Yet Another Art Thread

Sporb

Oh, this hasn't been archived yet, cool. So, I've been busy enough this semester to not have much time for drawing or even hanging around here much, but I guess I've built up a few drawings.

First, here's some improvements on stuff I've posted previously:

Spoiler

Improved face:

DYPe4ge.png

Improved colors:

5zhiEzn.png

And here's some new stuff, both from Assault Android Cactus, because I've been playing that game recently.

Shiitake dodging a mass of bullets with I-frames:

q7EFWoq.png

And a fandroid:

M7P3Qqn.png

I can make no promises of future activity!

Drew more Cornflakes.

Pre-accident:

eKaZYOt.png

Angry:

rSIelvY.png

Those are supposed to be bobby pin(s) in her hair by the way. I should probably give her something that's more easily identifiable as a hair clip, but I don't think I know enough about those to do a good job. 

Now that it's summer vacation, I'm hoping to draw more, hopefully with more variety. I'm trying to get better at drawing, like, humanoids and stuff.

11 hours ago, minespatch said:

You've really improved here. Love the colored lines. So where those unfinished pieces you were catching up on?

Nah, this is new stuff. Although I do have unfinished stuff i should probably either redraw or just complete...

Spoiler

M4bmqJU.png

Ack, that needs work.

Oh, and I realized I didn't explicitly introduce Cornflakes, so just in case it wasn't clear: she's my made-up android in the style of the characters from Assault Android Cactus.

Calliope, in some sort of western:

Av9aXJp.png

And more androids.

Holly, an actual character in the game:

edf4cPn.png

Getting dragged along by one of the most annoying robots.

Older thing I'm not sure I like:

Spoiler

xLZAvr8.png

Loosely based on the androids in the game, but has the completely made up mantis frame.

19 hours ago, minespatch said:

You really like that game. From what visuals you're presenting, the aesthetic of the game must really be attractive.

Yeah, it's been one of my favorite games, to the point where I'm reluctant to play other twin-stick shooters because I'm not sure what they'd do better. Hanging out in a Discord for it rekindled my interest semi-recently. Good to think I'm doing the game justice.

I've been working on a few things, but this is all I've finished so far.

6ZOIa9D.png

It's sorta a redraw of this thing I posted here last fall:

Spoiler

dQQsqdS.png

Better?

In other news, a much more talented artist drew fanart of a character I made up!

Spoiler

sOjCfSh.png

Drawn by NikiNazu and not me, of course.

So that's super cool.

I'm also starting to think that, as I'm trying to draw more frequently now, maybe a thread in the off-topic section of an unrelated forum is not the best place for displaying it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what IS the best place, so...

53 minutes ago, Sporb said:

I'm also starting to think that, as I'm trying to draw more frequently now, maybe a thread in the off-topic section of an unrelated forum is not the best place for displaying it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what IS the best place, so...

An art gallery would be ideal, but those cost a lot of money to build and maintain... Tumblr? DeviantArt? Perhaps LiveJournal? I don't know many considerable websites...

On 6/11/2017 at 10:02 AM, Mobbstar said:

An art gallery would be ideal, but those cost a lot of money to build and maintain... Tumblr? DeviantArt? Perhaps LiveJournal? I don't know many considerable websites...

Tumblr and DeviantArt were ones I was thinking of... I'll have to look at LiveJournal to see what it even is :p

On 6/11/2017 at 11:10 PM, DragonMage156 said:

Tumblr's not considerable. People favorite fanart and reblog sh*tposts. They don't appreciate original works at all :/ (unless it's your friends but even then).

Good to know.

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

Is Nikunazu someone from Twitter?

I think she has a twitter. Lemme find it...

Ah, here it is: https://twitter.com/NikiNazu

Uh... I expect to finish a drawing tomorrow.

Well, don't get your hopes up. :p It's just this.

9kJsO65.png

Another made-up android whom I've decided to call Lichen.

I think it took so long because I was trying a (somewhat) new pose, I was being indecisive about the elements I was designing, AND the rest is something well-defined that I haven't drawn before. Not sure if I like the result, but maybe I'll have more ideas for it later.

On 6/11/2017 at 10:10 PM, DragonMage156 said:

Tumblr's not considerable. People favorite fanart and reblog sh*tposts. They don't appreciate original works at all :/ (unless it's your friends but even then).

Well, not necessarily. I quit Deviant Art because not even my friends were favoriting my stuff anymore. It's going to take a lot of time and hard work to get noticed on any platform you choose to put your works on, especially if you don't make much fanart. Whether you like it or not, fanart gets much more attention than original works. I mean, think about how many of the artists you follow you only found because they made Don't Starve fanart.

You have to consider that Tumblr isn't just an art website as well. Not everyone on there is looking for art stuff. Deviant Art is purely an art website, but that doesn't mean it's much easier to get noticed on.

Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider or better define what I want out of this. Let's see... it would be nice to be able to point people to my art without sending them to the off-topic section of an unrelated forum. Pretty much anything would work for that I guess.

But it might also be cool to have more people to provide feedback, because as I'm improving I'm gonna reach a point (and maybe I'm already there) were the mistakes I'm making aren't immediately obvious to me. 

Of course, just having more people see my drawings and stuff in general would be nice, but I can't ever expect to be very popular.

I'll have to think about it.

Anyway, here's a drawing...

6zs6VsJ.png

4 hours ago, Sporb said:

mistakes I'm making aren't immediately obvious to me

Most viewers won't notice mistakes immediately either, at best they can say things like "Something's off about X", but even then the fault might be with Y instead.

For instance, the only thing I notice is that there's no shadow on the ground, but surely you know that and just didn't bother.

On the topic of shading, it might improve the art quality if you get one or two important light sources and keep the rest really dark (using a blending layer, for instance). Such light sources can be a candle, a spotlight, a visor, a... well, that gun thing.

12 hours ago, Sporb said:

Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider or better define what I want out of this. Let's see... it would be nice to be able to point people to my art without sending them to the off-topic section of an unrelated forum. Pretty much anything would work for that I guess.

But it might also be cool to have more people to provide feedback, because as I'm improving I'm gonna reach a point (and maybe I'm already there) were the mistakes I'm making aren't immediately obvious to me. 

Of course, just having more people see my drawings and stuff in general would be nice, but I can't ever expect to be very popular.

I'll have to think about it.

You don't have to stick to just one website; you could make an account on Tumblr AND Deviant Art. Heck, you could throw in Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else you want to too.

1 hour ago, MenaAthena said:

You don't have to stick to just one website; you could make an account on Tumblr AND Deviant Art. Heck, you could throw in Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else you want to too.

Yeah, that way you have to deal with all the problems! :p

On 6/16/2017 at 2:49 AM, Mobbstar said:

For instance, the only thing I notice is that there's no shadow on the ground, but surely you know that and just didn't bother.

Uuuhhh, yeah, totally! I definitely always remember that things cast shadows on the background and I certainly don't ever have to go back to drawings I thought I'd finished to add them!

But, seriously, I'm not sure I would have bothered for this simple background had I remembered.

On the topic of shading, it might improve the art quality if you get one or two important light sources and keep the rest really dark (using a blending layer, for instance). Such light sources can be a candle, a spotlight, a visor, a... well, that gun thing.

Hm, you mean for this drawing specifically? Darkening the whole thing and focusing on light sources shown in the drawing (rather than an undefined off-screen light source which is vaguely up and right) would make for a more atmospheric drawing and might solve issues with the background by keeping it largely obscured in shadow...

On 6/16/2017 at 10:35 AM, minespatch said:

You might want to finish the background. I like the effort you put on the main subject but if you could try to darken the line at the horizon and maybe add some saturated noise for the dirt, that can make the ground more lively.

I see... but that might be a bigger undertaking that you think. It's supposed to be set inside a space station or ship, so a complete background would have to be more than just, say, a horizon and dark clouds. I'd have to design a room, which was more than I bargained for with this drawing.

23 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

Yeah, that way you have to deal with all the problems! :p

Weeelll, my biggest problem is most likely gonna be that few people will know or care that I'm drawing things, so...

I'm starting small with a Tumblr. For now, I'm posting my old drawings there so that everything's in one place. There's some stuff that predates this thread!

http://sporbyeouch.tumblr.com/

Sorry I haven't posted any drawings in a while. I started drawing something that's wound up being a bigger project than I expected. Basically, I wanted to have 2 characters face each other but show both their expressions, and I decided the best way to do this was to split it between 2 panels.

Preview I guess:

Izn7aqa.png

Featuring Nikinazu's android, Mint. More of an explanation when it's done I guess.

And a sketchy in-progress version of the other panel. 

5kKIelF.png

Anything jump out as seriously wrong before I go to far with this?

Archived