About Aquatuner + Steam turbine

Yes if you block the input :

But even without this glitch, it's interesting to associate the aquatuner with the turbine to delete the heat.

With a non glitchy turbine, even 2 aquatuners don't produce enough heat to run it 100% time, you will have to add some energy but you will delete a lot of heat.

The steam turbine takes in steam at temperatures of 500K or greater and outputs at 425K. With all inputs unblocked it takes 10kg/s of steam to drive the turbine. Steam has a SHC of 4.179.

So to supply enough heat to run the steam turbine constantly with all inputs unblocked and no exploits you'd need 4.179 x 10 x (500-425) = 3134 kDTU/s of heat to keep it going. For reference, an aquatuner cooling supercoolant can only output 1181 kDTU/s, so you'd need 3 steel aquatuners to supply heat to one turbine. This is before considering that you need some way to get the steam back under the chamber unless you use the gas conflict exploit.

There's a reason why the steam turbine isn't considered a viable power source without exploits or input blocking. On the other hand, it's amazing for dealing with waste heat.

21 minutes ago, jfc said:

ah I see, i guess no steam turbine for me then

There are a bunch of applications where the steam turbine is useful. For example, rockets produce a staggering amount of heat on launch and takeoff. While you can of course just vent the hot gases into space to get rid of the heat, it takes relatively little setup to dump the heat into a steam turbine instead. Just run hydrogen filled pipes through the silo in a loop to transfer heat into your turbine room. You don't even need a regulator or aquatuner here.

(You could try super coolant or petroleum, but those run the risk of boiling in the pipes)

It's just... the only practical ways to get it power positive without exploits are rockets, magma and bunker tiles. It's more useful for temperature control and a little extra electricity than actually running your base's power grid.

15 hours ago, jfc said:

doesn't seem a glitch to me, more like focusing all the heat in just one direction

Given you have the error message "input blocked", yes it's clearly an exploit bug since the Steam Turbine need to have all the five ports free to run.

Honestly the real problem I have with the steam turbine is the underpressurisation issue. Depending on whether you consider door pumps an exploit or not, there isn't really a practical non-exploit way to cycle the steam while remaining power positive.

(You could vent into space, but that's a horrendous waste of water that could be fed to oil wells or electrolyzers instead).

You can condense the steam with a heat exchange.  This is a very time consuming and difficult thing to do.  Now that I have made the condensing part of the boiler, I'm really just angry at klei for making the steam generator some awful.  i'm  just going to use the door hack next, because CBFA.

On 04/01/2019 at 7:02 PM, Arcus2611 said:

The steam turbine takes in steam at temperatures of 500K or greater and outputs at 425K. With all inputs unblocked it takes 10kg/s of steam to drive the turbine. Steam has a SHC of 4.179.

So to supply enough heat to run the steam turbine constantly with all inputs unblocked and no exploits you'd need 4.179 x 10 x (500-425) = 3134 kDTU/s of heat to keep it going. For reference, an aquatuner cooling supercoolant can only output 1181 kDTU/s, so you'd need 3 steel aquatuners to supply heat to one turbine. This is before considering that you need some way to get the steam back under the chamber unless you use the gas conflict exploit.

There's a reason why the steam turbine isn't considered a viable power source without exploits or input blocking. On the other hand, it's amazing for dealing with waste heat.

Just... pump it?

18 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Just... pump it?

To do it the "real" way, 10kg/s of steam requires either 20 gas pumps or a steam to water condensor capable of cooling the equivalent of a full pipe of water 325+ degrees every second and then reheating it the lost 325+ degrees plus another 75 to get up to turbine temperature again. 

This is why people use door pumps and/or block input ports. 

Archived