Styles of Play

I like playing DST and experiencing many different players.  Playing by myself isn't the most fun considering that I've survived a long time by myself, and I have my own play style.

Play Styles

- explorers: people who go out far and can generally map out a good portion of the game in a few days.  These are the people who will bring back the rare items.  Don't count on them to build up the base or feed you, since they spend most of their time away.

- builders: These are people who stay close to the base, and only explore so far (just enough to get a bulk of supplies).  If you need something common like grass/poop/wood, then you can count on them.  Don't rely on them to make a bunch of meals though.

- hunters/gatherers: These are the people who fight and hunt for food, or gather vegetables/berries.  They are the people who you can count on to have supplies for various dishes.  They are also the ones who make farms, traps, weapons/armor, etc.  They aren't known to get supplies to build up the base, nor do they get the super rare items.

I'm more of a base builder.  I generally grab a bunch of supplies that the base needs, and improve it while giving them to people.  I'm the go to for wood, grass, twigs, etc.  I also make the items for the season.  I generally don't actively hunt for food (only enough to feed myself until later on), nor do I explore very far (I map out the entire game on day 80-90), so I generally like playing with people who do.  It's fun collaborating with people and using your strengths to fill in for the weaknesses of others and vice versa.  The different styles of people playing is what makes this a fun game to enjoy for everyone.

What is your style?

I wish I COULD explore the map in only 12 days.  : P  Looking at these categories...I guess I'm mostly a hunter-gatherer!  Huh.  Who woulda thunk it.  Although I do also explore--like kineticdreamss and Sinister_Fang said, that's necessary to find out WHERE to get the materials FROM.  In fact, I got the wanderin' feet so much, I don't even turtle during winter/summer--I still go out and gather whatever is still unpicked/unwithered.  But I do also base-build when I get a chance. 

However, "when I get a chance" is the key phrase here, as it's probably the reason why my bases tend to be small and haphazard, even after 580 days+.  When I'm playing alone (which is most of the time), I have to do the gathering for materials AND building all by myself, and sometimes the gathering takes too much time.  So...

Yeah, now that I think about it--my best base so far, "Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave", was built by my being out of camp probably MOST of the time!  Playing as Wigfrid, I'd go out and kill things, pick things, remember where things were for later...while, on the occasions she was there, Kittydub played cook/base-sitter.  Although she definitely didn't do any of the decorating--all it takes is ONE look at _her_ awesome bases vs. mine to see that. : P  (I also tend to leave plant resources where they are if they're close by, which is why no huge berry farms or whatever.  I COULD do that myself, but...why put all your plants in one firetrap?)

...Notorious

I play alone but I'm still a builder. If I venture out, I don't feel comfortable and hope that nothing bad will happen. I hate fighting and have not defeated most bosses (only Bearger, Goose and Clopsi), although I'm over 500 days in my current world. Sometimes, when I'm away from my base for a while. I feel like I accomplished something. haha. One time I didn't know what to do during winter. I just wanted to lure Clopsi through the swamp, so I just sat there in my base waiting, browsing the internet, looking at the forum.

I guess I'm a builder / cook / gatherer. I like being at the base, doing things, going around collecting my farmables, cooking meals for people in bulk, making sure there are no lost trees spawning around areas. I use the world to fight for me usually, I'm quite bad at kiting in general, I even have a person come in now and again to refuel my swamp with new tentacles. I'm incredibly organized, everything has it's own place so I do get quite crabby when something is not where it's supposed to be, haha. 

Similar to what @Sinister_Fang said, I would say I'm mostly a  hunters/gatherers/explorer type.  

I often tend to not stick around in the a base (whether it be my own personal base on my solo server or a group base on a public server) for too long unless I'm crafting items, cooking food, building the base up, sorting stuff, etc. 

I tend to spend most of my time hunting for food or collecting various resources around the map, preferably stockpiling them when possible so I will always have resources when I need it (but despite my efforts I always tend to run out of wood...), like if I want to go caving for example.

Sadly, unlike many of the players here... I'm not to great when it comes to building fancy and beautiful looking bases, and most just turn out to be pretty small and more like your standard looking newbie camp unlike the ones in the "Showcase for tidy bases" thread. I still need to improve on that.

9 minutes ago, Silxer said:

Similar to what @Sinister_Fang said, I would say I'm mostly a  hunters/gatherers/explorer type.  

I often tend to not stick around in the a base (whether it be my own personal base on my solo server or a group base on a public server) for too long unless I'm crafting items, cooking food, building the base up, sorting stuff, etc. 

I tend to spend most of my time hunting for food or collecting various resources around the map, preferably stockpiling them when possible so I will always have resources when I need it (but despite my efforts I always tend to run out of wood...), like if I want to go caving for example.

Sadly, unlike many of the players here... I'm not to great when it comes to building fancy and beautiful looking bases, and most just turn out to be pretty small and more like your standard looking newbie camp unlike the ones in the "Showcase for tidy bases" thread. I still need to improve on that.

I hope it gives you some inspiration. : )

Ha!  I also suck at combat, and often use other mobs to take out mobs that are chasing me.  And I've rarely killed a giant any way but with traps or by accident.  Deerclops once spawned near me while I was right near the Dragonfly...and I think the Bearger has now taken out poor MGoosey TWICE on another server (apparently this one, exact, spot of meadow is prime hibernation AND nest-building real estate).  Later on I have a big trap field set up for the huge hound waves (the small ones I normally just fight myself) but if I'm not at home when the barking starts, anything that will distract them will do.  Spiders, treeguard, tentacles, pigs, tallbirds, bees...beefalo of course...

But hey, at least I _know_ I suck at combat.  That's probably the only reason I've survived so long!  : P

...Notorious

what really bothers me is the fact that i'm not the one who chooses it, instead ping says what do i do today, i don't have that bad internet, but it still affects me a lot (for good connection i explore and fight a lot [on the way or after done with map], for bad i barely come out of camp and just cook for company, also chatting [no need to play with bad ping unless good party, right?])

i really like playing with builders so i can hunt or\and explore, prepare for bosses\ruins (trying to get builders to go to adventure is not as fun though)

@CaptainChaotica fighting is not hard, even with multiple kinds of monsters at your back, but i do enjoy running away and trying to deal with them without direct fighting [when not ready or low on hp, bad ping or just don't want to] - being scared\chased is fun, making free for all party is even more [heck, i love swamp]

I switch too. Since I play wendo this is literally my thing

Builder: Nah, I just nom food at base

Hunter: When abigail has been summoned, I just destroy every spooder I see

Explorers: When I want to find a rock den/ run away from a boss.

I need to up my style.

I think I am the Home Mama of the game. I'll only explore if I start at Day 1- Day 10. If I join Day 11+ I am literally just chillin' at base, cooking food (and eating it) and making things.

NO ONE GIVES ME JOBS

8 hours ago, disies said:

I play alone but I'm still a builder. If I venture out, I don't feel comfortable and hope that nothing bad will happen. I hate fighting and have not defeated most bosses (only Bearger, Goose and Clopsi), although I'm over 500 days in my current world. Sometimes, when I'm away from my base for a while. I feel like I accomplished something. haha. One time I didn't know what to do during winter. I just wanted to lure Clopsi through the swamp, so I just sat there in my base waiting, browsing the internet, looking at the forum.

This.  I'm a builder and gatherer.  I generally explore for a few days to get the ideal area, a place where I don't have to go out too far to access things (one biome away from beefalo, in the biome of berries, and less than a day's walking from spiders/rocks/pigs).  After I get my ideal area, then I'm pretty much planted for the most part.  

Though my brother is an explorer and he can't stay in one spot forever.  He's constantly going out and about except during boss fights.

8 hours ago, Kittydub said:

I guess I'm a builder / cook / gatherer. I like being at the base, doing things, going around collecting my farmables, cooking meals for people in bulk, making sure there are no lost trees spawning around areas. I use the world to fight for me usually, I'm quite bad at kiting in general, I even have a person come in now and again to refuel my swamp with new tentacles. I'm incredibly organized, everything has it's own place so I do get quite crabby when something is not where it's supposed to be, haha. 

I generally gather berries for the most part, but when I catch spiders/frogs, then I catch them in bulk (like 12 spider meats when I get back along with 10 silk and 8 glands).  I generally see the meat in the icebox and cook various dishes with it.

8 hours ago, Silxer said:

You play like my brother.  He never has one big gigantic base, like myself, but he does build a lot of smaller bases in different parts of the world.

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Ha!  I also suck at combat, and often use other mobs to take out mobs that are chasing me.  And I've rarely killed a giant any way but with traps or by accident.  Deerclops once spawned near me while I was right near the Dragonfly...and I think the Bearger has now taken out poor MGoosey TWICE on another server (apparently this one, exact, spot of meadow is prime hibernation AND nest-building real estate).  Later on I have a big trap field set up for the huge hound waves (the small ones I normally just fight myself) but if I'm not at home when the barking starts, anything that will distract them will do.  Spiders, treeguard, tentacles, pigs, tallbirds, bees...beefalo of course...

But hey, at least I _know_ I suck at combat.  That's probably the only reason I've survived so long!  : P

...Notorious

For bosses, my brother and I put on a lot of armor and just tank them.  I suck at kiting, and I personally don't like traps.  

Though with hounds, I just lure them to spiders/tentacles/bees and hope they take them out.  I can't be bothered tanking like 20 hounds in the later rounds.

I'd like to base in an ideal spot that's reasonably close to things? but I usually end up plopping down my science machine and crockpot in a "Eh, good enough" spot because I'm sick and tired of eating little nibbles and want a filling meal, usually within the first ten days...

...THEN find out only a _few_ useful things are actually close to me, after more exploring.  By then, my base is way too built to move it.  : P  (I have been known to, as in that time in regular Don't Starve when poor Willow had to move her entire base TWICE right before winter, with an epic amount of trips to get everything and creepy nighttime journeys by lighter-light, but I'd rather not.)

That's not to say I pick terrible places.  Just not _ideal_.  Usually I end up near a few of the following, but not all:  forest, desert, spiders, savannah with lots of rabbit holes and grass, beefalo, pigs (and/or Pig King), swamp, meadow, frog ponds, spiders, rocks.  But far away from the others. When I plonk down my base on Day 9, I obviously haven't had enough time to properly explore...but at least I know I'm near _something_. 

Basically...what I usually end up with is building/crafting materials on one side and food source on another. For the just-starting-out days, that's what strikes me as the most necessary.  (shrug)

...also HOW, Mencken?!  'Cos let me tell you, man, I've sometimes gone multiple SEASONS without finding a single gear.  And getting even the _edge_ of the entire map explored in the first 8 days?  HOO, boy.  Even if I kept walking all night, every night, don't think I could do that.  Even with a walking cane, which I rarely find at all, let alone right away.  You must be MADE out of luck and imbued with the DNA of Sonic the Hedgehog, or SOMEthing.

...Notorious

You forgot two play styles!

The Leeches: These players spend their time at the base sitting by the firepit and occasionally digging through chests and iceboxes, taking anything that happens to be inside that looks cool to them. They are known to be extremely annoying and if found, should be removed properly.

The Spelunkers: These players are usually good at the game and prefer to spend their lives in the caves. They usually keep a base down in the caves, but some prefer to live a nomadic life. They are known to be carrying rare materials and, if they happen to belong to a base of surface dwellers, they can be extremely helpful.

17 minutes ago, cactusarms said:

The Spelunkers: These players are usually good at the game and prefer to spend their lives in the caves. They usually keep a base down in the caves, but some prefer to live a nomadic life. They are known to be carrying rare materials and, if they happen to belong to a base of surface dwellers, they can be extremely helpful.

That would be me then too. Although I tend to migrate to the surface during winter and spring due to how annoying those two seasons are in the caves.

7 minutes ago, Destros09 said:

Rain coats solve all problems,

rain coat + morning star = profit in caves

Unfortunately I'm a hoarder and need my backpack...

Although when I do stay in the caves during spring an umbrella and miner's hat is usually enough to get by.

Archived