DLC Beta - Come and get it!

Bryce

• Developer

As most of you already know (thanks to a certain unnamed admin revealing all of our plans last week), we're planning on releasing the "forums beta" pretty soon here. I'm going to outline what you can expect from the beta in this phase and what we want from you.

What's in it?

At this stage, there is a selection of content that we've completed. That will include a full year of seasons (fall, winter, spring, summer), two new biomes, and some creatures/ resources/ items to populate them. You'll also have access to a selection of new craftable items.

What's not in it?

Well, the giants for one. You also won't see the new characters, and there are a few more creatures that aren't finished yet. We also haven't spent much time balancing or polishing the new content. It'll be rough around the edges and quite likely much too easy in parts and way too difficult in others.

Who is this for?

Do you like playing games before they're finished? Do you like providing feedback on mechanics and game play balance so you can see an impact on the final product? Do you not mind running into bugs, difficulties and other issues? Then this stage is for you. Don't like the sound of that? Wait it out! 

On a side note, we've been developing this internally on windows machines, so it's possible that those of you running mac or linux will have a higher number of issues. 

Why are we doing this?

The thing is - Don't Starve takes a long time to play. We could play for months upon months and we still wouldn't even come close to touching the amount of testing we'll get from opening this up to the community. We need you!

What do we want from you?

• Feedback on design.
    • If you feel a mechanic is out of place or could be improved, we want to hear it.
  • Feedback on balance.
    • The new systems and creatures almost all have "starter" balancing numbers based off of certain assumptions or old systems instead of actual game play. Let us know dials you think need tweaking so we can tweak those dials.
  • Bug reports!
    • We fix bugs as we see them but I know they haven't all been slain.
  • Your ideas.
    • Feeling inspired? Let us know. It's not likely that we would straight up implement your idea directly - though that is possible - but your ideas are great. They let us see what type of content you want and we often shape our development around those ideas.

NOTE: You MUST own Don't Starve in Steam to play the DLC at this time. If you purchase now and do not own Don't Starve in steam you will be able to play later once the standalone version is available. You will not be able to play the DLC in the chrome version at any point.

For more information on the beta, check out our FAQ at: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31922-reign-of-giants-beta-faq/

During this phase of beta, it will only be playable in steam, but you must purchase through the humble widget above. If you were to buy the DLC, you would need Don't Starve in steam as well, so you would not be able to play if you don't have the game in steam.

However, if you were to buy now, then later when it is available in the standalone version, you will be able to play it once available.

5r4s7up90U PLIIJhl;2o8nh .oslmk.jslnmsadko;l.jhwaoidk,jksanfikuAHWJDNu M<KIWAHDNUMJHDJOLI<KSJADNW<AI>HDL

OOOOOOOOH MMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY LOOOORRRRRRDDD ABOOOOOVVVEE

Hwere's the Humble Widget and how do I get it?

Shhhhhh. Just enjoy the hype high. The widget should be on JoeW's post shouldn't it?

How long does it normally take for Paypal to process a non-account order?  I opted to pay via credit/debit but declined making an account (as it said that was optional).  It's been about half an hour and I haven't yet received an email or seen it posted to my card  :(

During this phase of beta, it will only be playable in steam, but you must purchase through the humble widget above. If you were to buy the DLC, you would need Don't Starve in steam as well, so you would not be able to play if you don't have the game in steam.

However, if you were to buy now, then later when it is available in the standalone version, you will be able to play it once available.

Loving it so far

Archived