URGENT Please Read IF YOU STREAM DST!!!!!

I have been streaming DST for over 1 year now and have built a well known community since then I have been actively seeking Partnership on twitch. I am not one to make waves but when I received this reply from Twitch I was in shock and felt as if all my hard work has been for nothing. Klei I believe you need to look into this because this can affect others than just myself. My numbers were around 50+ Before the drop system came around and in my opinion it has been the best thing to ever come to DST it gets more viewers it encourages new people to spread the word and use twitch for the first time. But to see it affect my hard work in this way has been devastating I honestly have lost all motivation and do not know what to do. Twitch has a very slow response system when it comes to these email and they in no way specify that Drop "games" on twitch are the same as Raids, Hosts etc and I believe this needs to be viewed. Klei I love your company and would appreciate some feed back and maybe some help. Without further discussion here is the email reply from Twitch.

Hi Travis,

When evaluating your viewership, we found that a significant portion of your current viewership are there for drops, and that these viewers are not engaging with your channel in meaningful ways. Because drops provide an unfair advantage to streams who do not play games with drops, similar to hosts, raids, and embeds, they are not currently considered for Partnership, however you can focus on converting drops viewers to your followers and community members in order to grow your channel. Outside of drops viewership, we do see your channel growing and think you are getting closer, however we would not be able to grant you a Partnership at this time.

Please continue broadcasting great content and expanding your audience before reapplying in 3-4 weeks.

Best,

Twitch Partnerships

I found Travs channel bcse twitch drops, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I SEE HIS CHANNEL FOR DROPS, I really enjoy travs stream and i know Travs deserve a partnership, his channel and even his viewers are amazing, also i know a lot of others streams are equally good, see that this happens is really sad

1 minute ago, Zeraus01 said:

I found Travs channel bcse twitch drops, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I SEE HIS CHANNEL FOR DROPS, I really enjoy travs stream and i know Travs deserve a partnership, his channel and even his viewers are amazing, also i know a lot of others streams are equally good, see that this happens is really sad

Same here! I found his channel due to drops but i was immediately drawn into his streams due to his radiant personality and his intriguing gameplay and i continued watching. He and his community are so friendly and I know he works so hard for this partnership. It's sad to see that the reason his hard work keeps getting declined is due to these drops that bring him new potential long time viewers.
I'm sure his current fans understand that he works super hard for partnership. His twitch career is more important than drops :D  

Maybe they could have worded that a little bit better. 

But what they are trying to say is that the views you get from people coming in to watch your stream for drops aren't used by themselves to consider you for partnership. You have to be able to convert those people to follows and subs as a returning and active userbase. 

So for example - you could be friends with a big time streamer and they host you after their show every day. That would get you big numbers, but unless you're converting a good amount of those people to follow and sub, Twitch won't consider that your userbase. 

This doesn't mean that you can't participate in drops or that they are bad. Only that you shouldn't consider those views as your 'viewership' until you have otherwise converted them. 

Twitch wants to see that people come to your channel to be entertained and that it's growing.

People coming to your channel for drops is just the very first step and one that will not get you partnership alone. It won't hurt your chances, but you have to convert them into fans before Twitch will consider them your fans.What that means is that for X number of new people hit your channel what percent of those people convert to a follow and what percent of those then convert to a sub. I don't know what numbers Twitch is looking for specifically, but I know specifically that they are looking for organic growth. 

I hope that makes sense. I know you're working hard, don't let it get you down. This happens all the time, I don't know this for certain but I think this is part of how they operate as well. They want to see hustle and they want to see that you have the fortitude to stick with it. It seems to be pretty common that people are denied for one reason or the other before they are accepted. 

They said in their message "we do see your channel growing and think you are getting closer" - I would strongly consider those as words of encouragement. They wouldn't say it if it didn't matter.

I am confused by the message Twitch is trying to send here, particularly for drops.

When I first heard Klei was doing drops on Twitch, I thought this was win-win for the entire community. More promotion for DST (and Klei), more skins for viewers, and more support for streamers. Unlike hosts, raids, etc, which happen to some lucky streamers, I have seen drops enabled on pretty much every DST stream. Hence, I don't think this was "unfair" to other DST streamers. They had the same advantage.

This message seems to imply that it is "unfair" to non-DST streamers when developers, like Klei, promote their game via Twitch?  I think this puts developers in an awkward position and I'm not really sure what they are supposed to do here. 

I personally don't see why siphoning drops is a good idea. Especially with Don't Starve getting new content and events that aren't just frilly items obtained by watching; Forge, Hamlet, Winter's Feast, and a new line of DST updates should promote growth for all parties, but Twitch is selling us short.

Hello Joe,

First off thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it and if only they did word it that way it would be a lot more clear. The problem still is not understanding that drop views are technically not part of your community yet. The problem is distinguishing those who are, twitch has a way of looking at Raids, Hosts etc because they show when it happens , however they have no way of finding out who is there for the drops or the content. Similar to having a party and you promote free drinks for those who show up. Someone then walks into the party and has to guess how many people are there for free drinks how can they tell? This hurts streamers who already had an established community because twitch has to make guesses based on what they see. I think in this case I would just like to see streamers like me and new streamers just understand more about how drops can play a part on how twitch views their channel. 

Regardless thank you for all your hard work Klei the drop system is amazing and in no way am I blaming that I am just saying Twitch needs to explain in more detail prior to enabling drops on streams. 

Have a great day :)

44 minutes ago, AllFunNGamez said:

, however they have no way of finding out who is there for the drops or the content

Well, they do. It’s by who ends up following instead of just watching. It may not be the perfect way of determining who has an ongoing interest in the stream itself, but it’s a way. Obviously, streamers in your position should be urging their viewers to hit the follow button, which I’m sure you already do. But now you have another reason to ask them to.

Twitch is probably looking for engagement metrics that you currently don’t have, mostly in part to the increased passive viewership that giving stuff away brings. Sure, Twitch could do a better job communicating what metrics they look for specifically but often times platforms keep these qualifying conditions an industry secret to prevent users from gaming the system.

Patience and persistence here are key, try to think of your situation this way: drops are bringing people to twitch who never considered the platform before, even if only 5% of them become regular users of the platform that’s still a win for EVERYONE. Don’t overly concern yourself with the trappings of success, chasing the material isn’t a recipe for living a fulfilling life.

idk - I understand where they are coming from.  I've watched streams before on Twitch, but I don't watch them very much.  Since the drops came to DST I've had to mule over 5 hours of DST streams to get an item in game.  This often means I load up a twitch stream in the back ground of what I'm actually doing - or I load it before I go to sleep and let it run through the night.  I don't pay too much attention so it makes sense that Twitch wouldn't consider me a real viewer of the channel.

I have followed and subbed some twitch channels before, and have watched streams more intently than I do now, I just don't care much to watch other people play a game that I could be playing.  Youtube on the other hand has gotten quite a bit of attention from me as I watch people's DST guides for bosses, rushes, and build strats that will help me play more.  Maybe if the stream for DST was more informative rather than just a "hang out" it might catch my attention a bit more.

As such something I could suggest as an activity when streaming to possibly convert viewers like me, would be to pause the 10000 day mega base server and do a segment showing off some strats for ruins rush, d.fly rush, farming tactics ect highlighting some solo / team techniques that players like me could implement in their own games.  Also as a tip - do it without the OP characters.  The biggest turn off for any video / stream is when they show off combat strats using Wolfgang.  I don't want to play him lol and its a very different experience when you do.

Just my feedback, thx.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, Shosuko said:

[snip]

This. To me though, it's an issue with the format; it's just difficult for me to watch that much of someone doing something that I myself could go and do, doubly so when it's not toward a focused goal.
That said, edited videos give the creator a chance to focus on the 'highlights' of a game/activity, and I find myself watching Youtube videos of moments from people's Twitch streams far more often than actually watching said streams. Having some idea of whether or not the content will be focused around something specific that I'm interested in is a lot more appealing than finding a stream and hoping it goes somewhere interesting.

Here's hoping Youtube expands from streaming drops to drops from watching videos. I'd log in for that.
5 FULL HOURS would probably still result in my AFK farming, I work and want some of my me-time to be spent actually doing something engaging, but I'm just saying.

You have a fun and interactive stream, Travis. Just need patience and maybe collab with other dst streamers (host and raid) to get more followers and viewers. I think you need like 150-200 constant viewers before they will accept partnership, even if they say you need less. You're great for the DST community, just need time to grow the channel.

Thanks guys for all the support :) , ya I understand the battle for partnership I think it was just more or so misleading with the whole drop situation. However I am going to continue making great content in hopes that twitch sees me as a potential partner :) 

Archived