Decoding the ancient language

1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

I did do some weightings before which actually align up with your statement here.

Coincidence?

d8Mk69O.png

This makes sense provided the ones that are x'd are the ones someone pointed out could be red herrings.

top+7*bottom+2*right-4*left

28 minutes ago, FelixMeow said:

7hGjmvq.jpg

I've added the other worker's from the obelisk to this one. I found that there was good connection between the gem worker, carrot worker and hunter. The 2 thulecite workers on the left middle of the picture below the carrot worker was an interesting match also. 

It's conceivable that the 2 skulls represent 2 workers dying for whatever reason, but as we know from the code we need 6 items / 6 quantities, 2 dead workers out of 13 still make the solution possible. 

The question is now how to connect the remaining jigsaw pieces to the workers which are missing their jigsaws.

We can also deduce from people's combinations that the 6 items (in whatever order) include:

• Innocent creature (e.g. rabbit / butterfly)
  • Melee item (e.g. mooncaller staff / thulecite club)
  • Coloured gem
  • Thulecite 
  • Food item (e.g. carrot)
  • Last item unknown: JCeokyn.png

It's conceivable the jigsaw pieces are not numerical - perhaps they are also alphabets or letters or icons that might represent the worker's name and are hence unique to each worker... 

Any ideas of possible link of jigsaws to workers?

14 minutes ago, HamBatter said:

This makes sense provided the ones that are x'd are the ones someone pointed out could be red herrings.

top+7*bottom+2*right-4*left

Yeah, that was my criteria for the search space such that the x'd ones should be <=0 with the rest from 1-9.

1    -4    7    2 (TLBR)

1    -2    7    -2 also satisfies the criteria so it wasn't too amazing.

Assuming they're 1-13 then I do like the weights:  2    1    4    3

Since it's a 1->2->3->4 rotation around the block starting from L and going clockwise.

Downside is that the common '1' comes out to be '2'.

Weights for 1->13:

1    7    2    -5
2    1    4    3
2    7    1    -6
4    1    2    1

(By the way, I posted a thought here about the next puzzle step based on the language, the main mural, and the video lettering: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/77553-metheus-puzzle-part-3-spoilers/?page=3#comment-905853 )

49c6811c65e34a05903d25a17b6c20b7.png

...alright, mostly caught up on this craziness. I agree on the theories.
Going by this image, I'd say the ones that we definitely have are 4 (carrots), 3 (gems), and 1 (Pickaxe). Each being the closest, pronounced items to their outstretched hands.
Larger amount of notches indicates a smaller number...? Interesting.
I don't think value is determined entirely by side or position; if that were the case, they'd have used a single notch on somewhere to denote the Pickaxe.
Definitely seems to be some subtraction going on. Or something else entirely...power-based? Division?

...I'm not sure how to decode it, just mentioning what's seen.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, so excuse me if it's already been suggested.

I have a theory that the tiles with notches could be a numbering system, with positioning being core to decyphering. Some people threw it around, saying it was figured out and some bs, but no one has done it yet. They were suggesting it's additive and such.

So let's see what we have so far: There are 2 tiles with one notch, two notches, 3, 4 and 5. Only one with 6.

Now I don't have it all figured out, but there is definetely something behind the fact they are in pairs, mirrored/turned around in some way.

So I was looking at them as vertical and horizontal, which only applied really to the those up to 3 notches. Those with 4 and 5 didn't exactly "reflect" like that. And 6 doesn't even have another one. So I don't really find any sense in all that being a numerical system, as they are usually intuitive and this isn't. I mean, it could be, but this is definetely the wrong way of looking at it.

So knowing that it's not reflecting/rotating/whatever, it's not the number of notches either, because (I'm sure) has been tried numerous times as well. So if it's not either of those, what else could it be?

So I was thinking, it didn't represent exactly a "basic number system", but rather a bit complex one with positioning of the notches being core to its understanding. So, for example one notch on the top we know is for sure one, so we can assume numbers on the top are "singular". However what about the other sides? I'm sure the siding has something to do with it, since it's not "mirrored" in every case (as we already deduced). So maybe the sides represent something else, not "adding". My guess: subtract, multiply and divide.

However, it's not only that. Even if that is correct and we know the sides' meaning we still don't know about positioning! As you can see, some of the notches aren't centered. Sometimes it's to fit two notches on the side, sometimes not. So positioning of the notch may have a meaning that would stop us from even knowing if sides could mean anything (and vice versa). 

So probably, until someone gets a lucky hit that we can analyze or Klei give us some hints, we won't know.

I see you guys are doing very fast progress, wow.

I have to ask, do both player (Both 2 partners who worked on the puzzle) must be on the ruins near the sacred chest for it to work?

If not I can try going there and trying to put different stuff in the chest based on what you guys found and wrote on the google docs

While also using Adrian's idea for numbers here:

Guys we actually did it! We did it!

Here's mine inventory http://steamcommunity.com/id/mikel_johnson/inventory/#322330

Spoiler

metheus2.pngmetheus3.pngmetheus4.pngmetheus1.pngmetheus5.png

Can confirm 2 thing:

1). You need to be with your partner to chest to work.

Screenshot_14.png

metheus16.png

2).All symbols from Left up corner to right down: 1 Bird(WE used crow), 2 Nightmare fuel, 4 Thulecite, 1 Walking cane, 1 Orange gem, 9 berries.

metheus7.png

me and @__orangefinally made it. a dark smoke came out from the chest and every item put in disappeared.

the metheus page reset to the earliest state, like nothing happend.

we will tell our achievement later.

======later

the metheus puzzle is a story of tribute. the chest(klei) took everything you gave, and returns two new skin of walking cane and chest.

the number 'one' is well known.

the jigsaw with one notch on the top and one on bottom is 5.

the jigsaw with two on left, one on right, one on top ,one on bottom is 2.

so far we have those numbers solved(proved).

(i bold the letters. not klei. :)

无标题.png

无标题.png

无标题.png

51 minutes ago, MikelJohnson said:

Guys we actually did it! We did it!

Here's mine inventory http://steamcommunity.com/id/mikel_johnson/inventory/#322330

Reveal hidden contents

metheus2.pngmetheus3.pngmetheus4.pngmetheus1.pngmetheus5.png

Can confirm 3 thing:

Firstly this Notches translation is correct, secound :

you need to be with your partner to chest to work.

Screenshot_14.png

metheus16.png

All symbols from Left up corner to right down: 1 Bird(WE used crow), 2 Nightmare fuel, 4 Thulecite, 1 Walking cane, 1 Orange gem, 9 berries.

Finally tHOkYDE.pngnnDldjd.png those symbols are indeed walking cane and nightmare fuel. I'm sorry that everything is messy but i'm in big hurry.Will update later

Just checked your steam and you don't have them now ;/

I just tried using the numbers with the following symbols and it did not work out. We tried with berries and berry bushes, butterfly and butterfly wings. Nothing. So it's definetely either 4 or 8 that's wrong in that system, cuz 1 for damn sure is right and we only have 4 and 8 as others.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nikimoney said:

I just tried using the numbers with the following symbols and it did not work out. We tried with berries and berry bushes, butterfly and butterfly wings. Nothing. So it's definetely either 4 or 8 that's wrong in that system, cuz 1 for damn sure is right and we only have 4 and 8 as others.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Same issue here, we're doing everything proper, but we have an 8 and a 4 in ours too. And nothing is working

1 minute ago, Ashkain said:

Same issue here, we're doing everything proper, but we have an 8 and a 4 in ours too. And nothing is working

I just noticed @lumica said that the one that they said was 8 in the image, is actually a 5. About to try that.

15 minutes ago, Nikimoney said:

I just noticed @lumica said that the one that they said was 8 in the image, is actually a 5. About to try that.

But now I have another problem, I've already got a "5" on my code. And they don't work

Archived