Did I accidentally cheese-kill the game for myself?

Hey. So like, I've been enjoying this game immensely, it's super cool. But I kinda lost any sense of progression/goal. At first I had a plan to build a nice base, set up renewable everything, yada yada, to be able to survive boss attacks and stuff.

But then I found out a few things.

a) you should not fight anything in your base. Hounds will burn it down, bosses will mash it all up and ruin all the efforts. There's no upside to building any walls whatsoever, is there? The best way is to fight everything away from the base. Or best yet...

b) ...in a beefalo herd. So I've discovered that those guys will smack bosses and stuff around. When Deerclops spawned I just took him to the heard, got Clops meat, some beefalo meat to make it even better, no downside to it whatsoever. I've set up right beside the herd so it's just a small stroll towards it. Granted, bearger actually rekt one part of the herd in one fell swoop before I realized he could do it and kited him away, but...

c) ...bosses despawn anyway. I didn't need to make any gunpowder, sleep darts, old bells, anything really. I kited bearger away, got him to chop me some trees, left him fighting with some treant and moved away for the night. Wanted to continue the tree-chopping in the morning, but he was already gone.

So basically, my question is, did I cheese the game too much somehow? I mean, there's no point in building up my base any further (I'm nearing day 100). No point in setting up any walls or traps cause I can't defend inside it anyway, it's not safe for the base. Making fancy tactical weapons such as darts and gunpowder seems unnecessary. Never even used my small pig-village I thought I might need. I've got 4 flingomatics, 2 ice boxes, 9 drying racks, a chest with pine cones (and 8 chests with other cool, but probably useless things), and neat berry bush/twigs/grass farms. Didn't even procure 1 nightmare fuel yet, but I don't see what I could possibly need it for.

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question/concern, I'm a newb when it comes to this sort of games. And not really a hardcore player, I'm not after a wild difficulty like Lights Out or something as crazy :) I was just kind of expecting a chill, but demanding experience that would require me to utilize everything the game has to offer in order to survive and make my base an efficient place to bunker in and consider it a safe thrive-heaven once I set everything up correctly :<

Day 100 is really early still. For me the thrill is magebasing, check those out on Youtube or Twitch for some inspiration. In terms of "progression" there's still the Caves and subsequently the Ruins, where the Ancient Guardian is, your post makes it seem like you haven't done any of that business yet.

To put some use to your Pigmen set up a Berry/Gobbler farm and you can then use Monster Meat to turn the Pigmen into Werepigs and feed them the Berries for unscrupulous amounts of manure.

You could world hop for a more interesting map.

Check out Adventure Mode for an interesting and challenging experience.

Go to Shipwrecked for an entirely new playing experience, really in the end this is a Sandbox game and you're meant to create your own goals. There are tons of cool resource farms and **** you can setup like using the Pinecone glitch to super farm logs with The Old Bell, or setup a Bee Village, or just make your own cool Set Pieces for the artsy side of it. I always enjoyed making Spider Den villages populated with Bunnyman Hutches. There's tons of **** to do, you just have to be willing to make a goal and work on it.

In my experience, Shipwrecked will not satisfy you, as you get a lot of good gear from treasure, making the game even cheesier after a few ingame days (though the durability runs out eventually).

Adventure mode is a good challenge, but you should try to conquer the caves first.

If you want to spruce things up, install mods!

Hah, I have seen that video of 5000 days megabase and it sure is impressive, my problem with that is, I was very much enjoying building the base and hoarding items, but only as long as I genuinely thought I would need them. I didn't kill the guardian yet, no, but it's just... I don't know, I would happily strive to if he had something I would need to survive, but otherwise it doesn't feel like a goal.

But reading through your comments, I guess it's just the game design type here :) Focused more on just building things up and indeed setting up one's own goals with the game only demanding the basics from the player. I always need a kick in the butt to get things done, be it life or games so that might be why just building a base that I don't need is not something I can get myself to do :D

I might try Adventure Mode, but that, on the other hand, takes away the "build your neat base and set yourself up to survive" aspect out of it a bit hah.

Oh well, it was fun when it lasted, I enjoyed the whole learn-the-game and actually-don't-starve part of it and planning everything up until the point I realized I didn't need to haha. Thank you for the replies :)

You don't always have to resort to the cheese options, but they are there so you have more recourse to kill or be killed. Giants don't always despawn when off-screen, the Bearger probably met the 'has seen your base, then lured away' condition.

BTW Bosses don't despawn after a while, if you put in this code into the debug menu you'll teleport to the bearger.

c_gonext("bearger")

BTW in winter spring and summer he will be asleep and if you wake him his yawn will put you to sleep, he will eventually eat himself to death as well. also try adding some mods that makes the game a bit more challenging like super hound waves.

I feel like you're flip flopping. I feel like you've made it to 100 days and you're scared of doing new riskier things because you're scared of losing this play through. I've had that feeling. I think a good idea is making another play slot game (as a different character). That way if you become more confident in your skills and become more willing to take more risks. Only then can you do things you don't "need" and that you may want to try to achieve certain items that bosses drop or from the ruins. Take it all in small steps.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of  the huge 5k bases. I've seen some players have 5k days and are scared to even go into the caves other than get a few lightbulbs and run back out. There is so much that player hasn't discovered from the game. I've seen video clips of the houndius shootius and it seemd so cool that I made it my goal to kill the ancient guardian for the horn and make one. I did it, felt great but now I feel like it's kind of over rated. But in that process of trying to conquer the caves and somewhat the ruins, I've come into other things like the thulecite crown/thulecite suit armor. Even though I've mined most of the cave, I want the slurtle/snurtle armor drops.

Also playing different characters, you learn each character's strength and weaknesses -- their special abilities and deficiencies. As for the weapons, you should make them all --- they give you different choices. If you avoid all the giants, you also avoid all their loot. I'll recruit the rocklobsters to deal with deerclops and moosegoose. I'll let the treeguards deal with bearger (and reap the benefits of the wood). No easier way to deal with the destructive Dragonfly than to drop it 20 ashes (staying close by) and watching it fall to sleep so you can light 14 gunpowder for the scale that you can turn into scalemail or for the fireproof scaled chest.

As for nightmare fuel, you use that with living logs and make the dark sword which is one of the more powerful weapons in the game. At some point you will want to farm the spider nests, pig, kill krampus etc. Just because you don't NEED it doesn't mean you shouldn't want it because it could make your survival much more easier so that you can do other projects.

Why are you playing the game?

I play it because I want to live in the middle of the Ruins 24/7.

I play it because I find joy in creating a Night Sword and Night Armor mass production plant.

If you just want to survive and not do anything fancy, there are cheesier methods.

1. As Wendy, Spider Eggs + Crock Pot + Birdcage = All food problems solved.

2. Build a Rock Lobster pen. Depth Worm Attacks Solved.

3. Ice Box + Thermal Stone = Summer Solved.

4. Being in Caves = No Boss Spawns = Bosses Solved.

5. (Optional) Move all resources near your base like trees, grass tufts, and twigs.

10 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Two words: fire farms.

That part with the monkeys has given me a new way to torture the little buggers.

...serves them right for killing me and then stealing my shiz. XC

Which gives me something to say slightly more relevant.

Make a base in the middle of the splumonkeys. Dew it.

I guarantee that if you do that, you'll be singing to my tune as well. XD

Archived