Gym Strength Training + MOGOM = Automated PO2 production at massive scale.

With the current hype in using PO2 off gassing for oxygen needs, I started building liquid reservoirs and deconstructing them to provide all my oxygen needs.  However, having to remember to manually deconstruct and then rebuild made a fully automated base impossible.

So, inspired by @Yunru's MOGOM (Manual Off Gassing Oxygen Module) and @fishoutofwater's dupes go to the gym, I decided to put the two together.  Here's the build, or at least the first rough draft (hoping to see improvements).

5c735f6573a81_Screenshotfrom2019-02-2420-01-17.thumb.png.002162cde5ee2ad1055e6d83be8dc434.png

Rather than using a single pump providing 10kg/s to mop up, you can basically stack together as many liquid tanks as you want (dupes can mop up anything up to 150kg). You can fill the tanks with a single pump, and then dispense all the contents at once, or you can skip the tanks and just use 4 pumps. Since a single power line can support just 4 liquid pumps, I decided to stop at 4 tanks. Using 8 tanks would half the time needed between moppings. 

• The hydro sensors need to make sure the water level never passes 150 kg.  I have them set to pump if the liquid falls below 120 kg. 
  • The air tiles around the liquid are to make sure that no tiles break from over pressure (weird things happen sometimes when doors close on liquid). The mesh tiles are just to make walking easy. 
  • A pressure sensor on the door can turn this system on/off. The dupe currently mopping will finish mopping when they need to meet a personal task (might be an entire day - others won't have to return as soon) and then the door closes. Once the door is closed, no other dupe can mop till it reopens.
  • The mop command persists through the closed door. When you open the door later, another victim dupe will come. The liquid is coming in so fast the dupe cannot ever complete the task (I can't guarantee this, but so far have not seen it happen).  
  • The closed door pushes the bottle above the door, the liquid falls to the sides, and you have a massive off gassing bottle. All fully automated. No algae required (which is needed for the current terrarium builds).
    5c735f6944e80_Screenshotfrom2019-02-2420-04-39.thumb.png.f9ed7795320014f9b3218ef7a01f8f9f.png

I currently plan to put this entire module in a sealed room that has only 1 gas, polluted oxygen, and require an atmosuit to enter. . This will ensure even dispersion of gas, so the pressure sensor will work best.  I'll then pump the PO2 to an O2 refinery (deodorizer or liquid O2, not sure which yet), and then from there pump the O2 into my base. 

• If I opt for clay, then I'll probably use a door pump to push the PO2 to a side room full of deodorizers, and then let the O2 freely flow into the base from there.
  • You could just as easily pop a bunch of deodorizers above this thing (put it near the bottom of your base) and go from there.
  • The problem with such a large bottle is that you'll get bursts of gigantic amounts of PO2 that your deodorizers may have a problem completely taking care of.  Several smaller bottles is easier to handle in an open build. 

Hope someone found this fun. I currently think the PO2 offgassing mechanics are a little too over powered (I might even go so far as to call it an exploit). This mechanic makes all other oxygen production systems inferior.... 

Pretty cool!  I've been relying on Neotuck's design for my recent bases of using algae terrariums to create the PO2 bottles and placing deodorizers underneath them so they create a vacuum allowing the bottles to constantly offgass.  I think that's a bit better since you might as well convert the algae to oxygen in the meantime too, right?

If you're out of algae, I like the look of this more than Yunru's MOGOM.  This looks more compact and quicker.

7 minutes ago, Epishade said:

I think that's a bit better since you might as well convert the algae to oxygen in the meantime too, right?

I want to save my algae. I hope to at some point be able to compress it all into one huge ball, and then put it on a display table to impress the dupes. :)  

In all honesty, the only part about @Neotuck and @KittenIsAGeek design that I don't particularly like is the initial regular cool water consumption. I know that the initial setup requires a lot of water, and outputs 30C PW. This new setup means that the second I get access to a PW pool, I can slurp it up and have the PW bottles without using my starting water. I think I'll go copy one of their builds, and replace the terrariums with this (leaving the deodorizers and everything else the same). If I do this, I'll provide a side by side comparison with pros/cons of each.   I bet this will take less space. 

I think this is as simple as you can get for a MOGOM (and nice job on the lateral thinking needed!).

A large problem with my build was the space needed to prevent the dupe from just picking the bottle back up, but you don't use a bottle emptier at all! Although this does depend on either a steady supply of pwater, or a "resevoir full" sensor.

I'm going to take a crack at foolproofing the mop command.

EDIT: Nope, not possible :/

Doors won't close on dupes, so there's no way to break them from mopping.

42 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Unpowered.

I bet we could devise a way to open the door below the dupe, drop the bottle and dupe below the system, then close the door and pump the water back up. The only problem would be if your sweep command remains active in midair (mine do).

18 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I bet we could devise a way to open the door below the dupe, drop the bottle and dupe below the system, then close the door and pump the water back up. The only problem would be if your sweep command remains active in midair (mine do).

It's weird, I found that in tests I couldn't get the water to drop before the sweep completed, at least unpowered.

10 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Could you add additional information on how the training effect will be (x cycles per Str gain) and whether there are limits/milestones that can be achieved (carrying capacity, diminishing returns, etc.)?

Haha.  I wish I knew that. If someone wants to collect this information, and share it, I'd love to have it to. 

5 hours ago, Yunru said:

Huzzah! A mesh door works wonders!

Yep, however the mesh door won't push the bottle above it upon close, breaking this from working (though easily fixable). 

I dug into the sweep command a little more. Here is what I found.

1. If you issue a command on the mech door and then close the door before anyone comes to sweep it up, then the command disappears. 
  2. If you issue a command and a dupe starts mopping, and then stops, then you can close open the door as much as you want.  The command will not disappear.  Please try this on your system to see if it works. 

The thing I like about this setup, over the MOGOM, is that you don't have to deliver bottles in 200kg loads. You don't ever have to move the bottles. Just let them sit where they are mopped up. 

If the pnematic door option is one you definitely want, then a simple pneumatic door can still be used, without having to move the bottles.  Just drain the water to the sides (open a couple mech doors), after the dupe leaves.  Problem solved. The bottle will still off gas as needed once the water falls into the newly created holes.  You'll have to fiddle with automation some to make sure the pumps don't work while these lower doors are open (not too bad - a not gate followed by an and gate). The trickiest part will be detecting that the dupe left the room. Here's a rough sketch (no water has brought in yet). 

5c749a69ed34a_Screenshotfrom2019-02-2518-41-12.thumb.png.f40b64df98213895ace01c68aa228307.png

Archived