Why do you need to become a farmhand for then be able to be a rancher?

51 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

New players can come up with the idea that ranching may be reliable source of food and invest in that before stablishing a sustainable farm.

Isn't it?

It's all my last couple of starting colonies have lasted on (well that and wild plants).

27 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Isn't it?

It's all my last couple of starting colonies have lasted on (well that and wild plants).

It is, but more likely to experienced players. I may be wrong on that, but seems like ranching takes more man power and needs more planning if a new players goes to rely on that for food.

Not a rule at all, just seems more fluid to present the concept of basic farming before ranching to a new player. Planting bristle blossom, lice meal and dusk caps is a good introduction to the game requiring basic piping, lightning, powering and management of gasses.

9 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Not too bad of a decision I think. New players can come up with the idea that ranching may be reliable source of food and invest in that before stablishing a sustainable farm.

The issue I see is that Farming, while easier to manage, takes a larger infrastructure to make it truly sustainable for the long term.  In comparison, Ranching is mostly set-and-forget at the cost of a single Dupe.

By having Farming be the pre-reque for Ranching, the more reasonable uninformed assumption is that Farming would be the easier thing, and Ranching the harder thing.  But in reality, once you develop a functional Ranching blueprint, the reverse is true.

On 28/03/2019 at 6:39 AM, MorsDux said:

Mayb Devs didnt want ppl to ranch from cycle 1

Pretty sure this is it. You'd be able to get exosuits, plastic & other late game stuff extremely early otherwise.

And like the above poster said, it's easier than farming. It would remove some of the challenge if you could start mass ranching hatchlings from cycle1.

On 28/03/2019 at 2:27 PM, Sasza22 said:

For me it`s like when you start working on a farm. First you don`t get a responsible job. You dig things, carry water, clean the stable. Farmhand jobs. After you prove yourself you get to tend the animals.

"If you can keep this plant alive for a month, we'll let you pet the hatchlings." lol.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:22 AM, Garueri said:

Ok. I really want to know, there is probably a good excuse/necessity for this but I don't know it.

If there is a necessity please tell me why.

If there isn't please tell me why don't we change it?

Farmhand can't apply fertilizer or operate farming buildings anyway, so the only real change is the +2 farming bump that slightly speeds plant harvesting time.  Since ranching (and farming) buildings are further down the tech tree, having a t1 ranching skill would have little effect, so might as well just merge the first skill.

40 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

he only real change is the +2 farming bump that slightly speeds plant harvesting time.

There`s also a higher chance to get a seed when harvesting which is useful early when you are low on seeds.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

There`s also a higher chance to get a seed when harvesting which is useful early when you are low on seeds.

Now for the first time I'm interested in composting seeds. I don't have the game with me now... so dumb question: how can we compost seeds? Seems like my dupes never composted them on their own even when idle, so I guess I need to tell them to do the task somehow.... right?

Offtopic: it also annoys me we need to lock sand out of reach for dupes in order to primarily use regolith as filtration medium consistently. A checkbox for sand or regolith in deodorizers and water sieves would be a dream. 

2 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

how can we compost seeds? Seems like my dupes never composted them on their own even when idle, so I guess I need to tell them to do the task somehow.... right?

Yep, you need to tell them to do it.  There is a compost button on the seeds.

11 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Now for the first time I'm interested in composting seeds. I don't have the game with me now... so dumb question: how can we compost seeds?

Put all the seeds in the same container and then compost them. It will save you having to click multiple times

On 04/04/2019 at 12:40 PM, Junksteel said:

Now for the first time I'm interested in composting seeds. I don't have the game with me now... so dumb question: how can we compost seeds? Seems like my dupes never composted them on their own even when idle, so I guess I need to tell them to do the task somehow.... right?

Offtopic: it also annoys me we need to lock sand out of reach for dupes in order to primarily use regolith as filtration medium consistently. A checkbox for sand or regolith in deodorizers and water sieves would be a dream. 

That's actually very smart. Now I know why my dupes keep going up and down in space....

On 28/03/2019 at 10:27 AM, Sasza22 said:

For me it`s like when you start working on a farm. First you don`t get a responsible job. You dig things, carry water, clean the stable. Farmhand jobs. After you prove yourself you get to tend the animals.

That makes sense but I think the main reason they did it was to not let you keep growing those hatchlings like crazy since cycle one, even meat is -1 to morale, so is the mush bar and meal lice, so it would be a nice meet farm since the start, what would be kind of op.

Archived