A silly concept I came up with (Wilton in Hamlet idea!)

I started brainstorming a re-envisioned Wilton concept for Hamlet just today!

I was thinking of something like a mummy-esque depiction with inspiration from old tombs. That's when I thought of Wilton, but Wilton is a skeleton, and skeletons (probably) don't have to eat anything. So I was thinking. . . ...what if Wilton was actually a husk for a whole colony of bugs?

This would give some justification for hunger, as Wilton isn't actually alive, but the bugs could be using him as a vessel to be a moving nest! So when Wilton eats, it actually feeds the bugs hosted inside. :o

And I was thinking of this queen bug as the indication for health, so when the queen dies, the entire colony dies, because without the queen they couldn't repopulate. 

Below is a very quick Paint Tool Sai concept for a mummy husk Wilton:

image.png.327a40bd411f02857391da6ce4b14b1c.png

Thanks for reading this goofy, bug filled post. :wilson_dorky:

DANG! Here we go, now this is a solid and unique concept!! A lot of people have some concepts that could be interesting, but they never really flesh it out. Think you could flesh out some other aspects and elaborate on some of his perks and downsides?
Love the bug concept, just love it. 

This is a really interesting and unique idea! Kinda reminds me of 1 milion ants from Rick and Morty.

I could see a character like this working out but Klei'd need to give him some unique animation such as death animation being his husk breaking down and bugs escaping.

Or maybe that could be his perk? That he doesn't "die" and instead bugs make some other movable nest from dirt?

Ohhh I know what perks he could have!

"Half undead" -Wilton isn't alive and is a husk controlled by colony of bugs. He cannot use traditional methods of resurrection. Touch stone and life giving amulet doesn't work. Meat effigy maybe could since it even looks like something bugs could use as a movable nest. He cannot regenerate his health, you get hit you permanently loose health.

"Can craft himself a new body"- New craftables, Various bodies, every one having something special about itself. For example one would move faster but have less health, other would be slower but hit for more dmg, Maybe a spider husk. Or "fat" husk that has more inventory but moves slower and does less dmg. Think crossover perks from other characters. When Wilton "dies" special animation that I mention earlier would play. Then if he had built a new body we'd see another new animation of bugs infesting that body. If no new body then you're dead for real.

Maybe through quotes we could learn that these bugs are actually sentient and have a hive mind which would explain why he still has to manage sanity.

Just a perk that I came up with. Anyway I like the idea of bug-infested husk

Here's an idea: overfeeding the colony! (Eating past the maximum hunger for benefits at the cost of food.)

(To lose the overfeeding you'd either go hungry or lose the bugs in damage)

(Poison kills off your infestation of bugs much faster.)

(Taking too much damage will temporarily destroy your damage reduction, and will leave you slightly more exposed than if you weren't infested)

Stage 1: Normal

- Regular stats and normal hunger drain

image.png.479205c91219cdcaa9fb8d6772dd3c3d.png

Stage 2: Crowded

image.png.fc946291bd4703851014ba0f1bf4fc22.png

- More bugs, more cover! - Slight damage reduction + increased hunger drain (1.25x) (Gotta feed those new arrivals!)

(Getting hit now displays small bug bodies flying out of Wilton)

- Chance to spawn a bug on hit (Bugs act as befriended followers that help you fight, and won't go away until killed or when Wilton drops back to Stage 1)

- Very slow health regeneration

Stage 3: Infestation

image.png.2092772758b5ffe9fcf9ec6a40c12a06.png

- Much higher hunger drain (1.75x)

- All Stage 2 benefits apply

- Much more bugs! (Slightly increased damage reduction)

- Now has a chance to spawn a swarm of bugs upon taking damage. (Temporarily disabling hostiles by swarming in their face, and making them run in a panic as if they were on fire. The swarm does a small bit of damage. Panic does not affect boss mobs.)

Being able to "nest" other skeletons in the world?

I like the idea of Wilton being able to create a new body, so what if they could sacrifice health and or use a new craftable (Bug nest?) to implant inside of a corpse found in the world. Upon death, you will not be able to re-use *your* skeleton, because it will have disintegrated (I liked that idea too!) and will play a unique death animation.

The remaining colony flees Wilton's body as they fade away

image.png.d4afc0aa2472c27d6849504852676729.png

Perhaps Wilton could drop a pile of bandages upon death which can be harvested for a piece of cloth?

image.png.843c1017fbb065983c777ba0d05d12f2.png

image.png

Bug nest

image.png.6c1ebdf48a7db0923a0058ced3584fc9.png

Implanted skeleton (boon)

image.png.f3c756b6af943f4e9d1384f6c80a1019.png

Here's an idea my bro made for the "making new bodies" idea.

A spider body that gives Wilton some partial Webber properties such as spiders being neutral towards him, but spider warriors remaining hostile. :wilson_curious:

2 hours ago, Maknov said:

Being able to "nest" other skeletons in the world?

Well persoanlly I like my idea more. Of no health regeneration,  not being able to use live giving amulet and touch stone and having to build new bodies.

Cuz what you said would be based on rng. For example Hamlet has almost no skeletons 

16 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Well persoanlly I like my idea more. Of no health regeneration,  not being able to use live giving amulet and touch stone and having to build new bodies.

Cuz what you said would be based on rng. For example Hamlet has almost no skeletons 

I do really dig your idea, I just didn't wanna copy it word for word. :wilson_dorky:

Perhaps Wilton's effigies/new bodies would require bone shards instead of beard hair? Bone shards aren't hard to come by in Hamlet I remember correctly.:wilson_curious:

Oh! And maybe keep the damage reduction on "overfeeding" the colony, but removing the health regeneration? That could make for some possibly interesting/high stake battles if you aren't able to regenerate health. 

7 hours ago, Maknov said:

I do really dig your idea, I just didn't wanna copy it word for word. :wilson_dorky:

Perhaps Wilton's effigies/new bodies would require bone shards instead of beard hair? Bone shards aren't hard to come by in Hamlet I remember correctly.:wilson_curious:

Oh! And maybe keep the damage reduction on "overfeeding" the colony, but removing the health regeneration? That could make for some possibly interesting/high stake battles if you aren't able to regenerate health. 

there should be dmg reduction because it's literally punching soft bugs instead of the normal exoskeleton XD

what if the bugs are beanbugs found under rocks so its an existing creature and when you "eat" item beanbugs you gain heath for they are now part of your colony

also what if the bugs replace them selfs (healing) at the cost of hunger by making more bugs

idk i just want my 2 cents in just comment your opinion of it

Literally the best idea about Wilton I ever saw. Cool concept!!!

Also! Wilton has strong opportunity for a story. 

I mean he has soul of a man binded to bones. And a bug-colony that allows him to stay "alife". Meaning that his sanity is questionable. His soul is broken and there are two natures inside him. There is tormented soul and an collective mind of bug-colony.

I kept thinking about his perks and it hit me. What about freezing, overheating and starving? How'd these work.

Well my quite easy but also somewhat complicated idea was that he'd have 2 health "bars". 1 for body and another for colony.

Body health would work as I said in previous posts.

Max colony health would always stay the same (different bodies wouldn't change it) and seasonal hazards would damage it. If it goes down then you're dead for good and nothing can ressurect you.

You'd regenerate health overtime if you lose some to freezing etc. Or not. I'm not sure cuz healing through food is just too easy.

Also colony health would be something like 25-40

14 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I kept thinking about his perks and it hit me. What about freezing, overheating and starving? How'd these work.

Well my quite easy but also somewhat complicated idea was that he'd have 2 health "bars". 1 for body and another for colony.

simple:

hunger = colony "health"

health = skeleton "health"

Lets say bugs just hide in the skeleton if it is hit.

And Wilton might loose a bit of hunger if damaged. Bugs get smashed.

Overheating and freezing drains hunger instead of health. Bugs die out.

High ammount of hunger will give bonus to speed, as more bugs can move bones faster, harvesting and crafting faster - bugs help out better, bugs start to pick up items in close range (like orange amulet).

Loosing hunger creates effect of dead bugs falling down from the skeleton.

What about wetness?

I feel he should slowly take damage while insane as a way to portray the colony being stressed out.
I think certain colonies do this, and end up killing each other when extremely stressed out. In ways other than the suicide circle. 
Or just have the colony slowly die out when insane, but make foods give a bit more sanity than usual. A fed colony is a happy and calm colony.

4 hours ago, Mooagain said:

This looks really cool! would he have any interactions with the gnats and weevoles?

Good question, I never really considered gnats or weevoles. If anything, I suppose they'd be neutral or remain neutral for longer with Wilton, maybe?

image.png.401579f8443613a1acb0c58a0b75a79c.png

Archived