Late game goals

I'm still in the process of launching my first hydrogen rocket at cycle 1200+, but I'm sort of feeling like this colony is done. Once I have this rocket up and running I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

Making liquid hydrogen was a challenge. Not getting the cold, getting the temperature in the narrow band where hydrogen liquifies but doesn't freeze. For a while there I had an 800kg lump of frozen hydrogen in the chamber that refused to melt. In any case, I resolved that and it's fairly stable at around -258 C.

I've only surveyed out to 60,000km with my science rocket, but my understanding is that I'm not going to see anything more than what I've already discovered. Though I never did see a source of gold ore.

I feel the same way. Once you've "solved" rockets there's nothing left to do. Sure, you can optimize your base with the space materials, but that doesn't feel like a proper endgame.

One idea I had was that as endgame you can build one huge rocket, load it with a lot of materials and a few dupes and found a new colony on a different asteroid. Perhaps on a barren (or pure ice, or ...) asteroid, using the research and high-end materials from your first colony to make it live-able.

4 hours ago, Loraty said:

I feel the same way. Once you've "solved" rockets there's nothing left to do. Sure, you can optimize your base with the space materials, but that doesn't feel like a proper endgame.

One idea I had was that as endgame you can build one huge rocket, load it with a lot of materials and a few dupes and found a new colony on a different asteroid. Perhaps on a barren (or pure ice, or ...) asteroid, using the research and high-end materials from your first colony to make it live-able.

I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way. My current game will probably be my last one for a good long while. I am trying to use a few builds I haven't used before, and that keeps me interested... but once I solve those problems and achieve sustainability, I'll lose interest again.

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

On my last two colonies, I did not even get to rockets. When I have permanent sustainability, the motivation is mostly gone. 

I tend to agree. And unfortunately if you have a limited amount of dupes, like 4-6 and the map contains just one polluted water or slush geyser then you can have that goal achieved by cycle 200-300 without ever needing to go to space.

For me at cycle 1000+ its all about having things nailed down enough to have skilled dupes backed by a completed research tree able to try stuff out now there isn't anything life threatening going on.

Lock down space with door munchers or autominers? Cooling options there? Rocket base automation & rego management, How to do steam deletion properly/cheaply/better? Door pumps or gas pumps? Automation tweaks? Volcano taming, Gas/Liquid Silos using door pumps or liquid-over-vents, Oil biome lockdown and tidy up, Redesign industrial complex, redo my top/bottom spine travel/power/water/gas distro layout, Oil boiler, hydroponic/sweeper layouts and automation, dupe rocketeer training facility, Vacuum seal layer around core base, ranching optimization, core base cooling redesign, vent taming, chlorine kitchen redesign...

Once the above is sorted I've still a lot more to do and once my notes are updated I'll be able to test drive the new processes on a start-from-scratch.

Nope, definitely not bored at 464hrs on steam here...

I`m hoping they will add some kind of end game goal at release. Something after what you can say you`ve beat the game but still continue playing for your own goals like infinite sustainability.

In DS you can win the game without even builidng a base and any advnaced items. Maybe they`ll add a way to win without having to complete the tech tree and doable without rockets. Who knows.

I was hoping maybe I hadn't thought of something, and there were things people here did after launching hydrogen rockets.

I've got 3 rockets at present, one science rocket for exploring new worlds, one cycling to a world at 20,000km for refined iron and copper, fullerene and isoresin, and one cycling to a satellite at 30,000km for steel.

I've got 2 electrolyzers running full time to supply my liquid oxygen / hydrogen setup. Plus some hydrogen from my main air plant.

I'm dubious about sending rockets anywhere else. Oh, sure, ice worlds yield wheezewort and frozen methane, but wheezeworts don't begin to compete with steam turbines for serious cooling, and I've got about as much spot cooling as I think I need.

I built an oil boiler, but it's not operating at full capacity because I'm not using petroleum fast enough. I haven't built a sour gas -> natural gas converter. I could do that for the experience, but I don't need one.

My sleet wheat farm is working fine, so I don't need to build one of those. I've managed to solve my dirt problems. Mostly, my glossy drecko ranch sometimes runs short of dirt for the mealwood, it's a distribution problem.

I have a polymer press, and 30 tons of plastic in reserve. I make plastic faster than I use it.

I've got a regular drecko ranch, feeding drekos with balm lillies because they're free. This is more important now than the glossy drecko ranch because of the fiber requirement for insulation.

I have a moderate transport tube network.

I have about 50 tons of water reserve, and my steam geyser chambers are filling up with water because I'm not using it fast enough.

That's about it, isn't it? As far as what there is to do?

I am currently preparing for 20km and 30km rocket, and already I have excess of everything. Whats left for me is to clean up my wiring and maybe my base, but ideally I think the thing that will let me continue playing right now is how to make life better for my dupes. I mean, the living conditions are decent, but the quality of life isnt there. I just put bed whenever I can, or wherever the closest to entry point of most task heavy location, basically function over life quality. 

So maybe after getting decent space resource I will start managing that. it might not be the true end game but I think at this point, we make our own end game. Sure they have something in mind for full release, something like a far away colony would be nice, as in sending new dupes to new asteroid to make new colony and basically turning everything full cycle, or a possible multiplayer trade hub of some sort. 

14 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Juegos-DLC-Meme-740x422.jpg

99.8% agree for this.

(back onto the topic)

So you know the game got a little story. However the devs never further develop the plots in the game, making this fun not included.

Boring if it has no plot.

Building new stuff is interesting. Twiddling your thumbs while your Dupe astronauts roll dice isn’t interesting.

I’m not quite done with my current colony yet. I’m seeing problems with heat buildup on the landing pads - particularly the new hydrogen rocket. So I thought that I’d build a little cooling unit to keep that under control.

Which should have been straightforward, but led to a cascade of other stuff. Like deciding I should finally build a jet suit airlock, since my main spacesuit airlock’s pretty far away from the work site. Which made me add a bunch of ventilation since the area for the jet suit dock area had poor access to oxygen.

Then I had a minor crisis, because I decided to move a floor with some storage in it from the surface base to my main base, and as soon as I started filling it with air the temperature shot up to 150 C. I had neglected to check the contents of the storage, which was some fairly hot material.

I could have just reversed my earlier decision and exposed that stuff to space again, but I decided to cool the area off instead. Which was a significant project, given how much heat was present.

I finally got that done, and the ventilation upgrade, and the jet suit dock, and I’m just now working on the cooling turbine for the rocket pads. Somehow in the course of that I spilled a bunch of water and now I’m mopping that up. Which is taking longer than you might think because really major spills covering 40+ tiles can be surprisingly difficult to mop.

Even when you’re pretty much done and you’re doing stuff just because, this game tends to have domino effects.

5 hours ago, zergologist said:

Go hunting for all space relics. That'll give you something to do for a long time

Unfortunately, it boils down to rolling the dice over and over again while making sure your rockets are supplied with... whatever fuel they're using. Not a very interesting problem to solve.

Archived