Jump to content

1000 degree thermal sensor


Recommended Posts

The more I thought about raising the maximum thermal sensor temperature the more I thought about easy petroleum access.

=> If your sensor allows temperature of >400°C the oil refinery will use much value because you can build much easier thing to convert crude oil into petroleum

(So should there be some other tweaks going along with this change ?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

The more I thought about raising the maximum thermal sensor temperature the more I thought about easy petroleum access.

=> If your sensor allows temperature of >400°C the oil refinery will use much value because you can build much easier thing to convert crude oil into petroleum

(So should there be some other tweaks going along with this change ?)

The sensor alone isn't enough to make boiling crude oil simple, you still need a relatively complicated setup in order to manage it. The oil refinery works well as a stepping stone until you get to that point, and it's natural to eventually upgrade from one to a better solution, you don't need to forcibly keep players using it for longer. I don't think it needs any changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

A insulated room with an aquatuner a liquid vent for crude oil input and a liquid pump for petroleum ouput.

=> Not complicated but you need materials form outer space ;)

Yeah, you'd definitely need space materials for that. ;) I suppose complicated was the wrong word - you definitely need to be *progressed* in the game far enough that you've likely been using oil refineries for a while already.

Or, at least, I personally get into oil refineries before I start sending off rockets. :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can use the transition points of some materials to detect some temperatures like liquid sensor on copper for around 1k or whatever it is.

dont know if there is a convenient one for petroleum stuff but then you can use gas pressure to restrict incoming heat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

A insulated room with an aquatuner a liquid vent for crude oil input and a liquid pump for petroleum ouput.

=> Not complicated but you need materials form outer space ;)

And that's the point isn't it? You could just as well argue that there's no need for a metal refinery because you already have rock crushers that make refined metal.

If you already have space age materials, do you really have that much need for petroleum anymore? Temp sensors working up to 1000C makes a lot of things much simpler to make but it still takes a fair bit of work to set up an oil cooker without space materials, and petroleum you realistically only need large amounts of at the beginning of the space age before you have access to those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

dont know if there is a convenient one for petroleum stuff

No there is nothing in that range Super coolant is your friend (Did use the oni wiki to search for temperatures^^)

(PS: There is no use for melting copper but I use melting gold to turn of my thermium auqatuner ^^)

 

41 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

And that's the point isn't it? You could just as well argue that there's no need for a metal refinery because you already have rock crushers that make refined metal.

No, I am not against it. But there were previous changes to reduce the amount of power your able get out of boiling crude oil so maybe it could need some tweaks again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

No there is nothing in that range

(PS: There is no use for melting copper but I use melting gold to turn of my thermium auqatuner ^^)

 

No, I am not against it. But there were previous changes to reduce the amount of power your able get out of boiling crude oil so maybe it could need some tweaks again

Super-coolant turns to gas just above the oil-> petro level.

Makes it very easy to make. requiring only a tiny amount of super-coolant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lilalaunekuh said:

No, I am not against it. But there were previous changes to reduce the amount of power your able get out of boiling crude oil so maybe it could need some tweaks again

The problem before was that it was too easy, literally just digging through the crude oil to the magma, to get basically infinite power by boiling crude oil to natural gas directly. Cracking oil to petroleum was really never that broken, and still isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

A insulated room with an aquatuner a liquid vent for crude oil input and a liquid pump for petroleum ouput.

=> Not complicated but you need materials form outer space ;)

The non-space-material solution is a bit complicated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pre-space age materials right now it's easier to go straight from oil to sour gas->nat gas. As far as I know there is no easy way to only boil to petrol without constant observation or a finely tuned system that breaks when something changes. With the temp sensor change you can setup a system where you don't have to watch it. 

 

Once you get space materials you have easier sustainable methods to boil oil allowing setups that aren't centered around drawing heat from magma. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ishakaru said:

Once you get space materials you have easier sustainable methods to boil oil allowing setups that aren't centered around drawing heat from magma. 

To be fair, once you got space materials the game's basically over. There's really no challenges left at that point beyond seeing how many dupes you can possibly feed before your CPU goes into thermonuclear meltdown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

To be fair, once you got space materials the game's basically over. There's really no challenges left at that point beyond seeing how many dupes you can possibly feed before your CPU goes into thermonuclear meltdown.

so true :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...