Wortox strategies or tips

I just bought Wortox and tried him out on my old world, and I really like him. I'm not going to start a new world with him yet, but I was wondering if anybody already mastered him and found out the best way to play him. Do you guys have any tips, strategies, or trick to playing Wortox?

In my limited time playing as him, one of the things I strongly recommend is to punch butterflies. It's a passive thing you can do for the most part and you always gain souls in the early days, and allows you to travel the entire map even faster by soul hopping to the edge of your screen. The soul counter caps at 21, but you should always be slightly lower in the situation you get into combat where lots of mobs die quickly, such as frog rain or hounds. Wortox's abilities really shine in being in a large group, as his independence on feeding on souls gives other players the option of more food at the cost of his sanity. I would not recommend playing him solo, as most of his abilities revolve around team support and the hunger downside is annoying to deal with on your own.

For synergies, Wickerbottom can remove his downside of food with her books and focus on using them for travel or healing instead. Also, due to him and Webber being classified as "monsters" he has potential synergy in leeching off of spider wars for souls at a safe distance, as he still aggros spiders. In general, if anyone is going out to hunt any mobs, tag along to get souls.

Its a very versatile character honestly. I'm far from being a pro, but highlights I've found so far:

• Exploring the caves to find the ruins is a lot faster and enjoyable when you can jump through gaps. Also at least for now, each baby tentacle spawned by tentapillars give you a soul, which means that you can safely refill at tentapillars anytime.
  • Always keep at least 1 or 2 souls for quick teleports out of hairy situations, it has saved me a ton of times already.
  • Hunger is pretty easy to handle: if you have access to good food just make 2 or 3 meaty stews for the road. If you don't, you can survive perfectly fine on spiders, as you can cook the monster meat and then neglect any damage taken by the monster meat by healing with the spider souis. Carrying spider dens to drop around biomes for easy refill could probably work too. If you don't mind staying insane and kiting shadows once and then, you can just survive on eating souls, or make a mix of souls and actual food you find. 
  • He's awesome to live nomadic for long periods of time, and when you hunt on your ways, you can close the distance and punch enemies that are fleeing or kiting you with good timing, and constantly get both raw food and healing/teleports. I stayed out of a proper base from day 10 to day 25 with no problem, even getting freezing damage (I just kept killing spiders on my way and healing)
  • You can tank some fights with proper armor, since the hp gained from the souls obtained usually surpass any damage taken. 
  • Its probably not new player friendly, as I see how some people would starve going as him, or not balance out the equation of killing things and healing properly. If you go bananas on his powers you will most likely end up insane, out of souls and then die, so its not like you can do whatever with him regardless of the fact that it is a very powerful character.
  • He suffers the same issue Webber has of not being able to be friends with powerful allies such as the bunnymen army, or a pigmen lumberjack band. He's vastly more powerful and resourceful than Webber though so you won't feel that as badly as with Webber.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

He suffers the same issue Webber has of not being able to be friends with powerful allies such as the bunnymen army, or a pigmen lumberjack band. He's vastly more powerful and resourceful than Webber though so you won't feel that as badly as with Webber.

man i hope Webbers rework doesn't keep him as a Wortox downgrade at least a side grade please?

they are my favorite character

No pro here at all, but here're some little things I think of playing as him!

In the very early-game: after you craft/find a science machine - if low on hunger, eat up some souls to fill yourself back up before crafting to immediately gain back sanity lost after eating souls via prototyping!

As Wortox, I like finding and knowing where the deserts are asap and basing near one if possible because cactus are great for restoring sanity for Wortox, since they're abundant and available anytime of the day and he can pick three per soul - or alternatively base near moonstone or anywhere with green mushrooms since those don't cost souls to pick. Also very good to have a butterfly farm i.e a cluster of flowers (that can also be used for a bee farm!) right next to base to easily replenish souls. In winter and summer, get friendly with spiders - they're your soul farms now.

When dealing with spiders - you'll want to get a tent and especially a top hat early if you prefer being sane - always be mindful of your souls so you don't overload. It is very useful to have the Quick Drop mod to quickly relieve yourself of souls before you overload and in general for quick healing. Drop a few as necessary in between kiting the spiders. If you're near 20 souls and about the tackle a tier 3, just drop like 5 or so. You'll definitely get them back from the 10 spiders you have to get through to kill the tier 3. Never forget to souljump if you're getting overwhelmed - if you jump far enough Wortox seems to automatically lose aggro from the spiders.

Meaty Stews are about the only food aside from souls that will fill you imo. You usually don't want to eat souls too much since they are also tied to healing and exploring the map or underground - plus you'll have drained almost a third of your sanity solely relying on souls to fill yourself entirely back up. Hunt down Koalefants if you can to stock meat back up.

Lastly - spelunking! Wortox is very good at finding the ruins thanks to his overwhelming scouting ability, and also very good at cheating the labyrinth if he has the souls to do it - however you will probably have drained your souls the first time you find the ruins, so I recommend simply returning later with supplies and full stats (and allies in a multiplayer server!) to navigate labyrinth, kill stuff and heal your friends against the clockworks and Minotaur. (Or just speedrun find the Ruins and use the Moon Portal to change into WX and go back down lol) Extra points if you wear his Minotaur skin while slaying it!

EDIT: One thing I thought of but haven't quite gotten to try is planting fireflies on both sides of a gap that you regularly pass through (that is too far for your light source to illuminate) in order to souljump to in the dark i.e at night or underground - so Wortox can use constant light from the fireflies to souljump. Feel free to test this out - though it isn't much more than a niche convenience trick lol

Archived