Is it possible to kite on DST servers?

Hi! I'm kinda new to the game, so I might be asking a very unintelligent question. Is it possible to kite on DST? Seeing how the server is hosted on a player's computer, there should be some transmission delay between what's happening on a guest's screen and what's happening on the host's screen. Since that it'll lower a player's reaction time, are DS kiting strategies still viable in DST, or are they completely obsolete?

2 hours ago, Princess Wendy said:

Hi! I'm kinda new to the game, so I might be asking a very unintelligent question. Is it possible to kite on DST? Seeing how the server is hosted on a player's computer, there should be some transmission delay between what's happening on a guest's screen and what's happening on the host's screen. Since that it'll lower a player's reaction time, are DS kiting strategies still viable in DST, or are they completely obsolete?

Hello, and welcome to DST and the forums. :)

Actually, kiting depends on the server you are playing in, it ss always better to play in the server with lowest ping, I only would recommend turning Lag Compensation in game's menu to None, Small Textures and Netbook mode to On and playing wired to your router.

Welcome on the forums!

Kiting does exist in DST, tho it feels (is?) a bit different from kiting in DS. You can kite everything in DST that you could in DS. The better the ping, the better and more reliably you can kite on the server. From my experience, if the ping reaches 100ms it gets a bit more difficult, and on servers with around 150-180ms ping (servers from other continents... :S ) it gets definitely more complicated. It is still possible to kite there if you get used to it, but usually you can hit one less (annoying by bosses) and much more unreliable. There are still groups and their servers however that are so good that it is worth to play on them even with 180 ping ;) 

To be honest, while many people recommend turning off lag compensation, I just cannot stand it. It makes your character move a bit later than you actually press the button (I mean, noticably later), and however illogically that might sound, it very much annoys me. On the other hand, I got used to kiting with lag compensation.

Yes you can, and there are servers with this map called "Kite Academy" where you can learn the settings to use for kiting, and the basics of DST Kiting, as it is noticeably different from the base game's kiting. 

In other news, you could simply start the game in offline mode, play by yourself and it's exactly like DS kiting. So, that's something, I guess.

Fimmatek gives the best answer so far above.

I would add to just do one attack less than you normally would until you feel comfortable and confident when fighting. If you're still getting sub 100 (or green if you prefer) pings, you can usually safely fight and kite like you normally would.

Thanks for all the replies! Kite Academy sounds like a wonderful place, I'll try them out. I never noticed the "lag compensation" option before, but turning it off sounds like a good way to adapt.

On a side question, are players who specialize in reviving/healing a thing on servers? I'm not actually that good at fighting (without Abby, I would be dead), so is it alright if I try to stay outside battles and play support instead?

14 minutes ago, Princess Wendy said:

On a side question, are players who specialize in reviving/healing a thing on servers? I'm not actually that good at fighting (without Abby, I would be dead), so is it alright if I try to stay outside battles and play support instead?

You can do whatever you can... experimenting and deaths are canon. :D

12 minutes ago, Princess Wendy said:

Thanks for all the replies! Kite Academy sounds like a wonderful place, I'll try them out. I never noticed the "lag compensation" option before, but turning it off sounds like a good way to adapt.

If you don't want to fight you may also try to support your teams with food & health.

I like it to play as Webber and to support my Team with Beacon & Eggs or Pierogi for example.

As Webber you can feed a spider and tell him to attack another nearby spider (Attack the other spider but stop your attack before hitting him, otherwise all the spiders around you will start attacking you). Other spiders will become triggered because a spider is being attacked which will trigger all spiders to fight & kill each other. During you can just hold your spacebar and collect all the drops, it's necessary to do it while they're fighting because Monster Meat will be eaten quickly. This only works if there are 2 or more nests nearby.

As Wendy you can just attack a spider at dusk or better at night to trigger nearby spiders and kill every Spider with Abigail. Collect the loot when there are no spiders nearby to prevent insanity or high damage in case of if Abigail dies.

Beacon & Eggs is a nice durable food item and can be made with 1.5x meat and 2x eggs. Cook the Monster Meat and give it to a bird in a Birdcage to get some eggs. You can try to roll Beacon & Eggs with 2x Monster Meat and 2x eggs but that will have a 50% chance to give you Monster Lasagna but that won't be a problem as Webber because he doesn't gets any penalties from Monster Food. Otherwise you'll have to get a Morsel, a Drumstick, Frog Legs or any other non-Monster Food to get the 0.5x meat for Beacon & Eggs. Morsel can be farmed from birds with a Boomerang but due to the fact that Wendy has a 25% damage penalty, she'll need 2 throws for a bird. Drumsticks need Berry Bushes nearby which need to be picked during daytime (otherwise the gobbler will hide just as soon as it spawns). Frog Legs can be farmed with Abigail but need a Pond nearby, same goes to Fish.

Pierogi is one of the best healing items ingame but requires a Vegetable. Placing a Rabbit Hutch close to or right inside your spiders will make a Bunnyman appear which starts to attack a spider and gets killed pretty fast, dropping 2 carrots every day which won't be eaten by spiders because they only prefer meat.

And for Sanity I recommend to gather enough honey from Beeboxes and turn them into Taffy.

3 hours ago, Princess Wendy said:

When I started DST, I used to play with a friend who wasn't good at fighting so what he would do for dragonfly, bee queen or ancient fuelweaver is stand back and use sleepytime story in sticky situation, craft weapon/armor if we needed it or go back at base to get get stuff that we forgot while I was fighting

Even though fighting wasn't his thing he sure was making himself useful in what he was good at being a support, base builder, etc. He might be the best Wickerbottom player I have played with as of today.

My point is that a support is as good as pure fighter. There is nothing wrong with that.

24 minutes ago, Princess Wendy said:

Sounds great! I'll exercise in speedmaking Pierogis and Telltale Hearts, then. Can't be worse than trying to use a spear. 

Try working on getting Life-Giving Amulets early on, they're much better for revival than telltale hearts (which cost 40 hp to craft!), and can be gotten kinda early if you decide to explore the caves. take someone who can fight with you, though, as it isn't the safest place for a person who can't fight. (Also i totally feel you, when i was new i also relied on abigail to fight.) Welcome to the Forums!

Just now, Mattyington said:

Try working on getting Life-Giving Amulets early on, they're much better for revival than telltale hearts (which cost 40 hp to craft!), and can be gotten kinda early if you decide to explore the caves. take someone who can fight with you, though, as it isn't the safest place for a person who can't fight. (Also i totally feel you, when i was new i also relied on abigail to fight.) Welcome to the Forums!

Thanks! You're right, using an Amulet allows you to skip the Booster Shot injection. You're on Discord as well, right?

11 minutes ago, Princess Wendy said:

Thanks! You're right, using an Amulet allows you to skip the Booster Shot injection. You're on Discord as well, right?

Yep! You can find me by "Snowfallen Matty"

-EDIT- 
Thought i might add this, you might want to learn how to fight yourself eventually, People aren't always there to fight for you.

28 minutes ago, Mattyington said:

Yep! You can find me by "Snowfallen Matty"

-EDIT- 
Thought i might add this, you might want to learn how to fight yourself eventually, People aren't always there to fight for you.

Nice! I'm Wenaura, we might have already met on Discord.

So far the only fighting style I know of is head-on tanking, which is pretty much the worse way possible. I'm currently practicing kiting mobs, but most of the times it feels like the mobs are kiting me. (Is that even possible?)

2 hours ago, Princess Wendy said:

Both ways to revive each other can be nice.

Telltale Heart (restores 80 Sanity with every usage):

• Cut Grass can be obtained from Grass Geckos, enough Grass Tufts (spawns Grass Geckos and can be fertilized with rot without penalty) or Tumbleweed
  • Spider Gland: Has a Chance of 25% to drop from every Spider and farming Spiders isn't a problem with Abigail
  • The 40 Health cost can be restored with 5x Spider Gland, 5x Butterflies (not during Winter; just kill spawning Butterflies and eat the Wings for +9.375 Hunger and +8 Health), Sleeping, etc.

Booster Shot:

• Rot: Use Juicy Berry Bushes (if available) or Light Bulbs (mostly from the Ruins entrance underground), they do grant many fruits and rot pretty fast
  • Nitre is bit more rare but can be obtained by earthquakes or the better way: Collect Moleworms and dig up their burrows, they won't despawn when doing this (fixed in a previous patch) and drop you also some Rocks & Flints
  • Stinger: Useless item which can be obtained with Abigail really easy (just trigger a Killer Bee Hive and look at Abigail killing them all)

Life Giving Amulet (can be used without any allies nearby, is non-stackable):

• Gold: Easily obtained from Pig King with Trinkets or by fishing Eels underground
  • Nightmare Fuel: Farming Shadow Creatures while you or anyone else is insane
  • Red Gems: Earthquakes, Stalagmites, Red Hounds during Summer/Autumn, or cursing & killing normal Hounds as a fallen Player

26 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Both ways to revive each other can be nice.

Telltale Heart (restores 80 Sanity with every usage):

• Cut Grass can be obtained from Grass Geckos, enough Grass Tufts (spawns Grass Geckos and can be fertilized with rot without penalty) or Tumbleweed
  • Spider Gland: Has a Chance of 25% to drop from every Spider and farming Spiders isn't a problem with Abigail
  • The 40 Health cost can be restored with 5x Spider Gland, 5x Butterflies (not during Winter; just kill spawning Butterflies and eat the Wings for +9.375 Hunger and +8 Health), Sleeping, etc.

Booster Shot:

• Rot: Use Juicy Berry Bushes (if available) or Light Bulbs (mostly from the Ruins entrance underground), they do grant many fruits and rot pretty fast
  • Nitre is bit more rare but can be obtained by earthquakes or the better way: Collect Moleworms and dig up their burrows, they won't despawn when doing this (fixed in a previous patch) and drop you also some Rocks & Flints
  • Stinger: Useless item which can be obtained with Abigail really easy (just trigger a Killer Bee Hive and look at Abigail killing them all)

Life Giving Amulet (can be used without any allies nearby, is non-stackable):

• Gold: Easily obtained from Pig King with Trinkets or by fishing Eels underground
  • Nightmare Fuel: Farming Shadow Creatures while you or anyone else is insane
  • Red Gems: Earthquakes, Stalagmites, Red Hounds during Summer/Autumn, or cursing & killing normal Hounds as a fallen Player

Wow, these tips are really useful! Thank you! I guess that I'll carry the materials for both of these methods, so that I could use all the pros.

I never thought that killing butterflies would be so beneficient, I always wondered why so many players recommend going genocidal on the butterflies. I'll kinda feel bad if I do, though.

Do you know which healing item is considered to be better between Pierogi and Honey Poultice? I'm hesitating about which one to focus one, since that one is easier to make but perishable, but the other lasts forever and requires more advanced ingredients...

Pierogi, for egg make a birdcage with 2 paper (8 reeds), 2 seeds and 6 gold get a bird. For the meat since you play Wendy you can simply farm spider. For the veggies either get cactus from the desert but if you are not afraid to go in the cave find the ruins at the begining of it you will see alot of lichen which is the best source of veggies in the game and since these always spawn at the entrance you wont have to deal with the big danger of the ruins.

Honey poultice are bad since the animation is way too long also if you are playing with a Wolfgang pierogi being food means more hunger point to keep up his mighty form.

Kiting is very much possible on a public server, but a lot of kiting guides change in that their recommended swings gets a big -1 to how many hits they tell you to do.

like when you fight a koalefant, all the guides say "hit him 6 times, then dodge". On a pub server, just be sensible and hit him 5 (and then run away). Sometimes even 4 if you can feel how laggy and stuttered the swing and hit sound are.

And that can be applied to a lot of fights.

Treeguard, I see many guides saying "you can do 4 hits", just play it safe with 3 or 2. Your life, is more valuable than killing an enemy faster, so taking the safer path and not being greedy with swing count is always the better choice if you think there's a risk.

If you are new, some of the better monsters to practice kiting that I found helpful when I was newer, would include: spiders (if you are completely new to the combat and kiting, a single basic spider is probably the safest enemy to practice dodging hits and learning how to dodge), pigmen (teaches you how to really capitalize on timing your attacks and understanding the window you have to dodge enemies because of how he runs away), koalefant (teaches you to count your hits, since you can actually hit him a very large number of times to get him), treeguard (teaches you how to kite big attack range). If you are practicing, make sure you have a spear and a logsuit (or a football helm) ready, but as you practice more and more you'll find yourself flawlessly perfecting fights and basically butchering every living creature in the game you can swipe a spear at. Also once you master kiting/combat, the shadow monsters and going insane literally stops being an issue.

8 hours ago, Princess Wendy said:

Do you know which healing item is considered to be better between Pierogi and Honey Poultice? I'm hesitating about which one to focus one, since that one is easier to make but perishable, but the other lasts forever and requires more advanced ingredients...

If you'll keep killing Spiders every night (remember to fight them during night because Abigail deals 40 damage only during night, 20 at dusk, and 10 at daytime), you can obtain Eggs & Spider Glands pretty easy which can be turned into Pierogi and Healing Salve: Rocks won't be a problem with a Moleworm Farm, which can also be used for Booster Shots; Ashes can be obtained from Light Bulbs or anything burnable (remember to pick up the ashes, else it will disappear after some amount of time). Once again you can try to focus on both things.

And maybe I would recommend to turn Honey into Taffy, Taffy has pretty much the same Sanity effect as Green Mushrooms, restores more Hunger but also takes more Health ("Eating too much candy is bad for your health"). If you want to farm a Bee Box safely you can place an Ice Flingomatic nearby & burn the Bee Box (Check that the Ice Flingo is active and has enough fuel, else the Box will b' gone!). The Bees will instantly exit the Box and be frozen by the Ice Flingomatic, that way they won't trigger on you if you pick up their honey (Only bees inside the Bee Box will trigger whenever you pick up the honey). They'll also produce bit more honey because every bee will exit the box & start collecting honey upon doing this.

On 28/12/2018 at 12:44 AM, Princess Wendy said:

Pierogi is considered the best one. I Say you make A Honey farm, and make Honey Ham too, though. It's a really nice healing food ,and let's not forget stuff like:

Fish Sticks (2x Fish, a filler and a stick, I Believe.)

Turkey Dinner (2x Drumsticks, 1x Any Meat (Morsel for example,), 1x Veggies (Carrots, 'shrooms, not berries.)

Butterfly Cake (1 butterfly wing, 1 vegetable, 2 twigs/filler [Thanks @Warlockadamm].)

And if there are any more, i'll add them here.

Pierogis it is, then! Now I'll just need to try to get an insulated pack early on to keep things fresh. The kiting training tips are really useful, who would have thought that Pigs made excellent sparring partners? 

I'll add making honey farms one of my priorities, the Flingomatic trick is really clever! 

Sorry for all the questions, my experience was mainly on Pocket Edition, so there wasn't anything such as co-op or kiting. Thanks everyone for answering them!

Archived