Wishlist: Airlock Building

I would love to see an airlock building. I know you can do an airlock with liquid or viscous gel, but if you can send a dupe to space, you should be able to build a proper airlock. 

I feel like it can be late game research and high cost: plastic + refined metal. It could be pretty large 6x4 or 4x4 and require power. You can have a nice airlock swoosh sound. No gas in except pumped. And some delightful dupe decontamination animation (say this 5 times fast). There can be a delay if there is a difference in pressure or atmosphere.

You can have gases pumped in and gases pumped out of the actual. For example, if you pump in chlorine, to decontaminate the dupes and anything they carry.

I would also like to see doors that can only be entered if the dupe is wearing an atmo suit. And the above-described airlock also have the option. 

13 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

A proper airlock would open one door, dupe gets in, door closes the gas would pumped out, and then the other door opens. I would think, this would interfere with pathfinding, because the path will be blocked.

That`s what dupe chackpoints are for. Dupe walks in, checkpoint makes him wait, gas gets pumped out, dupe passes by. The problem is gas takes horribly long to pump out so the dupe is standing there wasting time.

I`d love a visco gel based airlock that is buildable. Just so you could place it horizontally.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

That`s what dupe chackpoints are for. Dupe walks in, checkpoint makes him wait, gas gets pumped out, dupe passes by. The problem is gas takes horribly long to pump out so the dupe is standing there wasting time.

In such case we just need an pump equivalent that takes in all gas in one go, but is somehow subpar to normal pump. For example can't pump gas into pipes, so gas can only be release back.

4 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

In such case we just need an pump equivalent that takes in all gas in one go, but is somehow subpar to normal pump. For example can't pump gas into pipes, so gas can only be release back.

Hey this is actually doable. Imagine having a mesh tile floor and airlocks submerged in liquid below (critter butchery setup). Then a set of airlocks above and some roon for the gas. Once a dupe walks in he stops at the checkpoint water gets pushed up and pushes the air above the ceiling airlocks. Then those close and the bottom opens leaving a vacuum inside. Finally the dupe can pass.

Only issue might be the checkpoint getting flooded. Other than that it works like described - pushes the gas in one go but not into pipes.

Hi,

An airlock consisting of doors and a pump is very slow and energy consuming.

While I like the many interesting solutions in this game, I hate it when you have to build up certain non-intuitive patterns like the "water lock". There should be a good solution doable without using exploits.

What is about a "super pump" that quickly removes all gases in a small room, but takes some time to output these gases into a pipe?

On 12.02.2019 at 8:50 PM, AndreyKl said:

Can use premade vacuum: large room with vacuum, when you open door to this chamber pressure will equalize, but since volume difference is huge total pressure would be small_room_volume/large_room_volume. and then you can slowly evacuate large room.

Scr697.png.f93cb245690ce8a42c06728adf209cc8.png

upper door is valve, when open it almost instantly drop gas from small airlock room(2 tiles volume) into big evacuated room(54 tiles volume) so pressure will drop to ~0.037(2/54, or 3.7%) of initial pressure. and then you can slowly evacuate big room while this constuction on idle.

but it occupy much space.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, Sasza22 said:

Super coolant freezes the gas in no time.

14 hours ago, kaidu said:

While I like the many interesting solutions in this game, I hate it when you have to build up certain non-intuitive patterns like the "water lock". There should be a good solution doable without using exploits.

Water lock is not an exploit! any beaver can tell you this! 18659fe26ac573d865052706906b4576.jpg

2 hours ago, anton_stezhkin said:

Water lock is not an exploit!

It is. IRL the gas pressure inside of the beaver den equals the pressure outside.
In the game you can have a vacuum on the other side. Normally the fluids would boil in that case, but in ONI this doesn't happen.

6 hours ago, anton_stezhkin said:

Super coolant freezes the gas in no time.

I didn`t think about that. Can dupes get hypothermia in atmo suits btw?

3 hours ago, Azunai333 said:

In the game you can have a vacuum on the other side. Normally the fluids would boil in that case, but in ONI this doesn't happen.

Actually what would happen first is the fluid get pushed to the other side (then it will boil). If the pressure in a real life liquid lock isn`t equal on both sides the side with the higher pressure pushes the liquid out until it equalizes. In vacuum it is impossible to use those but for separating different gas types it should be fine.

4 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Can dupes get hypothermia in atmo suits btw?

Shouldn't be an issue i think, vacuum are insulator so after all gases condense there left nothing to conduct heat(cold...).

Good idea btw, probably most efficient way, so as compact.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:17 AM, Azunai333 said:

It is. IRL the gas pressure inside of the beaver den equals the pressure outside.

One thing about ONI is that it has its own set of rules and laws of physics, largely because the real world physics is very hard to simulate.  Many of these rules and laws are based on the real world, but many of them are not.  I believe that this is OK as long as those rules are internally consistent.

One of these rules is that there is no such thing as pressure.  pV=nRT does not exist in this game.  Same goes for any effect of pressure on liquids.

I would argue that liquid locks are not an exploit because they make sense given the quantum nature of tiles and the nonexistence of pressure in this universe.  In fact, given these rules, the nature of liquid locks are the only way that structure can work without modifying the very foundations of the universe.

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

One of these rules is that there is no such thing as pressure.  pV=nRT does not exist in this game.  Same goes for any effect of pressure on liquids.

For gases there is some density equalization rule, but only within same gas, 2 or more different gases of same mass can have different densities in same enclosed space, it make weird results such 5kg/tile layer of.hydrogen floating on top of 1kg/tile layer of chlorine gas in closed room.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, Zarquan said:

Not quite true. There is just three separate pressures, first when states are different, second when materials are different, and third when materials are the same. When states are different, if it's gas, it always lighter than liquid, and solid always sinks in liquid. Vacuum considered to be a gas ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). When state is the same, heavier gases go down, as well as liquids. If state and material are the same, mass of gasses always equalizes, but liquids on the bottom layer of a pool always have higher mass than on top layer (due to virtual pressure).

So, due to simplification, because vacuum is a gas, and gas is lighter than liquid, vacuum always stays on top of liquid. Not quite formula issue.

upd. by "equalization of/lower/higher mass" I meant mass/tile, ie density, of course :?

On 2/14/2019 at 4:59 PM, Sasza22 said:

I didn`t think about that. Can dupes get hypothermia in atmo suits btw?

No.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, Zarquan said:

One thing about ONI is that it has its own set of rules and laws of physics, largely because the real world physics is very hard to simulate.  Many of these rules and laws are based on the real world, but many of them are not.  I believe that this is OK as long as those rules are internally consistent.

I would argue that liquid locks are not an exploit because they make sense given the quantum nature of tiles and the nonexistence of pressure in this universe.  In fact, given these rules, the nature of liquid locks are the only way that structure can work without modifying the very foundations of the universe.

BTW, the Gods told me that many of our so-called inventions are bug uses from Their point of view. They think it's quite funny.

what about a water or air curtain door? 1x4 tile: 1 input, 1 output, 2 'door tiles'. somewhere late in the tech tree, perhaps special builder perc needed, needs plastic and refined metal and perhaps even closes down when no I/O and is only usable if placed upright.

water curtains would let dupes pass and give them the proper debuffs (wet, too hot/cold, germs).

air curtains would also let liquids pass (or even get broken), but could be used with chlorine to build a walkthrough disinfector (with less germ killing than basin and scrubber). 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:15 PM, Gwido said:

I think it's part of a survival game to think of a way to create this type of building by yourself. ;)

To much "shorcuts" kill the "survival". And this game is already too easy in standard mode in my opinion. :( 

While I agree to an extent I think building an airlock should be way more viable and less janky

Archived