Recommended Posts

Donke60    2,787

@minespatch

anyway these are pretty great for crrisim the colored woodie picture could of really used better lighting it is hard to look at atleast for me for extended periods GJ dude

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293
1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

@minespatch

anyway these are pretty great for crrisim the colored woodie picture could of really used better lighting it is hard to look at atleast for me for extended periods GJ dude

You're right of course. Colour is definitely the thing I struggle the most with-- thanks for the critique!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    36,367

Looking at these, you have the great startings of what you want. If you really want to get different character designs, draw a character, trace the character on another paper/layer, and then fill it with black to see if the silhouette makes the character recognizable or stand on his own. The great thing about the Don't starve style is how clear the characters appear even in silhouettes. Though even with complex human shapes, you can make the character stand out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293
2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Looking at these, you have the great startings of what you want. If you really want to get different character designs, draw a character, trace the character on another paper/layer, and then fill it with black to see if the silhouette makes the character recognizable or stand on his own. The great thing about the Don't starve style is how clear the characters appear even in silhouettes. Though even with complex human shapes, you can make the character stand out.

I'm familiar with character silhouettes--it's one of the most oft-repeated tips on character design. Thanks, though, I frequently forget it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293

Some Willow sketches. I'd like to do more polished versions of the Guest of Honour portraits sometime. The next one is the assumption that her skirt has pockets.

20180530_101330.jpg

20180530_101458.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    36,367

Sideways whistle fits Willow a lot. IF you look at her sprite compared to characters like Wigfrid, Wickerbottom, and Wendy, she has a way more uncomfortable mouth than the others. Like she's sucking on a lemon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gallusvarius    298
On 5/28/2018 at 12:26 PM, ResettePlayer said:

 

IMG_20180528_0001colour.jpg

IMG_20180528_0001.jpg

This is a really nice Woodie here, I love the atmosphere and the way you managed to inc incorporate both Them, and his signature profession, Trees. 
There's never enough appreciation for Woodie, so I think I appreciate the mere existence of this piece for sure. 

On 5/28/2018 at 12:26 PM, ResettePlayer said:

20180524_115926.jpg

20180525_093947.jpg

Heh, I also like this interpreation of Wolfgang... It's amusing and yet also seems accurate... XD

On 5/28/2018 at 12:58 PM, ResettePlayer said:

 

20180525_093817.jpg

20180525_094554.jpg

More woodie, yes, yes, good... 
I think this is probably one of my favorite interpretations of him I've ever seen, seriously.
Would you ever do a werebeaver?

On 5/28/2018 at 12:26 PM, ResettePlayer said:

 

20180524_120030.jpg

Thinking about skins. In this case, Guest of Honour.

20180524_120122.jpg

I like how you did his guest of honor too. 

I saw you also tried to help his shadow-skin out a little. Agreeably, his could use some attention... 
Many of the others theme or lean towards some air of dapperness (Willow, Wilson, and especially Wes and Wendy) but there are others that do not, such as Wolfgang, Webber and Wigfrid, who's personalities aren't the most compatible with being 'dapper.'  Woodie seems less snobby, or directly snobby, as Maxwell or Wendy could potentially be in a shadow skin, so he probably needs something that fits him, like Webber's aggressive spider-y-hiss fits him. 

Setting can make a big difference. Maybe he just needs to look like a something from a horror movie in the woods.  His pose and expression in the portrait is still more sly than that of Wigfrid, Webber and Wolfgang - All of which three are much more 'bold' in pose, or forward and aggressive. 

His might be more of a, 'I've got my eye on you,' kind of thing? But I could be wrong, you probably have a better feel for the character than I do. As seems clearly visible by what you've drawn for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293

@gallusvarius Thanks so much for the compliments, Gallus! I'm glad you're enjoying my art.

In regards the Woodie's shadow skin, yeah, it's rather underwhelming. It's basically what he normally wears, but black this time. I really like the pose in the portrait--like you said, there's the "I've got my eye on you" and he's holding Lucy in a way that communicates how comfortable he is with this tool/weapon. He's not relishing the power like most of the other characters or showing off at all... implying that he's the sneaky sort. I don't really know where I'm going with this.

Maybe the designers were trying to keep the outfit "True to Woodie" in some respect. He doesn't really have any vanity, and he'd probably still go outside and cut trees (y'know, WORK) if he had shadow powers. So they dressed him in a practical outfit with minimal nonsense. Roll down his sleeves, put heels on his shoes, there ya go. I still feel like they could have added a coat or something just to play around with the shapes a little.

I dunno. Maybe the deadline was approaching and they just animated what they had. This quote I pulled off the wiki sums up that rant of mine pretty well: "The shadow realm is pretty much the same as here, just darker."

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Skins#The_Triumphant

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vixenine    544

I love how you draw Woodie. Your style captures every inch of manliness in him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gallusvarius    298
23 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

In regards the Woodie's shadow skin, yeah, it's rather underwhelming. It's basically what he normally wears, but black this time. I really like the pose in the portrait--like you said, there's the "I've got my eye on you" and he's holding Lucy in a way that communicates how comfortable he is with this tool/weapon. He's not relishing the power like most of the other characters or showing off at all... implying that he's the sneaky sort. I don't really know where I'm going with this.

I agree, he's got something sly.  I think Sly is the best word I have for it... Like, Wilson is dapper but far from sly, more showy.  Woodie, fitting to his personality, is just kind of... That one who watches you from the shadows between the trees... Unknown, so his pose and expression, and Lucy, are all excellent for his portrait... He just needs better clothing...
Perhaps not anything 'dapper' like the others, something that makes transversing dark forests easier. Fancy clothing would get snagged on tree-branches. 
 

 

23 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Maybe the designers were trying to keep the outfit "True to Woodie" in some respect. He doesn't really have any vanity, and he'd probably still go outside and cut trees (y'know, WORK) if he had shadow powers. So they dressed him in a practical outfit with minimal nonsense. Roll down his sleeves, put heels on his shoes, there ya go. I still feel like they could have added a coat or something just to play around with the shapes a little.

I agree with this...   It could depend on the coat, Maxwell's fancy coats merely wouldn't fit him. But a jacket maybe, maybe leather, something practical. Leather is very good at not getting snagged on trees and being protective, but it need not be put together in a stereotypical form of leather. Usually when leather is mentioned people think 'Biker,' but we don't need to fashion it in that way. 
Maybe a leather vest would fit him?

Maybe a leather vest that looks (Vaguely) like this or something.

But these are merely ideas. More thought would have to be given to it... 

Hey. Why doesn't Lucy get a shadow skin change? 
Someone should give her warpaint for her forge skin. I can imagine Woodie painting her, considering how he regards her as human just as much, it seems. I guess it'll be my job to do that, since I'm mentioning it.
My sister theorized that in forge, the reason Lucy got instant-aggro was because she'd make sassy insults at the beasts when she struck them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293
1 hour ago, vixenine said:

I love how you draw Woodie. Your style captures every inch of manliness in him.

Haha, thank you! I feel like people sometimes forget that this guy cuts trees 365 times a day. He's going to be muscular.

@gallusvarius

I was originally thinking of giving him something warm, like a shearling coat. There are a few issues with that though. 1) it might look too much like his Guest of Honour outfit; 2) I'm pretty sure shearling coats are associated with pilots, especially fighter pilots (i.e. not lumberjacks); 3) I don't know if these coats existed before WWII or not. So, probably not that type of jacket

Something like this might also work. It looks a bit too modern, though. I also googled "early 20th century lumberjack" and what coats I did find were pretty normal. I could play around with the design a bit; stretch this, add twisted shadow bit to that... 3477e62ad62dede045cd0d5d16f191fb.jpeg

I guess I could also give him a hat. Well, maybe not, that would change the silhouette too much.05-601.jpg

The vest could work, I guess. He wouldn't have the red suspenders as an accent, but he wouldn't have that with a coat anyway. 

I wouldn't know how to change Lucy to look adequately evil without making her a different type of axe. A polished black handle and a spike on the back is all I can think of. Fire axe style.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gallusvarius    298
5 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

I was originally thinking of giving him something warm, like a shearling coat. There are a few issues with that though. 1) it might look too much like his Guest of Honour outfit; 2) I'm pretty sure shearling coats are associated with pilots, especially fighter pilots (i.e. not lumberjacks); 3) I don't know if these coats existed before WWII or not. So, probably not that type of jacket

This is some nice research here. 
I agree, it probably looks a little too close to his Guest of Honor. Maybe if one likes the design, it can be tweaked to vaguely resemble a shearing coat, though, to still include it.

 

 

5 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Something like this might also work. It looks a bit too modern, though. I also googled "early 20th century lumberjack" and what coats I did find were pretty normal. I could play around with the design a bit; stretch this, add twisted shadow bit to that... 3477e62ad62dede045cd0d5d16f191fb.jpeg

I guess I could also give him a hat. Well, maybe not, that would change the silhouette too much.05-601.jpg

The coat image linked there does look pretty good... Yeah, we'd want to add twisted shadow bits to any design, of course. 

These lumberjacks are working in the cold, that's probably why they're all wearing hats, since hats do an excellent job of trapping body warmth. The game already has beefalo hats and winter hats for us to wear though, so we needn't worry to make sure he has a hat for warmth... But the clothing is definitely considerable. 
In his normal outfit he's got some white boots, and I notice that these guys have boots too. Then, suddenly, Woodie's shadow skin... Has weird non-boots? Heels don't seem the best for being out in the woods... But these are only my own thoughts. I can agree that he could have a more thoughtful shadow-skin but I haven't ever thought (Until now) what a good idea for a better one would be, so I'm not set in any of my ideas. I like the stuff your presenting here, though, I think they seem like good ideas... 

I know the coats so far would be best for cold weather and so would these lumberjacks in the pictures, and Woodie does have natural in-game insulation (In DST) for the cold... So perhaps dressing him for the cold is the way to go.  Though the shadow-skin seems 'weather-neutral,' or universal to all seasons... That's why I thought about the vest, since it might not be as hot in the summer as a full-on coat, but that's just me. I mean, his Guest of Honor looks like he might get pretty sweaty in the summer, wearing that coat and a beard combined, so being 'seasonally-universal' may be a silly thing to consider when other skins aren't as such. 

 

 

5 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

The vest could work, I guess. He wouldn't have the red suspenders as an accent, but he wouldn't have that with a coat anyway. 

I wouldn't know how to change Lucy to look adequately evil without making her a different type of axe. A polished black handle and a spike on the back is all I can think of. Fire axe style.

Yeah, you'd probably want to find a new way to incorporate red either way... 

Hehe. Interesting idea there. I was mentioning Lucy because I thought it being amusing. 
It could be difficult to change the type of axe, really, but the spike at the back is a pretty interesting idea...
I was originally thinking outside decor, so things like smearing with ash or berry paint, Or leather straps bound about the handle for better grip in rain, ect, but that's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of too. 
A shred of red cloth tied at her handle could make for a 'shadow skin,' heh. 
I'm gonna go draw some silly ideas for Lucy skins for the fun of it, myself. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293

@gallusvarius  One of the primary reasons I was thinking about coats is because of Woodie's Canadian roots. This was second only to AESTHETICS. 

Also, thank you for reminding me that hats are intended to be switched around and stuff. I suppose one could still work, but having a non-functional hat as part of a skin seems, I dunno, not a smart design choice. Even if skins have nothing to do with gameplay whatsoever, perhaps the hats are just not to be touched.

Boots. I think that it's okay to sacrifice some functionality in favour of edginess in the shadow skin. I mean, look at every other character. It's supposed to be over the top. So I'll keep his fancy heeled black shoes.

Red accents. I thought briefly about giving him a scarf, but Wes already has one. And Wes' shadow skin is absolute perfection that needn't be touched, so scarves (especially red ones) are off limits. I guess I could give the coat red trim or lining. Possibly red gloves, but Winona has those. If I violate the sacred hat law, the hat could have a red band or something. At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards the coat trim. I suppose I could invert it--red coat with black trim--but that's too much red area when the outfit is supposed to be 90% black. Huh. This is proving to be difficult.

Maybe the scarf can work if Woodie wears it differently from Wes. Wes' is more like a bandanna, so if Woodie wears it differently (like this or this or this), it could probably work.

Something I'd like to do is draw the redesign like Woodie's sprite, to see if it could potentially work ingame. That should be a good test for whatever we come up with.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gallusvarius    298
1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

One of the primary reasons I was thinking about coats is because of Woodie's Canadian roots. This was second only to AESTHETICS. 

Ah, I see. That does make sense. 
 

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Also, thank you for reminding me that hats are intended to be switched around and stuff. I suppose one could still work, but having a non-functional hat as part of a skin seems, I dunno, not a smart design choice. Even if skins have nothing to do with gameplay whatsoever, perhaps the hats are just not to be touched.

I would agree with this as well. 
 

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Boots. I think that it's okay to sacrifice some functionality in favour of edginess in the shadow skin. I mean, look at every other character. It's supposed to be over the top. So I'll keep his fancy heeled black shoes.

Makes sense. 
 

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Red accents. I thought briefly about giving him a scarf, but Wes already has one. And Wes' shadow skin is absolute perfection that needn't be touched, so scarves (especially red ones) are off limits. I guess I could give the coat red trim or lining. Possibly red gloves, but Winona has those. If I violate the sacred hat law, the hat could have a red band or something. At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards the coat trim. I suppose I could invert it--red coat with black trim--but that's too much red area when the outfit is supposed to be 90% black. Huh. This is proving to be difficult.

Coat-trim does sound like it could work, though... The hat might have as well, only if the skin wore a winter hat in winter to keep warm, he'd be wearing a hat on top of a hat... 

Perhaps on a form of belt or badge one could work some red in there, if the coat trim doesn't work out. 
 

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

but Wes already has one. And Wes' shadow skin is absolute perfection that needn't be touched,

....This is probably the most correct thing spoken on the forums ever- Kidding, but yes, definitely in agreement here. I like Wes's Shadow Skin a lot too. 
 

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Maybe the scarf can work if Woodie wears it differently from Wes. Wes' is more like a bandanna, so if Woodie wears it differently (like this or this or this), it could probably work.

Now those could work, I'd say, since they do seem pretty different from Wes's. As long as we emphasized the difference maybe, but it might be hard to emphasize the difference and make it look dangerous and evil at the same time, since Wes's scarf already does that... Look evil and intimidating, that is. And to have another 'evil-variety' scarf might still make it look pretty similar once the evil is added in.

 

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Something I'd like to do is draw the redesign like Woodie's sprite, to see if it could potentially work ingame. That should be a good test for whatever we come up with.

Working with the in-game sprite seems like an excellent idea, that way you can see what your doing as you work on the design. 

2 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Nightmare. please ignore Wilson's excessively long neck

20180531_154709.jpg

It definitely looks nightmare-y. The floating chess piece, shadow-eyes and the general pose gives him a 'haunted' or possessed look. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293

@gallusvarius I'm glad to hear we're on the same page. I'll get started on the design in a few days--I've got another illustration I want to finish first.

Thanks for the help! I'll see about incorporating your Shadow Lucy in the design as well, once I get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gallusvarius    298
1 minute ago, ResettePlayer said:

I'm glad to hear we're on the same page. I'll get started on the design in a few days--I've got another illustration I want to finish first.

Thanks for the help! I'll see about incorporating your Shadow Lucy in the design as well, once I get started.

I was never interested in being on a different page when I only gave this thought recently. ^^'

I didn't think my Shadow Lucy was really thoughtful enough to be incorporated. There's another 'shadow-lucy' that someone designed out there. But then, they only seemed to add bloodstains... 
Feel free to tweak it or make it more fitting somehow, a change of the runes or whatever from the imperfections bound to be present in my own idea for it. Lucy is Klei's idea to begin with, there's no copyright for me, I'd say, and I don't think I did my best, so she probably deserves better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293
Just now, gallusvarius said:

I was never interested in being on a different page when I only gave this thought recently. ^^'

I didn't think my Shadow Lucy was really thoughtful enough to be incorporated. There's another 'shadow-lucy' that someone designed out there. But then, they only seemed to add bloodstains... 
Feel free to tweak it or make it more fitting somehow, a change of the runes or whatever from the imperfections bound to be present in my own idea for it. Lucy is Klei's idea to begin with, there's no copyright for me, I'd say, and I don't think I did my best, so she probably deserves better.

Oh of course! I liked the wood-burning patterns and such, and having a highly decorated Lucy could balance out comparatively minimalist Woodie. Maybe. I don't actually know. I just like the idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    36,367

The Wilson piece is simple but goes for the aesthetic you're going for. I also like how you did his hair. Going for some realism with the weight and height.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ResettePlayer    293
6 hours ago, minespatch said:

The Wilson piece is simple but goes for the aesthetic you're going for. I also like how you did his hair. Going for some realism with the weight and height.

Thank you! Wilson's hair works well in a cartoon style, but once you start heading in a more realistic direction it gets difficult. I try to keep the general triangle-shape of his head in mind, as well as the W.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now