majority of Chinese mods describe basic info only. 

13 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

The person who made the mod isnt obligate to translate it in enlish, he/she can write it on any language he/she wants. he/she translating into english is a plus.

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean it needed to be deleted

27 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

google translate makes an apple into a cucumber.

It's not perfect but most mods describe stats and general abilities. It's more than enough with goggle translate to understand that and also most of the time people translate into English in the mods' description too. 

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Calling using English in an international forum "polite" is a pretty dangerous concept imo. Some people simply can't speak English at all or simply prefer to address their target audience.

In most cases I've seen from all Chinese mods it's more about people not really knowing much English as being impolite. 

If you use Google translate on those mods you won't find covered insults that you weirdly suggest... Just basic info... Ofc there are exceptions but the majority of Chinese mods describe basic info only. 

2 hours ago, trinket_4 said:

The person who made the mod isnt obligate to translate it in enlish, he/she can write it on any language he/she wants. he/she translating into english is a plus.

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean it needed to be deleted

You can argue this: Steam Workshop is a market-place of ideas/concepts, potentially useful/fun software, and generally entertainment ..in a broad sense. You as a mod developer would want as much exposure for your product as possible and that includes being understood. Is not my duty as a Workshop random run-of-the-mill user/browser to understand you as is not me who comes to you asking for your certain product, but most of times you wanting to present me with some product you'll want me to use and further publicize (word-of-mouth, share, subscribe etc). In this regard, for ease of access, don't expect me (as simple user) to go into Google Translate for each random mod out there (more so as most mods use very un-intuitive supporting images) attempting some basic understanding of what you want to convey - even in English Google Translate struggles at times, not to mention the adaptation aspect of translation (totally not covered by this software translator, understandably so - is not AI). For better or worse English is the common internationally used language - and that's why is sensible and polite to address international audience in it. I get the concept of "diamond in the rough/dust" and whatnot, yet again: is not my duty to inform myself about each random product I am not actually/actively searching for, but solely browsing randomly.

2 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

You can argue this: Steam Workshop is a market-place of ideas/concepts, useful fun software, and generally entertainment ..in a broad sense. You as a mod developer would want as much exposure for your product as possible and that includes being understood. Is not my duty as a Workshop user/browser to understand you as is not me who comes to you asking for your certain product, but most of times you wanting to present me with some product you'll want me to use and further publicize (word-of-mouth, share, subscribe etc). In this regard, for ease of access, don't expect me to go into Google Translate for each random mod out there (more so as most mods use very un-intuitive supporting images) attempting some basic understanding of what you want to convey - even in English Google Translate struggles at times, not to mention the adaptation aspect of translation (totally not covered by this software translator, understandably so - is not AI). For better or worse English is the common international used language - and that's why is sensible and polite to address international audience in it. I get the concept of "diamond in the rough/dust" and whatnot, yet again: is not my duty to inform myself about each random product I am not actually/actively searching for, but solely browse randomly.

steam workshop is NOT a market as the mods are free and the creators aren't earning any money from it, so they don't have any obligations to translate or update de mod or give you any support if they dont want to.

Just now, trinket_4 said:

steam workshop is NOT a market as the mods are free and the creators aren't earning any money from it, so they don't have any obligations to translate or update de mod or give you any support if they dont want to.

Want me to start linking to mod-developers posting their Patreon (or adjacent) asking for donations and whatnot?

But primary aspect was: marketplace of ideas etc, already mentioned.

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I have to disagree with you there, I'm part of the Up and Away team and I'm being paid for my art there.

Usually modders doing own job/hobby (jobby!) without any paid.

But we must agree, no every modder make really good stuff. We have just few good modders in DST/DS who doing amazing arts, codes ect and few one-mod-creators ... but 3/4 steam's workshop is like "copy, paste" with changing creator nickname. Eg. I have few mods what I recreated for myself and I know I shouldnt add them on workshop - because code isnt my. I dont want to be thief because I respect someone else job.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

You can argue this: Steam Workshop is a market-place of ideas/concepts, potentially useful/fun software, and generally entertainment ..in a broad sense. You as a mod developer would want as much exposure for your product as possible and that includes being understood. Is not my duty as a Workshop random run-of-the-mill user/browser to understand you as is not me who comes to you asking for your certain product, but most of times you wanting to present me with some product you'll want me to use and further publicize (word-of-mouth, share, subscribe etc). In this regard, for ease of access, don't expect me (as simple user) to go into Google Translate for each random mod out there (more so as most mods use very un-intuitive supporting images) attempting some basic understanding of what you want to convey - even in English Google Translate struggles at times, not to mention the adaptation aspect of translation (totally not covered by this software translator, understandably so - is not AI). For better or worse English is the common internationally used language - and that's why is sensible and polite to address international audience in it. I get the concept of "diamond in the rough/dust" and whatnot, yet again: is not my duty to inform myself about each random product I am not actually/actively searching for, but solely browsing randomly.

Noone is expecting nothing from you... If you are interested enough in one of the all Chinese mods you can use goggle translate to test it out.. It's a choice 

Most mods aren't about the money. Ofc artists get payed if they are commissioned... But most of all mods are more fanart than anything. No "products" 

Comparing dst mods to a huge enterprise is just not true. Even if they have a patreon you can always subscribe to their mods for free. 

You'll find lots of mods that aren't pretty or balanced in any game.  Specially when there is NO consensus amongst modders pretty much about anything. As mentioned before here... No modder has to provide an English translation. It's all just fanbased work and all based on free time hobbies. Ofc we all wish all modders had the same quality standards but that simply not the case. 

Imo we should take this whole discussion to Steam cuz Klei can do nothing about it. I've seen the same discussions about the workshop for other games including Darkest Dungeon, Divinity Original Sin, Skyrim, etc. 

Imo the only real issues are the non existant copy paste protections and much more user friendly options with more tags to narrow down your search. 

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Noone is expecting nothing from you... If you are interested enough in one of the all Chinese mods you can use goggle translate to test it out.. It's a choice 

Most mods aren't about the money. Ofc artists get payed if they are commissioned... But most of all mods are more fanart than anything. No "products" 

Comparing dst mods to a huge enterprise is just not true. Even if they have a patreon you can always subscribe to their mods for free. 

You'll find lots of mods that aren't pretty or balanced in any game.  Specially when there is NO consensus amongst modders pretty much about anything. As mentioned before here... No modder has to provide an English translation. It's all just fanbased work and all based on free time hobbies. Ofc we all wish all modders had the same quality standards but that simply not the case. 

Imo we should take this whole discussion to Steam cuz Klei can do nothing about it. I've seen the same discussions about the workshop for other games including Darkest Dungeon, Divinity Original Sin, Skyrim, etc. 

Imo the only real issues are the non existant copy paste protections and much more user friendly options with more tags to narrow down your search. 

Agree to disagree on the translation aspect and market analogy.

I have presented my view on the matter but am not invested enough to actually care and start a discussion on Steam and the like.

PS: my suggestion to mod developers that might read this - pls do provide your mod with a nice description as comprehensive as possible but in the shortest way manageable, spot on the subject and, ofc, in English - you will have a vastly further reach if your goal is to make your mod popular in international context, desire quality and assorted feedback. Cheers!

I don't like a lot of mods on the workshop, but I am a strong believer in creative freedom.png.78edf87659610f1170fb6febdea30417.png and I don't want Klei or Steam to "cleanse" the workshop of any mods which are "awful" (even furry, op animu, meme mods, mature mods, reuploads with tweaks which nobody but the author and their friends will use, distasteful mods, ect).

Modder's create mods which would make their DST experience more enjoyable for them. If they share their mod on the workshop then other people have the option to use the mod which they put hard work and effort into then that's great!

Modders are also in no way obliged to cater to anyone or change their mod for anyone in that matter, just because you don't like furry, Chinese, anime , ect. mods or there is a mod you may find distasteful doesn't mean other people feel the same.

As long as steam guidelines aren't being explicitly broken people have to be allowed to make whatever mod they so desire. Nobody forces you to click on the mod or use it, if you don't like the mod then don't click on it and don't subscribe to it or all the blame lies on you.

More interesting or "lore-friendly" mods almost always get into the most popular section anyway so it isn't hard to find them even among the dozens of sans, furry oc, and Chinese mods.

The workshop is fine the way it currently is, though it could use some more tags to make searching and differentiating between mods easier.

Archived