Yet Another Art Thread

Sporb

8 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

Can't see panel 1.

Can't see it? Maybe it's too large or something? Here's a smaller version.

Sy5aeV9.png

Panel 2: Where do the arms go? Where are the hands? Shouldn't they be, in the current pose, visible between the legs?

Hm, I think you're right.

JqDSrvm.png

They're mostly, but not completely, hidden. I think I was hoping for plausible deniability on that one :p 

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Nice job on panel 1. As for panel 2, are you drawing organically or are you using a template?

Not sure I understand the question. I'm drawing stick figures to get a rough idea of the proportions and poses, then doing a rough sketch without much detail, and then finally and more carefully drawing the final lines.

That doesn't sound organic, but I'm reluctant to call it a template since I'm drawing everything from scratch.

While I'm posting, here's the progress I guess.

ucoZudp.png

Oops, I had this finished yesterday and neglected to post it.

Once again, this features NikiNazu's character Mint and my fandroid Cornflakes. I trust you can figure out who's who based on their color schemes. All inspired by the androids and world of Assault Android Cactus of course.

XBvIu7t.png

jKzPvB2.png

I think this is pretty self-explanatory. I know Mint worked as a barista and a little bit about her personality. When someone suggested that Mint and Cornflakes might be friends, this silly idea occurred to me. It wasn't supposed to turn into one of the biggest drawing projects I've done :?

On 6/24/2017 at 6:04 PM, minespatch said:

The sad thing is that I'm like both of them right now. Poor Cornflakes.:wilsondisappointed:

Well,  if Cornflakes can still manage to make a friend...

Good work on the environment! The time spent on it was well worth it.

You guys did ask for backgrounds, didn't you. :p

20 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I agree with Minespatch... and Mint, being an introvert XD

I liked the idea of both of them being socially awkward in different ways.

I don't have any drawing to post right now 'cause I was kinda taking it easy after that...

18 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

My precious...

You won't catch her singing about fish, though!

16 hours ago, minespatch said:

I'm curious, how many of her kind are there?

Hm... not very many I'd say, but there's more than just her. Canonically, the less human models of androids (Satyr frames) are feared and mistrusted a bit, if I remember correctly. So, I imagine this would be even worse for mantis frame androids, which would be even less human. I think they'd probably create a small number of mantis droids to test them out, and discontinue making them when they prove unpopular.

Anyway...

EuwDBIc.png

I wanted to draw Azalea again, because I was kinda disappointed/embarrassed by the way my first drawing of her turned out.

Original drawing, for reference:

Spoiler

xLZAvr8.png

I think I've succeeded in improving what I was hoping to improve.

20 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

And she eats a fish instead of flying a spaceship :p

I like both drawings but there's also a nice improvement.

Hey, spaceship electricians have to eat, too...

Well, what mainly bugged me from the first one was her face, which I don't think I did a good job on, and her pose, which looks unnatural and boring because her bug abdomen is parallel to the ground and her human torso is perpendicular to it. The face benefited just from drawing it from scratch again, and I think just inclining her abdomen at an angle looks cooler and is more like an actual praying mantis.

I messed with her design, too, but that's a bunch of smaller things.

I got sick and couldn't draw for a few days! Anyway, did the lighting a bit differently on this one. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up?

ZL8mNen.png

Hm, this image is actually huge so let me know if that causes trouble somehow.

What? One of the androids that's actually in the game? Yes, it's Starch, playing operation with one of the boss robots after killing him, as she has threatened to do.

That's really, really good looking! The focus control and stuff work out nicely too. I tried really hard finding things to criticise O.o

1. The oil splatters should be bigger and maybe more connected towards the source.
  2. The light needs to be smoothened to get rid of the ripples (those comes naturally when using basic brushes), for example using a blur brush.

21 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

That's really, really good looking! The focus control and stuff work out nicely too. I tried really hard finding things to criticise O.o

1. The oil splatters should be bigger and maybe more connected towards the source.
  2. The light needs to be smoothened to get rid of the ripples (those comes naturally when using basic brushes), for example using a blur brush.

Hm, I don't think I'm gonna bother messing with the fluid now, not worth it. But I should probably do something about 2, because that's gonna keep being an issue in other drawings. I wasn't sure how noticeable it would be.

Oh, and maybe I should mention what specifically I did differently for the lighting. I just added a really dark layer clipped to the color layer and then selectively erased bits of it for higher-contrast lighting. I'm also using the "multiply" blending option because apparently that looks nice for shading layers even though I'm not sure what it does.

And, uh, thanks guys! :)

2 hours ago, Sporb said:

I'm also using the "multiply" blending option because apparently that looks nice for shading layers even though I'm not sure what it does.

Multiply is a rather simple blending option, but very useful indeed. As you noticed, white becomes "transparent" while black remains. Multiplying colours is a bit like mixing watercolours, but usually there's better options for blending colours, depending on the programme you use...

"Divide" is like multiply, but black becomes transparent and white remains. "Add" and "Subtract" are weirder counterparts to Divide and Multiply. It's best if you try them out, I recommend trying "Add" for shiny reflections.

If you keep trying out different blend modes, you might find some useful ones for certain situations. The ones I just said are all you really need to know, though, I think.

Got away with just using the Gaussian blur filter on most of the layers where I used a large watercolor brush. One of them I had to manually do with the blur tool because it is supposed to have some sharp edges on the shadow.

The new and improved version.

ghtQjt7.png

Hopefully now I'll have time to draw more now that I'm much less sick and it isn't a holiday.

Or maybe I'll just wind up playing more Hollow Knight :?

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

The piece is cleaned up a tad more here. Subtle but it's there.

it's more obvious if you look at the full size image, so it's probably still important that I did it.

12 hours ago, Sporb said:

Hopefully now I'll have time to draw more now that I'm much less sick and it isn't a holiday.

Or maybe I'll just wind up playing more Hollow Knight :?

I compromised. Here's a quick drawing.

vPty7Lj.png

Archived