Styles of Play

I like wandering and base building. The nomadic play style is fun but the characters I like to play benefit greatly from a well established base (Webber, Waxwell and Wolfie).

Whenever I try to base build I don't really wait until we/I am truly established so people generally get annoyed when my first priority is creating some nice flooring.  

I mean... why would you waste your resources on something that would greatly benefit your survival when you can make your base look nice?

1 hour ago, cactusarms said:

You forgot two play styles!

The Leeches: These players spend their time at the base sitting by the firepit and occasionally digging through chests and iceboxes, taking anything that happens to be inside that looks cool to them. They are known to be extremely annoying and if found, should be removed properly.

The Spelunkers: These players are usually good at the game and prefer to spend their lives in the caves. They usually keep a base down in the caves, but some prefer to live a nomadic life. They are known to be carrying rare materials and, if they happen to belong to a base of surface dwellers, they can be extremely helpful.

I would rope them in with explorers.  

1 hour ago, cactusarms said:

You forgot two play styles!

The Leeches: These players spend their time at the base sitting by the firepit and occasionally digging through chests and iceboxes, taking anything that happens to be inside that looks cool to them. They are known to be extremely annoying and if found, should be removed properly.

The Spelunkers: These players are usually good at the game and prefer to spend their lives in the caves. They usually keep a base down in the caves, but some prefer to live a nomadic life. They are known to be carrying rare materials and, if they happen to belong to a base of surface dwellers, they can be extremely helpful.

I would rope them in with explorers.  

explorer

I never seem to not find the ruins in like idk I can find it under a day and a half I can find the ruins Im not good at exploring above ground but I always find the ruins before every one else and then most likely die by something stuiped one I get there  its a cure I carry plz some one give me something better I NEED SOMETHING LIKE BASE BLINDING!!!

~Edit~

2 hours ago, cactusarms said:

guess I can be called that to just with out the cave base

Heheh.  I think what the original poster was going for was _basic_ categories that a whole lot of other stuff fits into.  Is the Badass Gamer exploring while they're being badass, or base-building?  And the Spelunker is kind of an underground flavour-pack of the other three. 

Leech, however, is a legit seperate one...although in a negative way.  If they're just draining resources without doing ANYthing to help, get them out of there!  Or perhaps...try to make them not a leech anymore.  Just for the halibut, suggest a reasonable-sounding thing they _could_ be doing, emphasising how less BORING that would be.  Believe it or not I've actually had this work:

"Um...let's see...we're totally out of wood, but we need meat too...while I go to the forest, could you check the rabbit traps?  They're just to the south." The other person acted a bit "What?  You actually asked ME to do something?" but when their next question was "Should I hang them up or put them in the fridge?" I knew I'd got them.  BWAHAHA!  Made you contribute!

Of course, some leechers are just total lazybutts who don't care (and/or don't find just sitting around boring--HOW?!), but if you ask nicely you can break _some_ of them out of it.  Also helps to have a ridiculously small playerbase, like mine--the more people there are around, the more "Somebody else will do it" becomes the attitude.  (Heck, on crowded servers, even REAL players can find themselves wondering "What exactly can I _do_, here?")  If you've got only three, four players tops, individuals are more likely to feel like they're part of a plucky team, all pullin' together!

And me?  I'm not so much fully nomadic, as that I make a base and then range far away from it on long exploring/hunter-gathering _trips_--leaving the base unkept for days on end, which is probably why it always ends up messy and undecorated.  But I do go for flooring fairly early on, if possible.  Here's the secret, though:

Don't make it--STEAL the flooring!  Find a statue area or the Pig King's place or a touchstone, whatever, and bring a pitchfork!  That way, you have a nice floor, and don't have to use your own resources.  Win-win!  :D

...Notorious

You forgot the HERMITS.

They tend to keep to themselves usually in a far off base of their own, alone, but occasionally interact with the main base to either help out provide assistance... living alone is less of a hassle for some...

Also, the Travelling Merchants...

These ones are a sub-category of explorers and are usually found when there are more than one "main" base in a map. They are usually the ones who get the good loot early on and horde them and occasionally yell out to the world that they will trade for stuff. They are also usually good enough at the game that they don't require much of the base amenities such as tents, crockpots, or the like usuallly sporting a piggyback or even a krampus sack on rare occasions... a fun addition to any server as if they were a smart AI that provides you with options...

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Don't make it--STEAL the flooring!  Find a statue area or the Pig King's place or a touchstone, whatever, and bring a pitchfork!  That way, you have a nice floor, and don't have to use your own resources 

I used to do this but now I generally try to leave the set pieces alone unless I am building around it. This is because some people don't like them disturbed and I would rather waste my own resources to respect them and the world. Plus it kind of gives it that sense that it is protected like a World Heritage Site. 

Yeah...I guess my taking the flooring (in addition to, it's just easier) kinda stems from my singleplayer days, where I saw it as kind of a symbolic nose-thumbing to Maxwell.  "You're gonna trap ME in this stupid world? Well, then, I'll just...mine your egotistical statues and steal your fancy carpet!  There!"  That said, nobody has yet complained about my floor-stealing in Together...if they _are_ bothered by it, they haven't...typed it out loud yet.  (shrug)

And haha!  Some of these types I have NEVER, I mean ever, seen.  One of my main Steam friends is a Lumberjack (and mains as Woodie, duh) but I've NEVER seen a Ranger or especially Buttertarian.  Arlesienne loves the swamp in general but isn't _obsessed_ with tentacles, and "deserter"...actually means somebody who runs away and leaves, abandons something.  (Like if you get court-martialled for being a deserter in the military.)  Desert _dweller_ maybe.  Hermit of the Wasteland.  I dunno, just spitballing here. 

And while I've never QUITE had a full-out cheater...there was this one kid who wanted me to download a character mod I would not touch with a ten-foot POLE. WAY the phrack overpowered, futuristic, wrong art style, name didn't begin with a W (yes, that last part _is_ necessary, dammit).  He eventually played on my server anyway but seemed out of sorts without his uber-weapons.

Although as somebody who makes a main base somewhere and, over time, multiple smaller bases in all different biomes, I don't think _where_ you live actually makes you a whole other player type.  It's more HOW you live.

I'd say hermits and travelling merchants _are_ legit new types or at least subtypes, though.

...Notorious

29 minutes ago, cactusarms said:

Tentacle Fanatics: Players who live in the swamp and constantly talk about how much they love tentacles.

The Sword Wielder: Players who love dark swords.

Some time ago that would have been totally me. Throw in there early explorer, then builder (with further exploring); plus now spelunker 24/7.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:02 PM, cactusarms said:

That's definitely me.

14 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I started on regular DS, though, so I'm more used to it than some.

...Notorious

Same lol..

Although my friend gifted me DST I didn't play it much so when I found it on the app store on my ipad I'm like.. "I gotta get this!"

Now I play DST regulary..

Archived