124 replies to this topic

#1 SethR

SethR
  • Meh

• 524 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

POPULAR

Our First Playtest

As I mentioned in my last post, we had our first office-wide playtest of Don’t Starve Together on Friday, July 4. Okay, that’s not entirely accurate: we’d done one a few months ago as a proof-of-concept. This was our first playtest after Don’t Starve Together had fully gone into development. It was the first time we were playing something that wasn’t simply Don’t Starve synced across a network with automatic respawning (and a bunch of problematic stuff ripped out). The first time we were truly playing Don’t Starve Together. Approximately 15 people in the office were able to spare some time to participate in the playtest, which lasted 30 minutes or so. Overall, it went well. Inevitably, we discovered a handful of bugs that we’ll have to address. None of the bugs were showstoppers, though: people were able to play and we learned a lot about what was working well and what we would need to iterate on. More on all of that below. As before, I'm going to spoiler tag the meaty (i.e. anything besides the intro and closing remarks) sections, because I apparently have no idea what brevity is.

Some Footage

Spoiler

On Playtesting Don't Starve Together

Spoiler

The Playtest: What Happened Back There?

Spoiler

The Playtest: Takeaways

Spoiler

Next Steps

I’ll be addressing the issues I discussed above. This week, an artist joined the team and she’s off to the races making unique ghosts for the different characters, so we can all stop flying around as Abigail. The rest of the team is continuing to make the under-the-hood stuff work more robustly and completely.

Yesterday, the whole team sat down and had a discussion about PAX, which starts on August 29. We’ve got plenty of work to do before we will have a build that we can demo at the show. We made a list of the tasks that need to get finished in order to get to that build. We looked at the list and all agreed that it seemed doable. So now we’re all working with that goal in mind and prioritizing our work accordingly. We’re not sure we’ll get there, but it’s always useful to have something concrete to work towards. I’ll let everyone know for certain once we know ourselves if we will in fact be showing Don’t Starve Together at PAX. In the event that we do manage to get the build ready for PAX, please understand that that doesn’t mean it’s ready to go out into the wild: the alpha will come after PAX, regardless.

One last thing: the smaller playtest that I mentioned earlier in the post is planned for Thursday, July 17. I’ll try to get some footage and impressions from that playtest as well. But, fair warning, outside of that, there probably won’t be much in the way of these fireside chats until after PAX: we’ve got lots to do, I’ll be in Israel for a couple weeks on vacation, and these posts do take a fair amount of time, so I’d rather spend my time making my best effort to get us to a PAX build. That’s all for now, thanks for reading! As always, keep the discussion coming!

#2 jbeetle

jbeetle
  • Señor Member

• 2943 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

POPULAR

What a lovely update to come home to after an 8hr workday.
My Let's Play Youtube Channel
Immersion is not broken by unrealistic mechanics - it's broken by inconsistent mechanics that violate expectations.
Click Here to see a cute little Chester I made give it a thumbs up if you like

#3 The Letter W

The Letter W
  • Smo-o-o-oth

• 1261 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I laughed harder than I should have at the constant item pick up sound. Exciting though! 

[ vibrates ]

#4 the truthseeker

the truthseeker
  • I believe in Chester Day

• 3161 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Thank you for such a lovely (and patriotic) update! if we don't hear from you before then, have a great trip to Israel! 

I AM,
--the truthseeker

I Believe in Chester Day

#5 Flare2V

Flare2V

• 170 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

IT'S GLORIOUS
KEEP IT UP KLEI

#6 Miss

Miss

• 1087 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Looking good so far :D Can't wait

Read my Don't Starve comic on the forums! - Page 26 is out!
Posted Image

#7 Maximum124

Maximum124
  • Dreamer

• 1737 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

POPULAR

unique ghosts for the different characters

tumblr_n8ix4cGzS71r5z40vo3_400.png

I cant wait

Please, use the pronouns they/them/theirs when referring to me.
My art thread.

#8 Lord_Battal

Lord_Battal
  • The Debul

• 3823 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Good luck with development and welcome to the new member on the team!  Even though it's not really my business to be welcoming Klei employees...:p

Now be a good little human, or I might have to set you on fire.

Avatar by Willette. Check out her art thread, or you'll discover just how flammable you really are.

Contributer to Up and Away, currently the largest mod ever released for DS. Learn more here.

#9 Pecival

Pecival

• 1326 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

So they found a way to put the ghost concept into play.

"Hello there. I want to be your friend. Don't be shy."

Posted Image

Honorary Member of the Court of Tailors

LIST OF ENEMIES: Mr_E_Fox and Strangerdanger101 For Disrespecting Glommers, Tamazacat For Treason and Plauging Of The Bacon

#10 StayUpThere

StayUpThere

• 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yes....Yes..YES!!!!!

#11 Gumhoy

Gumhoy

• 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

HEH. HEH. HEH.

IM SO GIDDY about playing multiplayer my social functions are becoming abnormal!

HEH!  :snarlingspider: 

P.S. I also want to be a ghost. That looks more fun than being alive.

#12 jbeetle

jbeetle
  • Señor Member

• 2943 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I cant wait

They totally should just be big caricature heads!
My Let's Play Youtube Channel
Immersion is not broken by unrealistic mechanics - it's broken by inconsistent mechanics that violate expectations.
Click Here to see a cute little Chester I made give it a thumbs up if you like

#13 Ridley

Ridley
  • Tumbleweed Tuner

• 1283 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Looks good. I fear the ranged weapons though, because the ice wand + gunpowder trick is easy and effective.

In my PvP experience (Nether),  the chat system was the best part. Though running into another player was terrible because I was always a target. Maybe DST can change my opinion about the ridiculous player "interaction" that those other games have. Getting killed for little reason and starting ALL OVER just kills my enjoyment in the game. 

Quit letting me show up as the recent poster for half of the front page threads!

#14 AmaLee

AmaLee

• 42 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Ah, this looks great already! I'm digging the revival system, it's nice to see the variety thrown in away from just bringing up a revival object .w.

Don't Starve and doodling? Why, we'll get along just fine

Posted Image

#15 RalphKastro

RalphKastro

• 295 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

why is this not pinned?

And zat is zee Captein's word, and zee Captein's word is zee law
yes, I hate the Old Bell and Buzzards and would rather have only more SP content and balancing intead of MP(caves?Krampus?Starvation?).
go ahead, judge me.

#16 The Letter W

The Letter W
  • Smo-o-o-oth

• 1261 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Just wondering, as people were talking about it in the above posts, will each character have their own Ghost? Or do you have to guess who it is and hope you're reviving the right person (in the sense of say, 2v2) I know it's more of a cosmetic thing but I am curious. 

Edit: Ignore me I have no reading comprehension 6/7 days a week.

Edited by The Letter W, 11 July 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#17 the truthseeker

the truthseeker
  • I believe in Chester Day

• 3161 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

I cant wait

When did Jay Leno become a DST character? :D

I AM,
--the truthseeker

I Believe in Chester Day

#18 Crapplejacks

Crapplejacks

• 190 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

I heart just stopped *thumps chest*

There we go. All better. You guys nearly killed me with your awesomeness.

Also try our other products, Dingleberry Crunch, and Funny Lunches With Goats!
Mmmm...I don't mind the taste!
I am not a Texan Equus Caballus. Just a breakfast cereal

#19 RalphKastro

RalphKastro

• 295 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thank you for such a lovely (and patriotic) update! if we don't hear from you before then, have a great trip to Israel! 

isn't Klei canadian?

And zat is zee Captein's word, and zee Captein's word is zee law
yes, I hate the Old Bell and Buzzards and would rather have only more SP content and balancing intead of MP(caves?Krampus?Starvation?).
go ahead, judge me.

#20 The Letter W

The Letter W
  • Smo-o-o-oth

• 1261 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

isn't Klei canadian?

Yeah they are but I don't know why he wouldn't be able to go to Israel if he was Canadian. 

You cannot contain Canadians, we'll apologize our way right out the front door. 

Reply to this topic