Make a use for Chlorine

Possibly some kind of station/refinery to use clay+chlorine (or some other better recipe) to make bleach stone.
Possibly some kind of station/medical item to use chlorine and pumped contaminated water to remove germs.  Now you have chlorinated water safe for cooking or irrigation, not usable for industrial stuff?

Bleach stone is produced by squeaky pufts. They could use a major buff, but otherwise are fine as an idea. No need to duplicate critter functionality with machinery.

You can use chlorine to decontaminate water by having a liquid storage building in chlorine atmosphere.

28 minutes ago, Vampyre_by said:

Bs. Oxylite is also produced by puffs but we already have the plant to produce it too. 

Oxylite refinery is a terrible idea that only happened because Klei refuses (doesn't know how?) to fix pufts, which have been terrible since puft princes were added. If anything, it's a good argument for my case - that adding workarounds is a bad idea, in this case because it means pufts are unlikely to be fixed, even as their products are needed.

Though I now realized I was actually wrong about one thing: pufts aren't fine, not just because of the numbers, but because keeping a stable of squeaky/dense pufts is a major pain due to how bad the puft egg chance mechanics are.

7 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

No need to duplicate critter functionality with machinery.

That could be interresting. Some players could love make a "Metropolis" base, fully runs by machines.

Or an ecologic base, with as less machines as possible. :)

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Oxylite refinery is a terrible idea that only happened because Klei refuses (doesn't know how?) to fix pufts,

IMO the oxylite refinery happened mostly to have an easier to set up oxylite production plant for rockets. Dense pufts even if they were 3 times as effective still take quite a while to breed and reach full efficiency. Now the oxylite plant can be build right away as long as you got enough oxygen and power.

A building making bleach stone would happen if we got a huge need for it. As for now it`s only use is the hand sanitizer that does the same thing a sink can do. I think we could explore more chlorine and bleachstone funcionallity. Water disinfection was suggested multiple times. Maybe bleachstone could be used to make some kind of higiene item passively killing germs on a dupe for a limited time.

With that we would need a guaranteed chorine geyser on the map. It would be nice to have one for the gassy moos as well.

Chlorine can be used to:

1) Grow balm lily, which can be fed to dreckos.

2) Grow gas grass, which can be fed to gassy moos.

3) Used in ore scrubber to remove germs from ores and bottles liquids.

4) Used to remove germs off anything that passes through it, such as duplicants or items on a conveyor rail.

5) To raise squeaky pufts

There are plenty of ways to use chlorine, though they may not be applicable to everyone’s playstyle. That does not mean more needs to be added.

6 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Chlorine can be used to:

1) Grow balm lily, which can be fed to dreckos.

2) Grow gas grass, which can be fed to gassy moos.

3) Used in ore scrubber to remove germs from ores and bottles liquids.

4) Used to remove germs off anything that passes through it, such as duplicants or items on a conveyor rail.

5) To raise squeaky pufts

There are plenty of ways to use chlorine, though they may not be applicable to everyone’s playstyle. That does not mean more needs to be added.

(6) Chlorine can clean liquids in pipes, you can have a water/ gas sterilization plant.

7 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Out of the ways you listed, only gas grass, squeaky pufts, and ore scrubber actually consume it, and only gas grass actually consumes significant quantities of it. And gas grass has no unique use, it's only good for energy at the point in game where you have solved all energy problems forever. There is no non-terrible sink for chlorine in the game. Not a single one.

All the "playstyle related" uses are actually "new player still learning to play the game" uses. People who disinfect electrolysis water, for example.

Balm lilies depend on difficulty - they're useless except as drecko food on difficulties other than hardest.

There isn't a single use of chlorine that isn't very heavily situational. A well managed base is very highly likely to have no use for chlorine.

There's also

(7) Use it for heat rejection. As a single-pass coolant, heat it up as hot as you can get it and dump it into space.

(8) Mining out swamp biomes. Fill the whole atmosphere with chlorine at minimum density of around 4 kg. Slime doesn't even offgas one puff at that pressure because the gas can fill the void at high enough pressure quickly enough.

Personally, I think chlorine would be far more interesting if it were actually hazardous. Inhalation would cause a bit of damage before the dupe started holding their breath. As chlorine gas IRL is also a lachrymator, a dupe passing through it would tear up and eventually go half-blind, losing orientation and getting confused about where they were headed. If they made it out alive, they'd be some recovery time while they wipe their face and tears go away.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:22 AM, Madbro said:

(6) Chlorine can clean liquids in pipes, you can have a water/ gas sterilization plant.

I need to try it in my next game play!
It works with any kind of pipe ???

I usually just dump germy water into my main water storage (with is build around a cool steam geiser), so my clean water is hot and have food poisoning. Its not a problem because all food is stored and cooked in a chlorinated enviroment. 
But, if i loop the incoming PWater around my chlorinated food storage.... i got germ free water! I'll try it in my new base (after the update)

Archived