History of Potato Cup

I think the meme started during early DST in a Fireside Chat stream in which the dev Seth Rosen told a story about the time he went camping and made a cup out of a potato. I'm not entirely sure if that is where it started but that's the earliest mention of the potato cup I can remember.

I also found an article about DST where Seth tells the story at the end.

"When I was twelve or so, I went to a wilderness survival type summer camp: at the end of the month, you got put out in the woods with limited supplies and were left to survive on your own for a night. That night, I learned that picking berries in the wild is a painfully slow process, making a fire with flint and steel is really hard, that hot dogs taste like salami when they haven't been cooked, and that potatoes are really gross and starchy when they haven't been cooked, but if you carve up the potato, it can make for an okay cup so you don't have to kneel with your face in a stream just to have a drink of water."

The article

If something I said was incorrect feel free to correct me. I'm not up to snuff with meme lore.

2 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

(not to mention the most rewarding when given to Pig King, but why would you ever do that?

I never understood what it was about the potato cup but I felt privileged when I found one and kept it.

16 hours ago, Bunions said:

Just as an FYI

We're adding potato cup functionality to Thirst next content update.

I'm gonna download it beacuse that looks good :p

Spoiler

And beacuse I gave you idea for water from Potato Cups ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

17 hours ago, Bunions said:

Just as an FYI

We're adding potato cup functionality to Thirst next content update.

i imagine a potato cup would be a one-use cup that instantly refills all your stats regardless of the water used.

Or it could be on the complete opposite of the spectrum, instantly draining your thirst meter :wilson_sneaky:

50 minutes ago, frane555 said:

Hide contents

And beacuse I gave you idea for water from Potato Cups ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Enjoy! Potato cup has been a planned feature for some time. We are however glad to give the ppl what they want!

We're actually looking for playtesters for balance and feel for next release too if there is an interest.

1 minute ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

i imagine a potato cup would be a one-use cup that instantly refills all your stats regardless of the water used.

Or it could be on the complete opposite of the spectrum, instantly draining your thirst meter :wilson_sneaky:

You're right about the magical nature of the mighty potato cup.

Sips are hard coded into our system however so instead we are experimenting with a multi use cup that you can both eat and drink, and of course still use as a trinket.

(We cannot go devaluing the worth of the potato cup, the DST economy is a fragile ecosystem.)

3 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Ikr, just look at the skin market (and then start crying)

Do I want the 15 dollar Wendy head or the 12 dollar Wigfrid head so hard to choose which limb to cut off.

3 hours ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

that's like asking whether you want to swallow that cyanide pill or drink that rat poison.

Well which one would you pick I do Cyanide pill because its instantaneous and I won't be nauseous.

Back on the topic of potato cups for a moment, we are playtesting the next iteration of Thirst, so potato cup action for one and all is coming soon!

If anyone is actually interested in playtesting as well, just PM me.

Archived