Recently Discovered a CopyCat Server

Hello all,

A while back I decided to start hosting a dedicated server for my discord, which is currently the closest thing to an official DS/T Discord (discord.gg/dontstarve)
A bit after that and I recently noticed another in game server piggybacking off of mine's name/description in an attempt to confuse the users from my discord and leech off of it.
bcyB5p7.jpg

I was unsure if there's anything that could or can be done, and as such contacted Peter asking about it. He suggested I post it here for more guidance on the subject. Again I'm not really sure if there's anything that can be done about it, and I'm pretty sure if I just change the name/description/password the other group is going to do likewise. However this has been confusing some of my users attempting to join the discord's dedicated server, and I'd prefer if this weren't the case.

I guess the steam group is the only reliable difference? I don't know if the other server can set your steam group as theirs, if that's not the case, you could highlight for players to join on steam. 

But ofc, I would prefer if there couldn't be such confusing servers.

From https://d2fr86khx60an2.cloudfront.net/US-Steam-noevent.json.gz

Spoiler

{
  "__addr": "73.190.181.165",
  "__lastPing": 1550259046,
  "__rowId": "cd4ceeddec18d95875f980a6ebef1702",
  "allownewplayers": true,
  "clanonly": false,
  "clienthosted": false,
  "connected": 0,
  "dedicated": true,
  "event": false,
  "fo": false,
  "guid": "6154184875640280798",
  "host": "KU_QyKzdpSz",
  "intent": "cooperative",
  "lanonly": false,
  "maxconnections": 12,
  "mode": "survival",
  "mods": true,
  "name": "Don't Starve\/Together Discord Official Server",
  "password": true,
  "platform": 1,
  "port": 10999,
  "pvp": false,
  "season": "winter",
  "session": "6CC046C79603B818",
  "slaves": {
    "2092877996": {
      "__addr": "73.190.181.165",
      "__lastPing": 1550258829,
      "id": "2092877996",
      "steamid": "90123431506893832",
      "port": 11000
    }
  },
  "steamclanid": "103582791464024178",
  "steamid": "90123431506963456",
  "steamroom": "0",
  "tags": "english,survival,group,caves,woodie rebalance,healthinfo,shipwrecked,characters,walani,warly,wilbur,woodlegs,shipwrecked characters,dedicated,server,enhancement,ghosts,cannot,regenerate,the,world,combinate,repair,combine,wormhole marks,dedicated, server, enhancement, ghosts, cannot, regenerate, the, world,",
  "v": 305472,
  "valvecloudserver": false,
  "valvepopid": ""
}

So at most all I can say is to see who 'KU_QyKzdpSz' is to you by checking any server logs you have on the person.

Without the ability to directly go from KU->Steam64 it's hard to say just who the person is.

There was this thread a while ago about fake Klei servers:

But Klei ended up making them stand out on the server list to ensure that they look different.

Upon further inspection the user has a Steam group attached to it.

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791464024178

Which as of this time only has one group administrator:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073827036

Make of it what you will, as anyone could attach any group to their server.

But perhaps you know this person and could resolve it between you two.

Oh, and this is the group's comment:

Spoiler

image.png.8a31d660d69e4c0d271c0036f0da2d27.png

So yeah, this looks like the person you'd want to resolve your conflicts with.

@JohnWatson Mine is the official one associated with the DS/T Discord, the issue is that @ButteryStancake has his server name set to the identical Name and Description, and it's confusing users from my server. I don't know the motivations for this but I'd prefer it if he'd change the name/description to something completely different and not confuse my users.

Ever since I have begun hosting the server (the first of March 2018), it has always been named after some sort of inside joke affiliated with the official Don't Starve/Together Discord, with the latest name and description following the exact same principle.

There are a number of key differences between our servers which are almost immediately noticeable beyond any initial confusion one might have at first:

1. Your server doesn't run mods, but mine does.
  2. Your server is linked to a group of your own creation, while mine is linked to a group of my own creation.
  3. The password to your server is public knowledge, while I've only distributed mine to a small number of players in a group completely separate of your audience.

As such, I find it hard to reasonably make a case that the intention behind this change was to leech off of your following for my own personal benefit, and I will be formally denying this request.

Thank you for your time, Mr. Mulk, and do not hesitate to correspond with me if you have any further concerns.

Your "joke" Name and Description has caused much confusion on my server, and while I recognize there are several minor differences, regardless it is more than similar enough to cause confusion for my users, inconveniencing significantly more. However, since you appear to be unwilling to repent on this issue, I have no trouble changing my server name and description to something different accordingly, allowing you to maintain your specific name/description for your inside joke ;)
As such this should solve the issue and we can both move on with our lives.

Mulk,

I continue to remain uncertain of how these similarities could have possibly resulted in any confusion from your users, as the mods icon on my server is very clearly visible from the server list, and it is noticeably absent from your server. It is also impossible to log in to my server using the password for your server, which makes it even more unlikely to have caused any sort of issues with my server leeching from your server's member count.

While it is understandable that this could have caused inconvenience to newer players of your server, once they have logged in to your server once, they will become inherently aware of the lack of mods on your server. This would prevent this mishap from occurring ever again in the future, especially if they sort their server list by servers they have previously joined. I personally use this setting so that when I search "Don't Starve/Together Discord Official Server," the only result that comes up is my server, and not yours, as I do not want to deal with the confusion of determining which one I am supposed to join.

I share an equal lack of understanding as to why your first method of action was to contact Peter rather than attempt to atleast rename your server first to ensure that this was not just a huge misunderstanding and massive coincidence that your server happened to share the same name as my own. For this, I am baffled.

Hopefully you will be able to shed some light on this situation, as I feel I am personally missing out on some critical information here.

The issue should be resolved then, and how I chose to approach the situation is up to my own personal choice, as contacting the developers is an ability I specifically had. To clarify, I went to Peter for guidance on the subject (as it was a fairly unique situation I have never encountered before), and even specifically stated I did not think there was really anything I nor Klei could do about the issue, which is why he suggested I make a forum post, in order to potentially resolve the issue in an amicable manner. I'm glad to see this has worked, and the issue should be fixed now. There shouldn't be any overlap and concerns of renaming have been clearly addressed in this situation, allowing both of us peace of mind that there won't be any more confusion. :)

How now, @ButteryStancake I discovered this when using the browser once again.
image.thumb.png.cc2cc9a88674d43283303d00f1371952.png

This seems uncalled for, why would you rename your server name/password to once again confuse my users further? This appears really immature and petty on your part, I'm sad to see you stoop to this. I have chosen to do the mature thing and simply change the old name/description, and your response is to merely copycat the name/description identically once again? For shame.
There was no need for this after we'd already reached an acceptable resolution before. I respectfully request you change it to something else in order to stop confusing my users.

Mulk,

The recent change on my server was done at the request of one of my users once they realized that your server's details had changed. For fairness, we held a poll, and it passed by unanimous consensus, and I know how much you like those.

I am not one to override something we voted on, but I will poll again to change the name to something a bit more reasonable.

Thanks,

Butt Cakes

On 15. 2. 2019 at 2:07 PM, x0VERSUS1y said:

Oh look: exactly what the forums were in need of right now - more manure postings! :abnormal:

19 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I call dibs on Public-Laundry Day!

All fun and games but now is time tooo...

KISS 'N' MAKE OUT!

kiss_and_makeout

Reveal hidden contents

now_kiss

[Homo-eroticism intensifies]

Serious lads... :rolleyes:

HmMmMmm

1 minute ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

*meow*

Spot-on chap! (here's a cookie) 'Cause all this thread seems to be just another manure posting. And it gets really tiresome to see kids basically squabbling in forums for something easily solvable with a PM. Or ignore - is a server name for Pixel's sake. In the wake of those troll insanity-story topics by 2 of your favorite jokesters around here, in general forums, present thread feels more and more like.. the joke's on us, the readers. A very blunt and uninspired "joke". What boredom does to some ("specialu") people.. :abnormal:

I guess respectfully requesting someone doesn't use the identical server name to the one being used for the unofficial DS/T Discord is just too much too ask? I even was recommended to post on the forums by a developer on the subject, so I'd say it's more than warranted.
Like I get it may just seem like just a name/description, but this dedicated is associated with the DS/T discord and it's genuinely causing confusion every time a new person is going to join and they're seeing two servers with the same name/description.

It would take @ButteryStancake less than 5 minutes to change the name/description to something different, and this entire issue would be resolved. I would just change my server's name again but there's no point in doing that as he'll just copycat it again.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Mulk said:

I guess respectfully requesting someone doesn't use the identical server name to the one being used for the unofficial DS/T Discord is just too much too ask? I even was recommended to post on the forums by a developer on the subject, so I'd say it's more than warranted.
Like I get it may just seem like just a name/description, but this dedicated is associated with the DS/T discord and it's genuinely causing confusion every time a new person is going to join and they're seeing two servers with the same name/description.

It would take @ButteryStancake less than 5 minutes to change the name/description to something different, and this entire issue would be resolved. I would just change my server's name again but there's no point in doing that as he'll just copycat it again.

Simple: post in your Discord and/or Group what-it-is that some BillyBobby is trolling you with same naming of their server because.. butterflies and rainbows I guess. Since is only concerning your Discord/Servers Group. And solely people from your Steam Group are seeing with special-icon and first-in-their-servers-list your server. For other people matters not. If you target new people.. ok: let them decide by the quality of your provided service if they will join your Steam Group or not. This copy-cat competitor (again if this all isn't a big and stupid joke) has mods, probably causing instability in their server - newsflash: vast majority of mods cause client instability; thus you, being vanilla, already have a theoretical advantage - more stability. And that's that. Kids are stupid and do silly stuff - case in point (if, again, is genuine), they will grow and hopefully get smarter, "get with the program". Cheers!

17 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

In the wake of those troll insanity-story topics by 2 of your favorite jokesters around here, in general forums, present thread feels more and more like.. the joke's on us, the readers. A very blunt and uninspired "joke". What boredom does to some ("specialu") people.. :abnormal:

In baby language please because I seriously don't understand

Archived